IC: Dichotomy's Age of Worms Redux, Part VI

o3caudata

First Post
Kushnak mulls the rules for a moment before responding.

"How many battles will we engage in per day? Is there a restriction? Will we know in advance?"

"And what of dimensional travel? Or expulsion? Summoning of additional fighters? What about permanent changes to a foe? Blinding them for instance? Or cursing them? Are there limitations or prohibitions to possesing opponents magically? Or divining strategy and plans of others while battles are not underway?"

[sblock=oc]

For the preparing, we have almost no money now. (oops) I think glitter dust is probably a good idea. Depending on the # of fights per day, we might need to get other stuff too.

I'd suggest trying for a couple Detect X spells during the meet and greet too. I'd like to know who's what anyway.

[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
After Kushnak weighs in, Erdolliel adds another question. "And what of skill? Will we be facing warriors of a similar skill as us? I'd hate to accidentally remove the spleen of some kid that just doesn't know enough to flinch."[sblock=oc]Who needs money anyway? :) Erdolliel can craft glitterdust and maybe some other useful spells too. She know has permanent detect magic too. If we want to be detecting evil or stuff though, we'll need to stock up.

Does anyone have anything useful in their random crap piles? Erdolliel has a couple protection from evil potions laying around and scrolls of darkvision and fireball. and a scroll of comprehend languages which is worth it's resale now that she's permanenced it and all.

Oh and the skill question is basically, "will I get us in trouble if I use Cloudkill and our opponents are level 3 or less?"[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
Ekaym smiles as he is peppered with questions. "Enthusiasm! Excellent!"

He points at Erdolliel. "The total payout of 40,000 is broken up into segments for each battle you win. Winning the first battle nets 2,000. The second nets 5,000. Then 10. Then 20. Plus some trophies and such that are worth some gold. So, while there aren't 'runner-up' awards, if you make it all the way to the end before losing, you'll still keep whatever you earned on the way."

Ekaym then turns to Kushnak. "Only one battle per day, so you should expect your competition to really throw everything they've got at you. And the restrictions I've already mentioned are the only ones. So all those great things you mentioned... all allowed! Though if you start trying to read other people's minds or something between battles, you can probably expect trouble from the other gladiators if you are caught. But I already like how you are thinking!"

He then turns back to Erdolliel. "People have to pay quite a bit to get the manager's license that lets them enter. Kids with no business being there generally don't have the funds or the... ummm... stones... to take the risk. Everyone knows that it is POSSIBLE to get killed. As long as you don't 'accidentally' remove that spleen after a person has surrendered, you are fine."
[sblock=OOC]Glitterdust is one of Neth's bard spells, so he could cast it up to 4 times a day. Although it is also the same level spell as blindness/deafness, shatter, and silence, which could all be really useful spells for arena battles. He can make scrolls, too.

Neth doesn't have anything particularly useful in his "crap" pile. 8 acid flasks, one alchemist fire, one holy water. That's basically it.

Also, if you guys have any input on spell selection and strategy stuff for Neth, I'll gladly hear it. To the extent that arena battling would likely be more tactical than dungeon crawling, it would be cool for you guys to think up such tactics rather than me. (Which isn't to say that I'd intentionally make Neth sit around with his thumb up his butt, but you know what I mean.)[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
"Very well. I believe we have some planning to do. How should we contact you?"

[sblock=oc]
So then, first off. I'm done with not posting every day. Priorities are teh suxor.

As for the planning, things i think are good:

Scrolls for remove blindness. (crippling) 187.5 a pop to scribe(only neth?) 375 to buy.

Cure wands for recovery stuff.

We should pick a spell for my ring of counterspells. I like enervation maybe?
Sanctuary might be useful for Neth maybe
Dispel Magic, everyone who can prepare it should have one or 2 handy.
Something to take care of invisibility. glitterdust is good, but if we have spots for invisibility purge, it is likely to be valuable
We can use silence to our advantage potentially. Silence on an item, in a haversack maybe?

