(IC) Quickleaf's Rime of the Frostmaiden

Logrim hears the warning from Alma and Jack turns to look at Ludo.

"Ludo get back here it's not safe."

OOC: Not sure if Ludo can move now. If he can he will move next to Logrim.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Quickleaf

Legend
GM POST

Owlbear Rodeo link
Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 9.21.44 AM.png

Jack’s illusory war horn distracts one of the zombies that shambles over to it slack-jawed. However, the burning zombie slams against Rurm’s attempt to recreate a shield wall, knocking the dwarf unconscious and sending his shield clattering with traces of fire clinging to it! The bonfire sears away the zombie’s hair and skin, melting its eyes, and still it lurches forward.

The electrical charge in the room is so intense that a high-pitched whine torments your ears. At the last moment, Lumrolur scrambles quickly back the way he came – ever alert to having his escaped route planned in the Deep below.

Ludo, however, is not as swift as the rogue, and the fractional delay between gnome and construct is enough to keep it from having time to escape. However, Ludo pivots its head upon hearing Lumrolur’s voice, only for one of the zombies to land a heavy double-fisted blow, denting Ludo’s nose plate (4 damage).

Flaring to life, whitish blue light hisses from the perimeter of the circular room. The silver mace – dislodged from the zombie – clatters across the floor as arcs of lightning strike at it, the entire room brightening with warding magic and crackling with lightning.

GM: At initiative 20, the dwarven runic glyph activates. Anyone can attempt an initiative check to try and take your turn before the glyph activates; if you get 20+ you take your turn before the glyph.

The lightning will annihilate the remaining zombies. However, some of you are at risk too and will need to make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw (assuming you don't act before the glyph):

Russet and Ludo (@VLAD the Destroyer ) are at great risk, being fully in the room. On a failed save they take 25 lightning damage, or on a successful save just 12 lightning damage.

Rurm, Lumrolur (@Neurotic ) and Aric (@Steve Gorak ) are at a lesser risk – Lumrolur scrambling to escape the room and Aric leaning through the illusory wall to overlook the room. On a failed save they take 9 lightning damage, or no damage on a successful save.


Zombie fooled by Jack’s illusion
zombie DC 15 Investigation vs Jack illusion: 1D20-4 = [17]-4 = 13

Zombie critically hits Rurm for 8 damage! Rurm is knocked unconscious!
zombie attacks Rurm Doraghen AC 18: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21

Zombie fails save vs Create Bonfire, 5 damage
Zombie DC 12 Dex save vs Create Bonfire: 1D20-2 = [3]-2 = 1
Create Bonfire damage: 1D8 = [5] = 5

Zombie hits Ludo for 4 damage
zombie attacks Ludo AC 15: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19

Initiative checks for NPCs
Russet gets 18 fails & Dwarves get 1 also failing
Russet initiative check: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
Rurm initiative check: 1D20 = [1] = 1

Dex Saves for NPC
Russet fails, takes 25 damage
Russet DC 14 Dex save vs glyph: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
Rurm is unconscious and automatically fails, failing one Death Saving Throw

Damage roll for the Glyph
lightning damage: 5D8 = [4, 5, 5, 8, 3] = 25

  • burning hp 1
  • cold-damaged hp 10
  • speared hp 2 (distracted by illusion)
Destroyed on critical, radiant reducing to 0 hp, or 20+ damage from one attack. If you deal ≤19 damage, compare to sequence of pre-rolled “saves”, if “save” ≥ damage dealt, zombie remains a threat:
7, 5, 2, 1, 20 /
20, 15, 17, 9, 11 /
15, 12, 13, 11, 7
/
13, 16, 15, 15, 8 /
18, 9, 8, 18, 11 /

Brydum hp 13 9, Rurm hp 13 9 5 0 (dying), Angrom hp 13; AC 18 (chain mail, shield), speed 25; Str +2, Dex +0, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0; advantage save vs. poison / resistance to poison; darkvision 60 ft, passive perception 10; Battleaxe +4 hit, 6 (1d8+2) dmg; Light Crossbow +2 hit, 80/320 ft, 4 (1d8) dmg; Defender (reaction): if a creature attacks the dwarf or a creature within 5 feet of the dwarf while it is wielding a shield, the dwarf can use a reaction to give the attacking creature disadvantage on the attack roll.
As an action, you can splash the contents of this flask onto a creature within 5 feet of you or throw it up to 20 feet, shattering it on impact. In either case, make a ranged attack against a target creature, treating the holy water as an improvised weapon. If the target is a fiend or undead, it takes 2d6 radiant damage.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 8.55.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 8.55.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:




Quickleaf

Legend
Flaring to life, the glyph sends streaks of lightning erratically crackling between the floor and ceiling in fits and leaps. Arcing sparks leap from Ludo, incinerating the two zombies closest to the brave steel defender. Ludo attempts to take a staggering step toward your party, a horrible mechanical mewling sound emanating from it, only to collapse as its systems are overwhelmed.

Russet manages to duck the silver mace hurled by a spike of lightning so hard it imbeds itself in the eastern wall. But then a bolt rushes up through his paws, singing his fur in blistered patches before striking the ceiling. Shrieking, Russet falls to his knees, but survives.

Rurm's unconscious form is flung backward toward Alma from the force of a bolt grounding into his metal armor. He requires immediate assistance.

The burning zombie's flesh entirely sloughs off as streaks of white-hot lightning lance through it, such that it can hardly be called a zombie anymore – it's more a skeleton held together by sinew and tendons. At last, Aric's persistence wears it down and the bonfire consumes the skeleton which collapses forward with an outstretched hand.

The blinding light and deafening crackle subside, leaving the room a smoldering mess, but the magic of the glyph has been discharged.

GM: Zombie Dex saves, two fail and are utterly destroyed, third in bonfire succeeds taking 12 damage...and I'm handwaving that the Create Bonfire finishes it off, cause a GM has to draw a line with zombies somewhere
three Zombies DC 14 Dex saves vs glyph: 1D20-2 = [10]-2 = 8
1D20-2 = [20]-2 = 18
1D20-2 = [12]-2 = 10

End of this combat.

EDIT: @Neurotic Yes it was a spell effect. Forgot about your gnomish resistance.
 
Last edited:

Necropolitan

Adventurer
Zeth, unable to fully see what's happening beyond hearing Jack calling for him quickly runs down the stairs. Seeing the carnage he pauses for a moment, stunned. Then he leaps into action. Or at least talking.

"What happened? I destroyed the zombies on the stairs-"

He notices the unconscious Rurm, silver chalice, and obvious signs of a magical blast.

"Someone heal Rurm, use a healing potion if you have to, but nobody's dying on this mission if I can help it!"

Zeth is mostly telling the truth there. He's also doing it for the pragmatic reason that a living warrior between the party and danger is more useful than a healing potion. And there's the chance to get an extra reward from the Dwarves if they retake the temple without suffering a single casualty.

OOC: If there's nothing else to do Zeth begins using Sacred Flame on the remains of the zombies to ensure they stay down unless stopped. Like the Dwarves wanting a Dwarven zombie's corpse to get a proper burial.
 

happylace

Explorer
Alma shields her eyes from the magic's light. Hunkering down near the statue while lightning crackles about the room. She startles as Rurm is hurled over towards her but doesn't dare to move from her spot until the circle has died down. At Zeth's direction, she cautiously approached the downed dwarf. She patted at her pockets and gear.

"I don't have any potions. Does anyone have a spare? Or healing magic? Or is trained in medicine?"
 

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"I cannot help." Lumrolur feels sadness "I only kill. I'll go scout ahead a bit. Stay here. Collect what you can from the church artefacts, they might help in cleansing."

OOC: Looking over and around the statue on the stairs (investigation?). Checking the stairs for traps and moving down until he is in full darkness. Gray surroundings, quiet...always helps to keep his soul at peace after the color and noise of the fighting (Perception?) :)
 

"Ludo!'

Logrim is about to run to his construct when Zeth asks someone to heal Rurm. He is out of healing salves but he can at least stabilize the wounds and prevent the dwarf from bleeding out or dying from shock. The gnome runs over to fallen dwarf and begins to tend to his wounds.

"I'm out of my healing salves but I should be able to stabalize him mister Zeth."

Logrim quickly pulls some bandages from his pack and goes to work. He quickly stops the bleeding and tends to any other wounds. Once done he is confident that Rurm will not die.

"We should carefully move him out of this room just in case that trap is still active."

Once Rurm is moved and safe Logrim runs to Ludo. The lightning has fried Ludo's arcane battery. It would take him hours to fix the damage. He looks to everyone else.

"He's to damaged, I'll need to fully rebuild parts of him. It can't be done down here." A tear runs down Logrim's cheek. "Can someone help me get him into my pack? We need to get moving and I won't leave him here."

OOC: Medicine check to stabalize Rurm.: 1d20+5 17

Because Ludo is at 0 HP I can't just use mending to heal him. The only way to get him up now is with a spell slot which I don't have currently. I will need to take a long rest to get him rebuilt.[/B]
 

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Top