• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ice, Luck and Honour

Ice, Luck and Honour is a campaign following the travels and adventures of three heroes as they are pulled into an age of conflict. As prophecies align and gods rise and fall, a staff with the power to imprison deities finds its way into the hands of our heroes. They must race against time to unlock the secrets of the staff before it is used as a weapon to gain ascension.

- - - - - - - - - -

The characters who have fought, cried, laughed, loved and died in the ensuing accounts are:

Torious Mangrane
An Aasimar cleric of Tyr from Raven's Bluff, dedicated to the pursual of justice in the name of his god. He suspects he is a direct descendant of Tyr (grand illusions, I know) thanks to his Aasimar heritage and human mother. He has a scar running the length of each cheek that opens and glows with light (as the Aasimar ability).

Thalin Vorpsen
A distant and reserved human mage from the Great Glacier. His father, Niall Vorspen, is an ArchMage warden of the great glacier and has kept Thalin under his constant surveillance since birth, but now Thalin's time has come to leave his fathers protection and travel South. His spells are predominantly ice based.

Milo Whittersbane
A halfling thief/sorcerer from Marsember. A playful thief with an unhealthy eye for other peoples property. He has left his mothers dockside home to gather money together to prevent her land being taken away from her.

- - - - - - - - - -

The campaign is set in the Forgotten Realms but the lands and history were changed slightly to keep my players on their feet from the word go. The story begins in early winter, 1372.

As a precursor to the campaign, I wrote three very short stories with the help of the player in question. These were then handed out to the other players, so they got some idea of the character they would be playing alongside. If you want to skip ahead to the body of the Story Hour then go for it, the intro's aren't essential.

Feedback on anything and everything would be greatly appreciated, I would love to know what people think of the ideas thrown into this campaign (and there are a hell of a lot).

I'd like to mention this, just as a safety thing really, but the stories themselves are my own copyright (Thomas Hughes, June 2002). However, feel free to take ideas as you like (as if i need to even say that). If there are stats for bad guys or anything you'd like, then just say and I'll post it on.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the character stories and after that will be Chapter 1: Fateful Beginnings.

I hope you enjoy Ice, Luck and Honour.

Spider.

Last edited:

Torious Mangrane

TORIOUS

“We don’t serve your kind” growled the stout bar keep,
“Leave before I make Limmet hurt ya”

Torious looked to where the barkeep nodded his greasy curls. A large man with a scar running the length of his arm was slouching in the corner, a young maiden draped over his knee. Torious grimaced and looked back at the squinted eyes of the barkeep.

“I am sorry to have offended you.” Torious nodded curtly and turned to go. He knew his birth scars were starting to flare and it never boded well in these situations. He headed for the door. The inns occupants seemed to watch him as he walked the length of the rotten floor. Limmet laughed in the corner and yelled a curse which became too slurred to understand. Even so the bar picked the chant up and quickly the silence was filled with jeering and screaming at the man who quickly exited.

Torious stepped into the night air of Darmshall city. The jeering faded almost as soon as he turned out of sight. It was nothing new to Torious, for almost a year now he had been hounded from tavern to tavern, village to village and realm to realm.

- - - - - - - - - -

The Gate warden that held the pass between the icy lands of Damara and Vaasa had almost not admitted the tall, well built man who stood alone before the towering gates.
“Who goes there?” had echoed from above, “Friend or foe?”
Torious almost turned back then. But this was the way shown in his dreams.
“I am Torious Mangrane. Traveller to the city of Darmshall, I request passage through Bloodstone Pass and a nights stop at the Bloodstone Inn.”
“I can let ya through but you ‘ave to ask at the inn for a room” the watchman paused, “what are ya… human or otherwise?”

