D&D 5E [IC] hafrogman's Hoard of the Dragon Queen

kuey1975

First Post
He bows slightly to Carad.

"That must have been quite the shot. I am impressed."

Carad looked uncomfortable with the attention he was getting. He stuttered in reply, "It... it was just a lucky shot."

Pausing for a while, he added on in query, "Governor, any word from the mill?"

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
Nighthill shakes his head.

"No, no word. If they are just building this hoard as the prisoner suggested, perhaps it is too low priority to them. It would be a blow to the town, but there is little chance of us getting any scouts out there with the keep still surrounded."

kuey1975

First Post
Carad pondered briefly, before he replied, "We managed to exit and enter the keep through the forgotten tunnels. The enemies seem not to know of it." Concerned over the well-being of the villagers who might have taken refuge there, he continued, "If you wish, we could investigate the mill and make sure the villagers are safe?" Turning to Morgan, he quickly added, "Lieutenant, that is if you agree." Through the facade of elven serenity, Carad appeared to be increasingly restless over the helplessness he was feeling.

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan just wanted to rest; she had nearly died just a short while ago. But she shared Carad's concern over the potentially trapped civilians at the mill. Slowly rising to her feet, she said, "Sure, We all have to die sometime." Looking to Governor Nighthill, she finished, "Have there been any other developments at the mill that we should know about?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
He shakes his head again.

"No, as I said, we haven't sent anyone out there nor heard word. Even through the tunnels, I wouldn't send anyone out there alone. You have all done so much for us, and I do not even know if there are any refugees there. I would not ask you to go chasing off after what may be a fool's errand. But if you go, you will go with my blessings and all our hopes for success."

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Coming back from the walls of the keep, Jeni heard the last few sentenses uttered by Nighthill .

Shaking her head, she said "perhaps a night's rest is in order then. I'm not one to go on a fool's errand, and the night is teeming with enemies"

Forged Fury

First Post
Morgan paused at the Governor's response. If current intelligence didn't indicate there were any civilians being held there, it would be a fool's errand to go there, at least as far as she was concerned. "Carad, can you send the owl there and have it come back with a report? I'm hesitant to head out there if no lives are in danger. A mill can always be rebuilt if necessary."

kuey1975

First Post
Carad berated himself for not thinking of this.

"Yes, Lieutenant. Should have thought of that."

Turning to the governor, Carad asked, "Governor, could you point out which building is the mill?" Once he had gotten the information, Carad summoned Scree to his side. "Go," he commanded his familiar. "Scout out that building, and report if it is under attack or if there are villagers trapped in there."

With that, Scree leapt into the air and glided away into the darkness.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Governor Nighthill points out the direction of the mill and Scree duly heads off in that direction. The mill is some 500 feet away, as the owl flies (#4 on the map) and Carad feels a vague sense of detachment as Scree's almost constant presence fades from his mind in a few seconds.

There is a hushed minute as the gathered group watches the southwest sky. Then you spot the wings beating through the night and Scree has returned. The information sent back is a little jumbled as you were unable to see directly through his eyes yourself, but it is clear that there are enemy forces gathering at the mill, but there is no sign of refugees. The mill is intact for now, doors closed, and the attackers appear to be building fires again as they were at the temple.

kuey1975

First Post
Carad stared intently at Scree as he communed silently with the owl. He paused briefly before turning to the team.

"It's strange. Scree didn't see any villagers at the mill, but the enemy forces are gathering there nonetheless. And it seems that they are attempting to set fire to the place, too. Might they be attempting to destroy something at the mill? Or perhaps there are villagers hiding inside that Scree didn't spot?"

Remove ads