My plan, as always, is going to be 'be big, strong and decimating' Regardless of the opponent, divine power and righteous might. Flame strike, seering light, blindness for distance.

Crowd control stuff is always helpful.

Junk i have:
scrolls - Comp. Lang., Longstrider,Magic Weapon, Pro Evil, Chaos, sanct., LR,Remove Blind
potions - remove fear

Do we want to have any of the planning talk IC maybe?
[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Once alone, Erdolliel starts to strategize. "Alright, I can easily keep a dispell magic in my mind and a glitterdust. I doubt that the battles will go longer than 9 hours, so I will not be needing my extended mage armor, that leaves additional room for more scorching rays. I can increase your size, Kushnak, to make more formidable as well. In the arena, we shouldn't be working in close quarters."[sblock=oc]That's the basics for her[/sblock]

o3caudata

First Post
"Size shouldn't be a problem. I have the ability to do that myself."

"I will prepare a spell of restoration, in the unlikely event that one of us is significantly wounded in a way that our normal methods for healing are insufficient."

"There are several spells which could help make any of us more difficult to target on the battlefield. They may also assist us in a variety of situations."

[sblock=oc]
So, i want someone to make me a scroll of rage, and cast it on me using the extend rod right before the battle. :D

Ultimately, i think the more you guys can control and chip away at them, the easier it's going to be for me to smash things. Generally the same idea as always.

Also things which will help us/me:
Rage
Haste
Slow
Displacement
Mirror Image
Black Tentacles(could be KILLER with freedom of movement)
Stone skin(would be expensive, 650/shot to scribe or 800 to buy)
[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]Tentacles I got covered. :) Also improved invisibility. I will do a better post with spells I can handle in the morning.[/sblock][sblock=oc]Seriously?! The first post i made last night shows up after I post again finally this morning? sigh...[/sblock]

Last edited:

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=oc]en hates me, this is my 3rd attempt to post

rage is cool, erd doesn't have, bard scroll is cheaper. how do scrolls deal with concentration +1 round?

black tentatcles is in as is ice storm and greater invis

more later after meeting.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
Erdolliel listens to the list of suggestions from Kushnak with a small frown. "I can help with some of those, but we'd need to invest for many of them. With our current finances, we can probably get a couple key scrolls, but we may need to wait until we win a round or two for additional tricks."[sblock=oc]stone skin would be expensive, and it is the same slot as black tentacles, ice storm (which I think those two are a good 1,2 punch right? the trick would probably only work once, but we could tentacle them first, then ice storm them as Kushnak moves in and then let him run around with freedom of movement.) and greater invis.

Mirror Image is same slot as scorching ray, glitterdust, and hypnotic pattern (which might be useless??) so buying a scroll might be worthwhile.

the rest are same slot as fireball, dispell magic, and fly. So I'm open to suggestions. are both ice storm and fireballs good or redundant? a good opponent won't let us use them at all, but who knows how good the opponents will be :)

I'm not sure how much crowd control we need or what forms either.[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
As you get to talking about strategy, Ekaym smiles and gets ready to leave. "If you need me sometime before the Free Dinner, come ask for me here." He hands the trio a note with the name of a bar and some basic directions. "I'm not staying there, unless I find someone worth staying with," he adds a sly wink, "but I'll be around enough. Oh, and make sure you aren't late to the dinner!"
[sblock=OOC]I think scrolls re: concentration for a duration time would work just as if the person had cast the spell normally.

Tactically, if Neth is casting a lot of spells (since he can't fight at all like either of you), he might become a quick target of enemies. He's pretty squishy, so it might be good to figure out ways to keep him from dying. Sanctuary is probably a really good idea. I had forgotten about it. Either that, or just kill the enemies even faster.

I'd, of course, never want to assume what the enemies will do, but it certainly makes sense to think that anyone who doesn't completely suck will try to avoid clumping together to get nailed by a fireball. On the other hand, spells that virtually cripple a single person could be really effective against smaller groups of NPCs.

Neth might just open with his bard song and then let it last however long it can after that, on the hopes that you can defeat baddies quickly.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases