log in or register to remove this ad

 

5E [IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

GreenKarl

First Post
Belgo gets excited at Ulfred's words and starts asking Caranthir to tell a tale of the enchanted woods, with or without man-eating grasses. "Oh I heard back in town that there are trees that move and sing at night. Is that true Master Caranthir?? Do you know any stories about walking trees? Do they eat people??"

Beldor simply smiles lightly. As night overtakes the forest, deep shadows stretch over the campsite. Ursa feels a cold shadow deep in the forest as she has many nights but tonight it seems... close. Not like just outside the camp but within a few miles. Caranthir with his Elf Sight notes that darkness is falling the nearby stream has a soft glow upon it. The others don't seem to notice this. Ulfred's gaze was at the small patch of the night's sky that he could see through the canopy - the stars shinning bright above. It would be very cold tonight and he thought there would be frost in the camp by morning...
 

log in or register to remove this ad

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa shivers, and she looks around with concern.

"Stay close to me," she says to Belgo softly, protectively. "Something is haunting the forest, and I don't want it to find us tonight."

The warrior woman looks at Ulfred and Caranthir. "Beorn has taught me how to scout ahead without moving from my spot, but I will be vulnerable then. Will you watch over me?"

With that, Ursa finds a comfortable spot to rest, her axe within easy reach and the boy to her other side, and very softly she starts humming an eldritch tune. This goes on for a few minutes, and then suddenly stops. She seems to be deep in sleep, and all is quiet until a bear moves out of nearby bushes and away from the group at a trod.

OOC: Night-goer virtue, to swiftly explore an area within three days of travel in spirit bear form, until sunrise wakes Ursa. She will try to stay out of harms way (because any damage suffered is transferred to her body at the moment of awakening) and try to find out what the 'cold shadow' in the woods is, without engaging it.
 

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred wrapped his fur lined cloak tightly around him. “Best layer up if you can, it’s going to be a cold one tonight.”

Nodding to Ursa, Ulfred flashed a smile, “We will watch over you my friend, may Beorn grant you safe travels.” Turning to the others Ulfred nodded, “It’s nights like these that make me wish I had a magical flask that never ran dry . . .alas my flask is full of water and my bones are chilled, but tomorrow, tomorrow will be a grand day.”

OOC:
Don’t know if she will need it be able to use it but Ulfred will grant Ursa an inspiration die
 


GreenKarl

First Post
The heroes along with Beldor and his son set in for the night. Ursa staring into the fire enters a deep trance as her spirit bear leaves her and forms just outside the camp. It swiftly moves off into the woods and began exploring. Back in camp the others have settled into their beds as Caranthir watches to stream with a weary eye. The night is indeed cold and a light fog form around the woods of the camp.

Ursa sees many great beast in her wandering -- mighty stags and herds of skittish deer, pack of grey wolves stalking a pair wild boars, game birds and ground animals in great abundance. The forest is alive. But she also sees shadows that fill her with dread -- still live elk encased in thick webs hanging high in a tree, a small clearing blighted black with unwholesome rot, a dead fox with vile reddish pus leaking from its mouth and open sores across its body. As the night wears on she comes up a ancient structure. At first she thought it was simply a hill but then she could make out the walls and old buildings covered over with vegetation and thick ivory vines. There was a great coldness and evil feel about this place. The enemy was strong here. As the bear notices the first glow of the rapidly approaching morning she hears the scurrying of multiple legs and the smell of rotting flesh and -- something.

Within the camp the night past without event except the dropping of the temperature and slight thickening of the fog. The elf was startled a bit by a soft cry from the sleeping figures as Beldor rolled out of his bedroll and stomped his feet. "Blenky enough fer snow I reckon" he mutters too himself before notice the elf. Striding towards Caranthir and speaking in a low tone not to wake the others "Sorry lad, I had me a bad dream. And then to wakes to this cold. Humpf. Wells I be awake now might as well see to the packs aye?"

With that the old man moves over and starts organizing the groups packs, checking ties and knots, and grabs a bite to eat. After a few minutes to heads to the tree line to take care of his morning business...

A still falls over the camp as the deep darkness of the night begins to fade. To the elf's eyes the stream still has a strange glow about it as so too now the fog seems to take on this glow. Caranthir has never seen such a wonder before, yet he remains wary of it, not really understanding what old magic this might be.

The silence of the camp is broken a great cry of fear. Glancing towards the tree line Caranthir sees that Bedlor has moved towards where the stream entered the clearing and had just stood straight up and cried out in fear. His lips and chin where wet where he had just taken a drink from the running water. He was looking about in a confused and frightened state. "Where am I..." he said.

