log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E [IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’


log in or register to remove this ad


GreenKarl

First Post
GM: Note that everyone gains +1 to all Skill rolls for the journey do to the good food that was provided. Unless you already added that ;)
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa agrees wholeheartedly with Ulfred.

"For all the evil in the world, there are still beautiful things out there. Ye just need to open yer eyes to enjoy them."

The scene lifts her spirits at not finding any game yesterday - apparently there is plenty here, and Ursa is glad she did not have to shoot one of those magnificent stags.

OOC: Perception (including the +1): [roll0]
 
Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
The heroes all marvel at the majesty of the herd and the rest of the day they fell an extra spring in their steps, finding themselves smiling for no reason. As twilight falls a mist rolls in from the north. Beldor points out a single dock ahead where he is too meet his friends. Within a half-hour a trio of rafts emerge from the mist on the river. Green-cloaked figures punt these rafts towards the shore.

The Elves greet Baldor and the company warmly – the merchant is well known to them. The Elves are also quite amused and fascinated by Belgo; they say there are few children among them in these days.

The ponies are unloaded and their burdens transferred to the rafts. The animals are initially wary about getting onto the rafts, but one of the Elves whispers in the ponies’ ears,
and instantly all four of the animals become perfectly calm, happily trot onto the rafts and stand stock-still in the middle.

Once departed, the Elves expertly pilot their rafts against the current of the Forest River. After several days of slow travel, the land on either side of the rafts rises and turns stony and wooded, and the company pass into the shadow of the trees. It is as though the rafts are sailing up a dark tunnel, as the branches interlace overhead into a dark canopy. The company glimpse tall hills in gaps between the trees, until the river widens and the trees grow thinner once again. Here, a bay opens, and huts cling close to a shingly shore. The Elves steer up a stream which flows out of a rocky canyon. The canyon walls grow higher and higher, until the rafts pass a portcullis and suddenly they find themselves at the entrance into the outer caves of the Elvenking.

At these new docks, Beldor is meet by another Elf whom greets him and Belgo warmly. With a slightly more weary eye the Elf turns towards the heroes. In Sindarin, he greets Caranthir as 'Traveler', and too all he speaks to them in the Common Tongue saying "Well meet friends of Beldor. I am Lindar, master of the King's Cellars. I mean no insult but we do not know you. I would ask that you remain here and... guard these wares with my men. You will be provided food and shelter. Beldor and his son will return within a day or two..."



GM: In the halls of the Elven-king, it is expected that one of the heroes makes a DC 15 Intelligence (Traditions) check. Less educated heroes might make a DC 20 Charisma (Persuasion) check instead. Whomever does so gains a +1 because of the food and another +1 because you have an Elf in your group. You can gain other bonuses (or penalties) with role-playing stuff and acting in a certain way, etc. These bonus can come any ANY character (not just the one making the check).

Remember everyone has two Inspiration Points and that you can spend them after you have made a check.

Also as everyone made their rolls above you all get to ignore the first level of Exhaustion on your... next Journey (the meat of this adventure)
 
Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
“Well met, Lindar, master of the King’s Cellars,” Ulfred said as he bowed, “while I understand you caution and I respect your decision, we have spent a long time on the road and I for one have always wanted to see the great halls of the Elves. We humans live such short lives and our works pale in comparison to your great deeds, if I were granted the chance to see your great hall I would be forever grateful.”

OOC:
Lore check +3 plus +2 other bonus: 1d20+5 16
I put lore instead of traditions but it is the same +3 bonus
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa is feeling somewhat overwhelmed. She looks at the surroundings with awe and hesitates to speak lest she offends the elves. Sure she has seen elves before, like the one travelling with them, but that has always been away from their homeland. This feels more... magical.

She nods as the elf introduces himself as Lindar, and she whispers in return, "Ursa, of the Bear," then lowers her eyes before immediately looking back up. Feeling her cheeks redden, she chastizes herself quietly. What is she, a blushing teenager? She's a warrior, and a student of the great Beorn Skinchanger!

Realizing something, Ursa drops her bag and starts rummaging through it. Grinning, she produces a bundle of sweet smelling honey-cakes and she takes one out to present it to the master of the Elven King's cellars.

"I hope you enjoy this lovely honey-cake. Made them myself."

OOC: Neither Traditions nor Persuasion have any bonuses, so it's just a plain d20 roll for me: [roll0]
Edit: I forgot about the bonuses from the food and the elf, so there's a +2 to the roll. Let's hope the honey-cake adds something more... :) Not re-rolling with Inspiration, because I'm curious how the elf would react to the offering of food if I don't make the check. :D
 

GreenKarl

First Post
Lindar accepts the honey-cake with a nod and takes a few small bites. He gave Ursa a slight smile and thanked her before wrapping it up and placing it in a pouch at his side. He seemed to consider Ulfred's words carefully and after a moment replied "It would be most unusual for outsiders to be granted access to our Halls on their first visit, even with Kin amount you numbers. Let me consider it while I also meet with Beldor... mayhaps, but not tonight. I will send food to you."

With that he bows to the heroes and he and Beldor and Belgo depart for some upper caves. Those elves remaining are the trio that brought the boats here and they show the heroes side caves where wooden cots were set with light mattresses. There was also a small fire set near the center of the cave under a venting shaft that allowed the smoke to escape and added a cozy warmth to the room. The elves say that the group might rest as they will remain on watch. Later a fine dinner and wine from the Elf-King's kitchen is sent down and the heroes eat and drink their full.

The next two days are spent much the same way although new elves appear to replace the boatmen for watch duties. They are all polite and are happy enough to share a conversion with the heroes about any pleasant affairs of the Realm. Food in the form of finely made bread, cheeses, poached eggs, seasoned venison and various potatoes and spouts are provided for each meal along with fine wines.

On the morning of the second day Lindar, Beldor and Belgo all reappear, the lad beaming with joy and wonderment. Reflected in the sunlight the heroes see that the boy is proudly displaying a fine silver tailsman necklace.

Beldor then came to the heroes and said "I know I have no right to ask but I have been granted a task by the Elves to deliver a message Woodland Halls of Beorn. I have also a few new items that I might sell for a fine profit at least. I was wondering if you would continue to act as our guards through Mirkwood as we follow the Elf-Path. My friend has said that while it is not as safe as ancient days, it is far safer then it has been in years. So long as we remain along the path we should be fairly secure and with the three of you I am sure we can make it through the forest without trouble. Again I would pay you each 50 silver pennies if you agreed..."

Lindar also says to Ulfred "I have spoken with the King's steward and we have agreed to allow you see some of our halls... on your way to the Elf-Path ​which is on the other side of the Hall."

GM: This part of the journey is not planned BUT you still benefit from the food and provisions that Beldor set up. The roles for the journey include...
*Guide - in charge of the route, rest and supplies. Their Wisdom helps determine the Challenges along the way and they will need to make a few Survival checks.
*Scout - in charge of setting up camp, opening new trails. They can also affect Challenges and Events, depending on their Investigation and Stealth checks.
*Hunter - provide extra food which can make tests verse Exhaustion better. Require Survival checks.
*Look-Out - keeping watch along the trail and can affect Events along the way. Use Perception checks to determine future events along the way

You don't need to roll these yet but might want to determine who is doing what. You can only assume one task during the journey, and with only three heroes one role is probably going to be unassigned. A guide is about the ONLY required role though.
 

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred smiled as he tried to contain his excitement. Bowing towards Lindar he spoke quietly, “It is an honor, and I am in your debt.”

Looking over to Beldor he spoke a little louder, “I can’t speak for the other’s but I will be happy to help you on the next leg of your journey.”

OOC:
Ulfred has no issues being the guide.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa grins.

"Back to Beorn? Sure, I'm in. Can't wait to see the look on his face when I return earlier than expected."

OOC: I'm cool with Ursa being the Hunter. In addition, she has those honey-cakes, which allows the party to remove the first layer of exhaustion on a journey (Twice-baked Honey-cakes cultural virtue).
 


GreenKarl

First Post
Beldor thanks each of the heroes individually, saying "The day we meet was truly a blessing for me and my whole family. I am forever in your debts." Belgo is of course ecstatic and practically hops up and down in front of Ursa about continuing his 'lessons in the ways of the warrior'.

