• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part III

o3caudata

First Post
Eskard readies his sword at the sound of the voice, and looks around suspiciously as the others talk. As the dwarf begins to run, Eskard points and laughs quitely too loudly. He hoists one of the bodies they're transporting and waits for the others to depart as well, following in suit.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Nethezar follows as well. The cleric mumbles incoherently to himself as he does so.

You soon find yourself at the appointed place. You see the same man with who you bartered for the scroll of invisibility sphere waiting for you. He seems confident, though he is also visibly guarded.

"I am glad that you have come. I am Allustan, as you may recall. I must admit that I am uncertain how to begin. I am also uncertain how much you know and how much you wish to know.

"But I do know that you have had dealings with Balabar Smenk. I expect that you know his position in Diamond Lake, at least as well as you need. I also know that you entered Dourstone Mine and that the cult of the Ebon Triad was within. Finally, I know that, shortly after leaving Smenk's residence, you were just attacked by a group of both humans and dwarves.

"Lest you suspect foul play on my part, it was by sheer happenstance that I saw the attack. I was, in fact, already going to attempt to contact you. The recent happenings only serve to make the contact more urgent.

"Again, I know not how much you know, but the group that entered the mine before went on my request. They were helping me put together pieces of a puzzle. I believe that the pieces stretch further than just Diamond Lake. I have an appointment that I must keep regarding these matters to meet a battle mage and old friend assigned to Blackwall Keep on the northern edge of the Mistmarsh.

"I am an old man, and well beyond my adventuring years. I would like to have your assistance in making the journey."

worthley

First Post
Bazrim, confused, begins to ask questions. "What do we do about our fallen friend here? And of our captive that we hope to get some information out of? And we are running low on some supplies. What are we to do about all that?"

Dichotomy

Explorer
"I thought you were missing one," Allustan replies. The sage thinks a moment silently, then continues. "There is no one in Diamond Lake that can easily take care of such a problem. But... I was planning to offer you gold if you could help me. But perhaps I can pay you with the opportunity to revive your friend quickly. The clerics at the Garrison do not have the strength of prayer in themselves sufficient to bring back the dead. However, I know that Valkus Dun does have one scroll with such power. He requisitioned it quite some time ago, in case there should be great need. He, however, is not likely to see your friend's death as a great need. I... may be able to convince him to use it for you."

The sage pauses a moment, trying to work things out in his head. "You likely do not have the raw resources to pay him for the scroll's use, and he may not have any desire to barter with you to exchange items for it. But, I have managed to keep a decent enough store from my adventuring days to serve as a banker, of sorts.

"If you will help me, I will convince Dun to use his scroll and I will serve as the exchanger of any goods you could offer to pay for it."

michael_noah

First Post
Kushnak huffs for a moment before acquiescing. "I would have preferred to do this on our own terms, but it appears your bargain is better than anything we would find elsewhere. I want you to know, though, that we will not be in your debt at all for this. We'll accompany you on the journey," he says as he looks back toward town, "but we make no promises after that."

Dichotomy

Explorer
Nethezar nods at Kushnak. "A good assessment. I suppose then we must decide which of our treasure we are willing to give up. I presume the scroll would be raise dead." After Allustan nods, Nethezar concludes, "5,000 gold, then."

worthley

First Post
"Well, we need to know what these things are first. So we know what they're worth and what would be useful to us. Then we can figure out what to trade for the use of the scroll."

Remove ads