• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Wandering Star : Heroes of the Middle Reaches (Part One)

nerdytenor

First Post
"Interesting you say?" Horto plops himself down into a chair, somewhat rudely jostling Charlotte. "What is it then?" It appears that Horto's mood has done a complete turnaround in the last 30 seconds. "Pirates? Thieves? Monsters?"
"Or could it be..." Horto pauses, relishing the thought. "Could it be you've found a new card game starting up?"

Slowing down a bit, he addresses Charlotte. "Excuse me, I haven't introduced myself. I am Horto Dandorin, sometimes employed, often bored, always up for adventure." Horto gets up and makes a ridiculous display of bowing in Charlotte's direction and sitting down again. "But I'm sure I've seen you here before - I never forget a face."

"But back to business," he says, addressing Jorje somewhat more seriously. "What do you have to discuss, friend?"

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
"I will say this much:
I got an interesting offer to retrieve something from somewhere in direction of the Dragon's Isle. And if I accept the offer, I think I will need some help.
And yes, it is very possible there will be danger in form of pirates and monsters on this journey.
I cannot say much more at the moment. Are you interested? Or know someone that could help in this endeavor?"

Jorje whispers to them.

Redclaw

First Post
A journey beyond the walls of Helen's Reach you say? The dark-clad elf Varilar says as he slips into a seat at the table. None of the others are sure where he came from; he just suddenly appeared by their sides. I know the city better than I know the ocean, but I'm willing to expand my horizons, so to speak.

The Digger

First Post
"Well I'm in for one" Charlie spoke quickly. "It'll be nice to get back to sea and we might even spot those ex-comrades of mine." Her voice became suddenly hard.

"And I suppose there will be some form of cash payment for the job? Nothing like a bit of cash to encourage participation."

helium3

First Post
Ranver Swilch
Late in the evening of June 21st

Wait.

Did you just hear something?

No, probably just a gust of wind. The room you're in is full of stacks of unbound parchment. Probably just something shifting.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Wait. There it is again. Sounds like bone on wood. Where'd it come from?

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Sounds like it's coming from the window. The shutters are closed, so whatever's causing it can't get in. Too dark to see what it is, though.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Whatever it is, it's tapping on the shutter. That's what's making that noise.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

And it sounds like it's hovering? Is it a bird?

*CAW!!!*

That's a Raven! You flick the latch open and throw the shutters wide. The sodden bird carooms into the room, its rain heavy wings barely able to beat fast enough to keep it aloft. The whole time it's circling, dripping on your "neatly" arranged stacks of notes, it keeps it jet black eyes on you. Finally, gaining some control over its course, it lands on your shoulder with a heavy plop.

It shakes itself, throwing off more water and dousing the side of your head and shoulder in the process. Then it stoops down as if to peck you in the ear, but at the last moment it stops and opens its beak wide.

Instead of a deafening "Caw!", out comes a voice. A voice you recognize as that of Pieter Anzalli, High Priest of the Hall of Laws.

"Keeper of the Shrine of Ioun. I beg your assistance. Meet me at Sailor's Hope and make haste. Bring your compatriots. Violence befouls the air."

With that, the crow shakes again, though this time in a manner having more in common with a minor seizure. It gathers itself and then launches into the air, swooping out of the window and into the rain.

Seconds later, it returns, again drunkenly wheeling about the room on its water-soaked wings. Eventually, it lands on a high shelf in the far corner and shakes off more water. It begins to preen, watching you warily the whole time.

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
"I've heard all I need to hear. I'm in!" With this, Horto smacks his tankard down hard on the table, splashing what little ale remains in it on himself. "Although, I may need to get myself a change of clothes first."

Sparky

Ranver sits back from the last of his transcriptions and rubs his bleary eyes. Blinking rapidly he opens them and studies the cramped confines of his room. A room of his own. A very fine thing, that, for a scrub like him. Well, it was his for as long as he served the Temple. Sister Anhela had impressed upon him the importance of 'staying out of trouble' and 'keeping his nose clean.'

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Wait. Did I just...? No, probably just a gust of wind. Some parchment or other shifting.

Sister Anhela had gone to some lengths to snatch him from punishment over a year gone now. She sometimes said she'd seen a spark in young Ranver. And several times since said it 'must have been something in her eye.' He'd been required to shadow her for months. And after that, lacking any other direction of his own, and to tell it true, rather enjoying the work and his mentor's company, stayed on.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Wait. There it is again. Sounds like bone on wood. Where'd it come from?