Belgo and Ulfred had both been awoken by Beldor's cry, the young lad blinking wildly saying "What is it father?" The old man looked at the boy with fear and then at the elf and human in the camp. "Who are you? Where am I? Where... there is fire under the Mountain! Those fools have woken the dragon! I must find Halla! I... you’ve kidnapped me! You rogues! Where is my son Belgo?" The man then looks about and bolts back into the trees!!!

GM: Its almost morning when Ursa came upon the ruins. She thinks its a couple of miles south of the camp. Kind of a bit of meta with Beldor whom bolts before anyone can do anything... Heroes actions? Remember only Ulfred and Caranthir are awake right now. Ursa can be awoke with an actions. And then there is young Belgo...
 
Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred woke with a start at Beldor’s cry, his head clearer than normal as it was not laden by the residue of a night of drinking. “What in the blazes,” Ulfred muttered as he shook Ursa in an attempt to wake her.

“Belgo, don’t do anything foolish, best to stay calm and stay with Ursa and I.”

OOC:
Ulfred will use his action to try to shake Ursa awake.
 
Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
As the bear-spirit Ursa was watching, a shadowy form of -- something big -- started crawling over the ruined walls of the structure. She heard the low hiss of it -- when suddenly she was awake and back in camp! Ulfred was gently shaking her out of her trance...
 

Tesseract

First Post
Caranthir

Caranthir hops to his feet. His first thought is to go running after the man who seems to not know him. But, he instead waits for the others to ready themselves before heading into the unknown.
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Disoriented by the sudden waking, Ursa growls softly, bear-like, before coming to her senses.

"Wha- what's going on?" she says to Ulfred, then turns to Belgo. "Stay with me, boy. Get out your practice sword and follow my lead."

Quickly she grabs her own axe and gets up, looking around to see what's going happening. All thoughts of the evil she witnessed just before waking are far away now, although they will return when things settle down.
 

GreenKarl

First Post
The trio quickly gathered up their gear and within a few moments, they headed into the forest to follow Beldor. Normally they might have been slowed attempting to track someone through the woods but in Beldor's case he trampled through the muddy ground near the stream, leaving a deep footprints even a Dwarf could follow. Ursa quickly figured that the poor fellow was heading straight towards the ruined structure she had seen in her bear and that the man was running flat out through the trees in a blind panic. Could the man's heart take such extremes?

Within half an hour of following his obvious tracks through the dark woods they suddenly end as if the man disappeared completely or learned to fly... looking about their were some thick strands of web here and there where the merchant disappeared.

GM: A successful DC 10 Intelligence (Investigation) check
[sblock=success]Baldor blundered into a spider-web at such speed that he pulled the web off the trees it was anchored to. Looking around finds drag marks on the ground. He must have gotten tangled up in the web, then something dragged him off deeper into the woods.[/sblock]

The heroes then heard a scream some distance in front of them, Belgo muttering in fear "Father..." Ursa recognized the area as very close to the old ruins where she had sensed the shadows. It was only past the crop of dark trees before them.

Just beyond, in a small clearing before the ruins themselves, Heimdar shock his head in confusion. Where am I? he thought as he seemed to become aware of his surroundings once again. It was the cry of panic and fear that seemed to have broken whatever spell had been upon him. Glancing that way he spotted a ancient ruins of some bygone structure on the other side of the clearing from where he stood. Something entrapped within a cocoon of webbing was being dragged over one of the plant chocked walls and its muffled cries were of Danish origins!

GM: OK introducing Heimdar character. In this setting and for the game here everyone will probably be able to see the others as all on the same side (in opposing the Shadow) as it where.
The main group may come bursting through the tree line or approach with stealth. If so, everyone needs to make a Stealth roll. This will be verses Heimdar's and the others Passive Perception.

Heroes Actions?
 

Fradak

Explorer
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

Fatigued by his too long journey, Heimdar kneeled, trying to spot any movement among the ruins. Traces of red marks could be seen on the Woodman's face, the signs of his commitment to his task.They were painted weeks ago, when his hunt for vengeance began. For all clothing, a leather armor and a grey hide were protecting him. Several axes were hanging from his belt and a long bow was on his back.

The hunter traveled too far from his home and he had lost all his friends in this madness. He realised that, but he had nothing left to live for in his homeland. The only sens he could give to his life was to keep going.

Heimdar picked up some dirt and smelled it before rubbing it on his hands. Yggmir, his black wolfhound, stepped out of the shadows, growling. "Yeah... You're right. I don't like that neither." He sighted and rose up "It's not our fight, sorry lad. Come on, Yggy. The sun will rise soon, lets go." He was ready to leave when Yggmir turned her head toward the woods, she had heard something, or someone, coming.

OOC: Yggmir passive perception is 20.