Lindar also thanks the heroes, adding if you can make yourself ready I will return in an hour and lead you to the Forest Gate which will take you to the Elven Path. We have had Beldor's goods and supplies moved to there already. The journey should take you two weeks to pass through the Mirkwood. I must advise that you stay on the path for if you falter you may never find it again. These days the wood is not so dark and the path is safer then in days past but danger and shadows still lurk under her leaves."

After the heroes gather their belongings and gear and meet again with the Elf. He leads the heroes up a broad staircase carved into the stone that opens to a majestic forest grove. At first all the heroes can see are the beautiful trees and well cultivated forest floor. But then, blended masterfully into the trees and forest, they see elegantly carved silver staircases leading up many of the trees, with softly glowing white doors shine brightly under silver hanging lanterns. Thin towers of gray stone are seen under a soft blanket of green mosh. Soothing voices of intermixing songs seem to flow through the entire area as Lindar leads the heroes through only one small section of the Elf-Kings Realm!

All to quickly the heroes have past beyond the city proper and find themselves at a large beautiful wooden gate that seems like it might have been grown instead of carved. Beyond is a narrow stone path that leads to a fast flowing river. Two long Elf-Boats were moored on the docks with a crew of two green clad rowers each. "Behold the Enchanted Stream my friends." proclaims Lindar. "A great pride of our King but bewarned. Do no drink from the stream for it can enhance even an Immortal."

The Elf boatman take the heroes across the river -- yet another beauty to behold -- to a wide forest path. On each sides of this path stood two ancient stone status of Elf Warriors of Old and yet, so fine was the work, that each almost looks alive and frozen in stone. Their armour and finery perfectly represented as their gaze seems to meet passerbyes to tread wearily beyond this point.

"Fare thy well" Lindar says at this point "Beyond is the Greenwood of Old and how we weep for its passing. The trail is well marked and relatively safe, but maintain your vigilance. If you pass this way again know that you have proven to be at least allies of the King and mayhaps one day... you will be known as friends." With that he and the Elf boatman turn and leave the group for the journey ahead.

The path stretches out before them and at least here the light from the sun easily penetrates down through the
canopy. But all can sense the change -- that somewhere beyond -- are things that have only hate in their hearts from a spite that has poisoned their hearts.

GM: *Travel through Mirkwood, even along the Elf-Path, is arduous. This journey has a Peril Rating of 3.
*The road from the Enchanted Stream to the Forest Gate is 160 miles (on the other side of the Mirkwood), making it a Medium journey. Roll 1d2+1 for the number of challenges. The DC for any journey events is 15.
*The darkness of the forest weighs heavily on the company’s spirits. Travellers in wild lands like the forest must make two Wisdom saving throws (DC 15); each failed saving throw gives 1 point of Shadow.

The adventures has the events already planned. How the heroes come upon them depend on rolls, etc.
The results of your rolls below have an effect on the encounter, surprise, etc.
*1/2 the Guides Wisdom Modifier will affect the encounter (already taken into account). The Guide must make two DC 15 Survival checks.
*If you have a Scout, you must make two DC 15 Investigation or Stealth (player's choice) checks.
*If you have Hunter, you must make two DC 15 Survival checks.
*If you have a Lookout, you must make two DC 15 Perception checks.
Remember you have a +1 to all Skill rolls for these checks.

Finally everyone must also make DC 15 Constitution saves or Athletic skill check (player's choice). Failure can cause Exhaustion levels BUT remember you can ignore both BUT they can still have an affect at certain points along the path for each failure.

We are going to have some role-playing along the journey also but the rolls might as all well take place right now and their affects applied during the events ;)
 

Tesseract

First Post
Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
“What a place!” Ulfred exclaims as he resettles his pack. “Oh there will tales to tell at the best taverns in Dale of this adventure. Walking through Mirkwood, just the five of us.”


Ulfred looked around at the group, “Well best be going the sooner we start, the sooner the tale of our adventure can be spread. “ Ulfred smiled “Well the adventure will spread as long as the liquor flows am I right?”


 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa smiles at her companions, though she remains silent. The beautiful scenery has made her feel small, and she feels both blessed to experience it and sad that she will be but dust long before these ancient trees wither.

Also she feels a familiar pressing sensation at the back of her neck. Something, just beyond the line of sight, is watching, waiting. And it's filled with hate and evil.

OOC: Hunter survival checks: [roll0] [roll1] - both successes
Two Wisdom saves versus Shadow: [roll2] [roll3] - both successes
Two Athletics checks: [roll4] [roll5] - one success, one failure

[*Travel through Mirkwood, even along the Elf-Path, is arduous. This journey has a Peril Rating of 3.
*The road from the Enchanted Stream to the Forest Gate is 160 miles (on the other side of the Mirkwood), making it a Medium journey. Roll 1d2+1 for the number of challenges. The DC for any journey events is 15.
*The darkness of the forest weighs heavily on the company’s spirits. Travellers in wild lands like the forest must make two Wisdom saving throws (DC 15); each failed saving throw gives 1 point of Shadow.
Does that mean one of us players needs to roll that 1d2+1? [roll6] Not very familiar with those travel rules yet. :)
 

GreenKarl

First Post
OOC: Does that mean one of us players needs to roll that 1d2+1? [roll6] Not very familiar with those travel rules yet. :)

GM: No the effects come later in the adventure and gaining Shadow can lead to Shadow-Weakness and a new Condition BUT not yet.

Also @Tesseract you need a second Stealth check (also at advantage), plus the Wisdom and Constitution/Athletic save please
 

GreenKarl

First Post
The Mirkwood was still a beautiful and majestic forest to behold, even though a shadow of some evil had fallen over it like a cold blanket. Might trees from ancient days cloaked the sky above and strange smelling pollen seemed to fall everywhere. And yet it was still so wondrous. The party with Beldor and Belgo shouldered their their packs and set off down the trail in high spirits. That first day uneventful as the walked deeper towards the heart of the forest.

Before nightfall, Ursa had scored a couple of small pheasants and a patch of tasty forest carrots to add to their evening meal. After the camp had been established and watches assigned, the party rested easily that first night. The next two days and nights past much the same. Walking down the Elf-Path and through the forest. At times the forest grew close to choking off the trail, but so-long as a traveler was vigilant and heeded the Elf-Warnings, the party easily remained on the trail. Ursa continued to supplement the party's stores with fresh vegtibales and the occasional small game animal - the forest full of great bounty.

On the third day under the leaves of the Mirkwood, Caranthir found an excellent place to rest that eve, where the path opened into a pleasant, grassy forest clearing. He realized this spot as one of the open-air feast-halls of the Elvenking, although this particular field has not been used in many years. A sparkling stream of fresh water ran along the edge of the clearing. As company made camp young Belgo threw himself down on the grassy floor with great joy at the discovery.

GM: Still waiting for @Tesseract's extra checks but they don't affect the first part.
Assuming you are going to set watches, in what order might you want to set them?

Good place for RPGing also as the first event is about to begin
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa smiles. "This is a great place ye found, elf. I just hope that's not the infamous man-eating elf grass of legend."

When Belgo looks at her, shocked, Ursa bursts out laughing. "Fooled you! There's no such thing as man-eating elf grass."

Then she looks at Caranthir. "Right?"

OOC:
GM: Still waiting for @Tesseract's extra checks but they don't affect the first part.
Actually he edited his post to add the extra checks, right after your last post.

GM: Assuming you are going to set watches, in what order might you want to set them?
Ursa can use her special ability to scout around in spirit bear form at night, although that means she cannot take a watch. At least, the rules do not specify if it counts as a rest when she does that, but it seems logical that she's sort-of awake.

Would anyone object if Ursa scouts around at night instead of taking a watch?
 

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred laughed as Ursa joked with the boy. “Man-eating elf grass, now that would be a tale. Not exactly the heroic way I would want to be remembered though.”

Ulfred chuckled as he looked around waiting to see if Caranthir would put the tale to rest, or string the boy along.
 

Tesseract

First Post
Caranthir

Caranthir squints at Ursa for a long moment before answering her. ”No! No such a thing. At least in my experience.” Then slowly glances around at the others for effect.
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top