• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ICE and the ENnies

Crothian

First Post
SteveC said:
One thing I'm wondering about for this year is Ptolus. It looks to be this year's 800 pound gorilla, since it is a once in a lifetime RPG product. I think it will be a sticky issue for the judges to consider this year.

I just feel sorry for the Judges that haven't read it. Hopefully if it gets entered it will be entered early and not late. :D

Crothian

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Actually, that's a good point--"What ideas do you have about Ptolus" is a pretty decent question to ask the judge nominees if that question hasn't already been asked.

I might make it a little more specific like what categories you'd place it in or something like that. It is an interesting question, but only if the Judge candidates have bought and read it which may be unlikely.

CaptainChaos

First Post
If Ptolus is entered and sweeps nearly every award, that'd make it the lamest ENnies since the year WotC participated. And the reasoning used to allow SCAP into the campaign setting category could be used to allow Ptolus into nearly every category.

Khairn

First Post
CaptainChaos said:
If Ptolus is entered and sweeps nearly every award, that'd make it the lamest ENnies since the year WotC participated. And the reasoning used to allow SCAP into the campaign setting category could be used to allow Ptolus into nearly every category.

QFT

Which was one of the reasons why ICE is not participating in the ENnies. Hopefully whatever action / change in judging rules that was mentioned in an earlier post (by Hellhound if memory serves me right) will stop such a problem from happening in the future.

Come to think of it ... ICE's 2 main reasons for not participating in the ENnies have not only been acknowledged, but are also being addressed to one degree or another. Lets hope whatever changes are put into place will satisfy any players & publishers who might have the same concern as ICE.

Time will tell

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
CaptainChaos said:

What if it truly deserves to win every category it's in? It might not make for an exciting ENnies ceremony, but why would that be lame?

For what it's worth, I don't see a reason a product that's a good setting AND a good adventure can't compete in both categories.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
billd91 said:
What if it truly deserves to win every category it's in? It might not make for an exciting ENnies ceremony, but why would that be lame?

For what it's worth, I don't see a reason a product that's a good setting AND a good adventure can't compete in both categories.

I was of the same mind.

I thought that the setting info in Shackled City was great stuff, and there was a lot of it...it wasn't like it was a huge stretch to decide to include it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ptolus is a big challenge for the ENnies indeed.

I look forward to seeing how it's resolved (presuming, of course, that it's even entered).

Based on last year's categories, about 2/3 of the awards could easily go to it.

Treebore

First Post
I've heard from an indirect source that Monte has every intention of entering Ptolus.

About the only d20 category I think it can likely be beat in is art, maybe cartography. But organization, content, writing, etc... all appears to be very good. It won't be impossible to beat, but I can't think of a product put out in the same time frame that can beat it. Fortunately I am not aware of every product put out by everyone, so maybe one does exist.

I hope so. It will be a much more interesting ENnies if there is some neck to neck competition rather than a run away.

I expect Qin to take the art award. That book is beautiful. If there is a better book I haven't seen or heard of it yet.

I hope it is another tough year for the judges to nominate only 5, but Ptolus and Qin are going to set a high standard for everyone else to beat.

I have been hearing pretty encouraging things about BESM 3E, so it may turn out to be a good contender.

Plus fan voting can go in unexpected directions.

So I guess we will have to see if expectations are met, or blown out of the water by a surprise product or three.

I hope there are surprises. Predictable results are boring.

Bront

The man with the probe
I think that untill the entrants are in and the Judges have a chance to look at them, it's too soon to speculate about which products will win, let alone be nominated.

Bront

The man with the probe
CaptainChaos said:
Sweeps happen, and while it's not always the greatest, is it unfair for a product that fits into a catagory to be denied entrance into it because it's "in too many catagories it will likely win already?" You're also judging it out of context of all other entrants, if it's even entered itself. I'm not saying you should let any product into a catagory, but that's what you're electing judges for, to decide what catagories a product belongs in. Given the issues of the past year, it is certaintly something that should be in the mind of any potential judges, but it is a two sided coin, and one that has to be considered on both sides.

This is why I don't think there should be blanket rules about what a catagory constitutes.

Remove ads