[sblock]


[/sblock]
 
Last edited:

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred sighed heavily as he looked at the ground. “It looks like Baldor ran into a large spider-web.” Ulfred shook his head, “there are drag marks, this isn’t good. ”

“I know this may be dire, but I suggest we move with caution.”
Ulfred said, with a forced grin, as he tried to display a calm expression.

OOC:
Ulfred is going to attempt to move with stealth, but if one of the others wants to charge ahead let’s do it.  Not like it will matter with that stealth roll
Investigation check: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

Stealth check: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4

Ulfred is moving forward with this bow and arrow so AC is 14

[sblock=Combat]
Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Greatbow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing [/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
"If he's caught by one of them spiders I saw in my trance, we'd better be quick," Ursa says urgently, and she rushes forward, looking around to see if she can find signs of spiders or Belgo.

After what seems like only a few strides forward, she spots a large large woodsman and a big dog by his side.

"Halt!" the woman warrior shouts, with confusion clear in her voice. She expected a large spider, or perhaps orcs, but not a seemingly normal man. Or is he?

"What have you done with Beldor?"

She halts her motion several metres away from Heimdar, her axe low but ready to use it. The small, muscled woman is obviously a fierce fighter; a few strands of her brown hair move before her eyes, but they do not diminish the fierce yet haunted look in her grey-blue eyes as she studies the woodsman intently.
 


Fradak

Explorer
"Easy Yggmir, easy." The dog reacted instinctively to the verbal aggression by growling toward the newcomers, but his master calmed the hound down while assessing the woman.

"It's a big axe you have there, woman... Be careful with that."
replied Heimdar who doesn't like to be wrongly accused.

"Although I like killing, this one was not my kind of prey... Your Beldor is behind this wall, but he got some company. It wont be easy to bring him back alive. How many other friends you have hiding behind you, Beorning?

After two weeks without talking to any human being, Heimdar was glad to hear the Anduin tongue even with a Beorning accent. She seemed keeping her nerves but she was not alone... The newcomers would be stressed by the disappearing of their comrade. And Heimdar had to dissuade anyone from becoming violent towards him. He had to deescalate the situation, using intimidation if necessary.


OOC: Intimidation: 2D20.HIGH(1)+3 = [10, 17]+1 = 18 To keep everyone cool.

Does Heimdar know what kind of poison those spiders could use?
Nature: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14
Is it just a sleep/paralyzing poison or some deadly poison?
 
Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
As the two groups come upon each other in the clearing before the ruins and face off with some weariness. The hound Yggmir's hackles where up and a low growling sound came from deep in its throat -- but the great dog's head was facing the ruins and not the second group.

As they drew closer to each other the smell of the place assaulted them -- a mixture of rotting flesh and something vile.

GM: Helmdar knows that most of the great Spiders of the Mirkwood have a short term paralyzing poison that can also make its victims nauseous. Most of their poison is short term though and does not generally kill as the spider enjoy eating "still-living" food
 

Fradak

Explorer
[IC] Adventures in Middle-Earth – ‘Where Rivers Run With Gold’

"Your friend might still be alive. If you... What is it Yggy? Easy girl... Wait, something's wrong."

Swiftly, Heimdar caught his bow and nocked an arrow.

"It looks like someone is still hungry."
 
Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
Heimdar could not see what had so unsettled Yggmir but he could hear the sounds of many legs stealthily moving about on the other side of the ruined wall...
 

eayres33

Explorer
Ulfred nodded his head at the wild looking man and his dog. He tried to hide his worry and his annoyance at all the noise they had been making. Between the noise he made going through the underbrush, the wolf and Ursa and the man talking the whole woods would know they were coming.

Ulfred held his index finger up to his mouth for a moment and he started to slowly circle the perimeter of the ruin his bow drawn.

OOC:
Ulfred will try to get a view of what is around the corner inching forward but staying far back from the wall.
AC currently 14

Stealth check: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14

Perception if applicable: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19

Investigation if it fits better: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3

[sblock=Combat]
Initiative: 2
AC 16/18 (leather corset and shield, when fighting with broadsword increases to 18)
HP: 20
Speed: 30
Broadsword +5 to hit 5ft 1d8+2 slashing
Greatbow +5 to hit 150/600ft 1d8+2 piercing [/sblock]
 

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ursa knows better than to ignore an animal's instinct, and she turns towards the old ruin, her stance defensive and ready.

Only now does she realize this is the place she came upon in her spirit form, and where she felt such a dark presence.

"Watch out," she whispers as Ulfred ventures forward cautiously, "I felt a terrible presence here during my patrol, only moments ago."

Ursa makes sure the scared boy stays close to her, and she positions herself between him and whatever awaits in the ruins.
 

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top