• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ICE and the ENnies

fusangite

First Post
billd91 said:
I'm not sure how PR is going to help much since the judges presumably aren't in or forming partisan blocs.
Proportionality is important if there are any minority opinions. For instance, in past years anti-incumbent voters have made up a significant bloc but because their votes are widely distributed, they have rarely counted much in the race. STV will allow these people to pool their votes more effectively, producing a more proportional result for them. Similarly, the capacity to concentrate votes will enable people who favour female nominees to do so more effectively.

Proportional representation is any system in which all votes count equally and in which, in a multi-candidate race, each candidate represents a different and distinct portion of the voters.
I can see the value of the STV providing us with an instant run-off election so that each vote has weight, but I think we'd be better off calling it instant run-off rather than PR. PR just doesn't seem to be the meaningful description in this situation.
IRV is a form of majoritarian voting. It produces a single Condorcet winner. STV is a form of proportional representation -- all PR is is all votes counting equally and assigning representative spots that represent the diversity of views not the consensus thereof. When STV is used in elections that have party affiliations, the results are proportional, as evidences by recent elections in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Queensland, Australia. Tough as it initially is to wrap one's head around proportional representation, good PR systems like STV work without parties.

eyebeams

Explorer
fusangite said:
But these situations are not, in any case, analogous. You are proposing to micro-manage voter choice to a much greater extent by instituting such things as term limits.

Actually, term limits are the sole new feature I am proposing, so I don't see how it's Awful Micromanaging.

Oh, and how are they not analogous, aside from you saying so? It is generally customary to provide supporting arguments for your position, instead of making your position, your argument.

Your question, above, is analogous to asking, "Should people who don't play RPGs be allowed to run?" And my position is, "Of course; we can trust the voters not to choose them."No. I support rules that disqualify people due to conflict of interest. And the ENnies already have such a rule -- one of the few restrictions on candidacy that I support.

Well, no, it's not analogous to this. It's a a response to an obvious trend in the awards that by its very nature cannot represent a wide variety of gamers. What you are essentially proposing is that a vague sentiment about democracy -- which the awards don't follow, anyway -- take precedence over actually examining them. The unfortunate thing about sentimental propositions is that they are by their nature extreme. If you have led the discussion to this position don't be surprised when there's revelant fallout.

But, again, this is not relevant. You are proposing to increase the current level of restriction of voter choice. The fact that I support the current level of restriction cannot be taken as a point in favour of your position.I think that financial conflicts of interest are a special case and a form of candidacy restriction I favour.

Actually, by your sentimental democratic argument, they aren't special at all. After all, we should trust voters not to vote for these people, shouldn't we? From this position, where democracy is an end in of itself, there is not one whit of difference. It really is an all or nothing position.

Of course, if you have a utilitarian argument, then democracy is *not* an end, and it's okay to fool with it for the sake of improving the process. That's means you can restrict conflicts of interest, but guess what? The utilitarian argument doesn't filter out the idea that having an award where up to a third of the judges *aren't* repeats every year is probably not a bad idea.

If we did not restrict candidacy on this basis, we would end up with a lot of negative campaigning as candidates who were not in conflict would have to point out which of their competitors were. With even one or two entries into the race by people in conflict, the whole tone of the race would change from a positive one to a negative one and the resulting depression in voter turnout would offset any benefits that would result from widening those eligible for candidacy.

So what? And how would this depress voter turnout? That's an entire speculative statement and, I submit, probably incorrect speculation.

Hell, the awards probably have more diversity in large part *because of* this thread.

Similarly, unlike term limits, conflict of interest restrictions on candidacy and voting or candidacy are universal in mature democratic systems whereas term limits tend to be rare and more common in emerging democracies.

You realize that an award is not much like a democratic government? And that many, many small scale democratic organizations, such as student unions and nonprofits, to limit incumbency?

This is a tired kind of argument eyebeams; I expected a little better from you. These kinds of all-or-nothing propositions just don't fly.

This is your extreme position, not mine. You're all about democracy as an end. This *is* an extreme position. I have provided not one, but two workable systems, one of which would remove judges and be far more democratic than anything you seem prepared to consider. If your position is out of utility, then changing one rule and adding another are trivial.

The feeling I get from you -- and from *many* of the rest of you -- is that you're most interested in supporting some abstract concept of the awards and it's "good name," as if I'm staging some unruly assault on either.

You are also not allowed to run your pet for the ENnies but that is neither here nor there.

Strawman *and* reductio ad absurdum.

What we are debating is whether democracy is served by further restricting people's choices. And you have offered no positive argument for why it is; all you have done is harangued me for being some kind of hypocrite by constructing a series of all-or-nothing propositions.

You've merely refused to identify such. I've made it clear that I believe the awards are best served by having fresh candidates with absolutely no paid industry ties for a significant period (instead of the unworkable year), and you've made it clear that proposing such really hurts your feelings. I am only responsible for *one* of these things.

The funny thing about appeals to democracy is that they are *meaningless* without talking about the good it does. And once you admit utility is a factor you must consider all things that might improve utility. You either took this extreme position yourself or took a utilitarian position, didn;t explain it, and wouldn't engage other utilitarian arguments. If you wanted to stall and damage meaningful discussion, that's a great way to go about it, but maybe you're just making a mistake. I really don't know.

I think the elections should be as free as is practical. And they are.