Then, last mid-winter, Sister Anhela has put his name forward for investiture. The shrinking clergy were disinclined to grant Sister Anhela the privilege. Couldn't the young man be put to good work for a greater cause? Sister Anhela had only barely resisted the urge to respond to the slight on her small, but vital, domain for fear it would spoil her slim chances at collaring Ranver for once and all.

Ranver had been pursued by other holy orders, puzzled at the sudden attention. But he was certain that he owed his allegiance to Sister Anhela. And increasingly to the Goddess, whose tenets and teachings resonated with the straight-talking young man.

In the end, the church granted Sister Anhela her request. Months of rigorous preparation and study had followed. Catchechism, rites, rituals, prayers, history, traditions. The amount of information boggled the mind. But he had managed to hang on to all of it somehow. And then, at the Spring solstice, feeling quite unprepared for sure, Ranver had been secluded. For fasting, meditation, reflection and purification. He had know way to know, but for the rhythms of his body how much time passed. And then his body even became confused. He prayed and contemplated. And then... the ceremony.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Whatever it is, it's tapping on the shutter. That's what's making that noise.

Sister Anhela had promised to let him see some texts she promised he would find 'linguistically challenging' if he finished everything before the solstice. He had almost made it. It was close, but high sun had come and gone and he had missed her deadline by a hair's breadth.

Still, Ranver didn't like to leave things undone and had spent the rest of his day scratching like mad, translating the last of a stack of mind-numbingly boring ship's logs they'd uncovered in a folio of cracked, dusty leather. It had been woefully misfiled in the Archives. Sister Anhela had rather expanded Ranver's considerable vocabulary when she discovered them. The old bag was full of wonderful surprises.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

And that fluttering... wings? Is it... is it a bird?

Ranver cocks his head, quizzically...

*CAW*

The young priest scrambles to his feet and opens the shutters. Looking back, it wasn't the smartest move, what with the rain and the crazed bird and the dripping and the freshly completed translations spread across his desk.

The young man's eyes widen as he takes in the birds' strange message.

The words take a moment to register. He'd never been summoned by His Eminence before. Never. Sister Anhela! The bird batters its way back in to the room and shakes Ranver out of his momentary paralysis. He looks at its pathetic, put-upon, rain-soaked body. Mind whirling, he rushes to his desk and uncovers the remains of a snack from earlier in the day and puts the plate up on the shelf near the bird. "Thanks," he mutters disractedly at as he hastily dons his chain shirt. Violence! But why summon me? Unless it is Sister... No. No... I have to hurry.

He throws a cloak over his shoulders, blows out his lamp and heads out. He stops abruptly in the doorway and looks at the confusion of papers the wind let in. In a moment of inspiration he loops his prayer beads over the shutter handles, enough to keep them mostly closed, but with enough room for the crow to leave when it must. The leather thong stretches taut, growing dark with rain, the beads glistening. He winces and sketeches a holy symbol, praying an brief entreaty at his goddess for the slight. He kisses his fingertips, touches his brow and the beads and is gone... into the night and the rain.

---

The door to Gullafar's bangs open and Ranver stumbles in, panting and... armored? Armed even. His short hair is plastered to his face and his eyes are wide and afraid. They register relief as he spots a table of his friends and acquaintances, "Quick, to..." he pauses, gasping for breath, "...to the Sailor's..." more gasping, "Hope. High... Priest. Trouble!"

After he's managed to spit that out, he looks at who is actually assembled... Damn, I'd hoped Zarathas would be here.

Walking Dad

First Post
"Uhm, oh, Ranver, we just spoke about an other assignment. But you sound very urgent. In what direction do you have to sail? Perhaps we combine the two in one glorious journey!" The wizard answers, already thinking about the most profitable option.

The Digger

First Post
"Aye, shipmates! To Arms! The adventure awaits!"

A bright gleaming smile, a flash of white teeth, an exhalation of beer-soaked breath and a dagger swiftly drawn and held on high.

"Come on then, what are we waiting for?" Charlie sounds just a little...eager?

helium3

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Based on the older usage, Sire is just fine.

I hadn't really given much thought to honorifics, honestly. Well, beyond the head of the guard being the "Sherrif" and the hereditary title of the Middle Reaches being "Lord."[/sblock]

Zarathas Moonscale
Shortly after High Noon on June 21st

Zargesh nods and his gaze again begins to drift. As he visibly sinks deeper into his meditative trance, the words from his mouth come slowly and as if across a great distance.

"And as our Shining Lord commands, go forth and stand against the darkness and the storm and may its ravages break upon the redoubt of your faith. Stand well, young Paladin. Stand well."

Remove ads