Do you actually think you have formulated the perfect form of the awards? Perfect? Really? Because that's what it sounds like.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
fusangite said:
I cannot imagine somebody being electable if they were not a citizen. I don't foresee a scenario where this would be allowed to happen.

How about if they were not a natural-born citizen?

I know it's not a Canadian question, but would Arnold have a shot?

-Hyp.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Hmmm, because of previous posts by pro-HARP gamers I had pretty much crossed it off of the list of games that I might be interested in. I may be missing out of something good as a result, but I have, in the past, found the more militant fans of certain game systems so annoying as to put me right off the game. (GURPS being the number one instance.) And I say this in spite of having some very old ICE stuff, and have fond memories of even older ones (The Iron Wind, anyone?).

I gather that I have been lucky not to meet rabid D20 players, and I hope that luck continues. At this point I have enough invested in both money and time that I would be unlikely to relegate the game to the dustbin, but.... Please folks, don't be quite so rabid in defense of your games, it serves as anti-advertising.

Don't complain that 'No one voted for/nominated [insert system here] so I am going to take my bat and ball and go home!' It comes across as unprofessional, and smacks of sour grapes. Sometimes it is simply that the game/product was too low profile, and other times it just faced stiff competition. I like All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but I do not recall it winning an ENNIE, or even being nominated. So, I shrug and move on. (And I could be wrong, I am unfamiliar enough with past winners of the ENNIEs that it might have swept the ENNIEs like Peter Jackson and the Oscars. :p )

Anywho, I do not expect to see many non-D20 games being nominated for an award from a D20 site, any more than I expect a Siamese cat to win Best of Breed at a dog show. When they do get nominated, or win, they must be pretty darned astounding.

The Auld Grump

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
I agree, it was quite the travesty. Heck, I paid for that food ($900!!) and didn't get a taste!

Your post makes me wonder, though... If we organized food again, would those planning on attending the ceremony pay for the priviledge of attending and having munchies and/or dinner? Also, will people stay for the after-party?

Lest I come across as flippant or not addressing your concerns, please be advised that I have read and understood your concerns and thank you for your interest in the continuing improvements of the ENnie Awards.

Erik Mona said:
I was disappointed that the pre-show party ran out of cheese cubes last year. Until this gross injustice is addressed Paizo Publishing will not deign to participate in these broken awards.

--Erik

Treebore

First Post
Dextra said:
I agree, it was quite the travesty. Heck, I paid for that food ($900!!) and didn't get a taste!

Your post makes me wonder, though... If we organized food again, would those planning on attending the ceremony pay for the priviledge of attending and having munchies and/or dinner? Also, will people stay for the after-party?

Lest I come across as flippant or not addressing your concerns, please be advised that I have read and understood your concerns and thank you for your interest in the continuing improvements of the ENnie Awards.

I would be happy to pay for my share ($10.00?) rather than have/know that you paid for it out of your own pocket. I assumed my auction money helped pay for that. Plus I helped the Necromancer auction get as high as it did, but didn't win. Actually I only helped get it above $200.00. Several others took it to the final winning bid.

So yes, if the ENnies auctions, etc... aren't paying for it I will be happy to keep you, or any other ENnies volunteer, from paying for it out of their private pocket.

Plus I will stay for the after party this time. I didn't know about the after party until after I had made other plans.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
Psion said:
I agree. Not much you can do about that short of buy all the products for all the voters. I don't think the ENnies budget will cover that. ;)

For some publishers who aren't positioned well in the market, the nomination is more telling than the vote. It's just the way it is.

At least last year (and I hope the trend will continue), we offered publishers the chance to get a link to a product sample, put up cover shots as well as brief descriptions of each product in the hopes of educating fandom. Not only did it give fans a chance to learn more about the products in the hopes of making a better-informed decision, but it also served as a tool to get the word out about some truly excellent products.

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
I pay for all expenses not covered by Gen Con or EN World, like extra trophies, the framed certificates, medals, booth dressing, flyers, DJ equipment, bartenders, food, etc. Then afterwards I'm reimbursed by the fund raising efforts. Unfortunately, if product doesn't sell in auctions, I'm left with a pile of product and not much money.

Fortunately the fund raising (in large part the Dream Date Auctions) paid me back almost in full, and my FLGS (Fandom II in Ottawa I loooooooove you) picked up a lot of the 6th pile stuff, so I'm not out too much!

Anyhoo, I personally liked the idea of a dinner before the Awards, thus giving publishers who have to close up their booths and still find time to freshen up before the ceremony one less worry. But I think that I would prefer to see those attending chipping in towards the cost of the food rather than have it covered entirely by the fundraising. And I wonder how many people would attend if the food wasn't free...

Oh yeah- everyone reading this: Friday night, after the ENnies. Party. Be there.

Treebore said:
I would be happy to pay for my share ($10.00?) rather than have/know that you paid for it out of your own pocket. I assumed my auction money helped pay for that. Plus I helped the Necromancer auction get as high as it did, but didn't win. Actually I only helped get it above $200.00. Several others took it to the final winning bid.

So yes, if the ENnies auctions, etc... aren't paying for it I will be happy to keep you, or any other ENnies volunteer, from paying for it out of their private pocket.

Plus I will stay for the after party this time. I didn't know about the after party until after I had made other plans.

Remove ads