Torious had this question any number of times each day. His beauty had been unparalleled in his travels so far, the cascade of golden hair rolled down his face, framing the features which drew both friendly and jealous attention. Each cheekbone bore a deep white scar that ran for no more than three inches towards his jaw, from just beneath his eyes. They had been present from birth and no form of healing, magic or otherwise, would heal the scars. They enhanced his features and pronounced his gold flecked eyes.
“I am a traveller. That is all”
“Aye, you said that.” said the watchman suspiciously, “Answer my question or you will have no passage to Vaasa”

Torious looked up at the guard and tensed the skin around the scars, his heavy hood fell away and he felt the scars surge with energy. The gate and its towers ahead of him lit up with the pulsating yellow light that poured from the scars.
“I am Aasimar, descendant of Tyr the Even-Handed.” Torious brandished a wooden symbol of a warhammer-on-scales in his right hand, “I speak his words and wield his justice. Open the gates lest you be judged and face his holy wrath.”
A thunderous grinding noise heralded the opening of the Bloodstone gates.

Torious walked into the small village that lay beyond. The gates echoed shut behind him and the guard yelled “all is clear”. The night air highlighted the rough edges of the buildings that lay around him and rose up the chasm faces. Stone houses seemed to jut from the walls of the slate walls as if built straight from them. Torious did not doubt they would be. Three dwarves crossed his path, their beards braided with some unknown monstrous teeth as pins. They scowled at Torious as he stopped to let them wander past, they headed for one of the only lights in the stone village, the inn; The Gorges Gift.

The nights stay was pleasant and Torious was not bothered by the locals. Indeed, it seemed every one of the occupants was a traveller and had their own business and reasons to keep to themselves. The next day he travelled before dawn to ensure he was alone for prayer to Tyr. That was a ten day hence.

- - - - - - - - - -

Torious sat at the base of the great tree in the market square of Darmshall. It's crooked fingers long since dead to the ferocious storms that would sometimes rack the city for days on end, bringing the ice blizzards from the north. And worse. The wind whipped at Torious’ cloak as he sat silent in the night air. The city was quiet around him. He had only seen three other persons, a human man and a half-orc couple since exiting the inn.

His sword scabbard lay across his knees, its leather sheath cracked and brittle from the cold. He brushed a hand down it. A new sword is needed. And more. He looked down at the rusting scale mail that hung too large for him. A golden strand of hair whipped across his face and crossed and eye. Torious blinked and pulled the strand free, pushing it behind his ear.

A sound, from the alley ahead. He kept his hand at his ear, holding the cloak hood back from his keen ears. His eyes scanned the dark. Torious knew his eyes were better in the dark than any humans and for this he could see Limmet heading into the alleyway. Staggering against the wall? No. Someone else was there. The woman from before. Torious didn’t move for a moment then a muffled shriek came from the woman and the Aasimar leapt to his feet and unsheathed his Longsword, Justicar. His steps clattered off the frosted flagstones as he headed for Limmet and the woman. Torious broke into a run as another, more painful shriek came from the alleyway.

“Stop it!” screamed a female voice, just ahead of Torious.
“Shut up.” A small sound of fist on flesh then a whimper.
Torious turned the corner to see Limmet crouched over the fallen woman. Her frail body was lain on the ground, her face was half covered in mud but a bruise could be seen against the moonlight, a deep purple in the blues, blacks and whites that covered the alleyway. Limmet looked up and took a step backwards, seeing the sword in Torious’ hand. Recognition passed over his ugly face.
“You?” he slurred into a laugh, “The scar boy?”
Limmet drew a shortsword from a scabbard at his waist. He was built a deal taller than Torious but not much more muscle. He grinned again, yellow teeth protruding into the night air
“Think you can beat me pretty boy? Take off your scales”

Torious thought about this. His knowledge of Limmet was limited to the previous hour but he assumed as soon as he began to de-scale, Limmet would attack. Torious passed this out of his mind. Looking down at the body of the woman, she groaned once then heaved. Her stomach emptied onto her torn dress and into the frozen mud. Limmet was quicker than Torious would have thought. The shortsword flickered forward, clattering against Justicar as Torious defended himself, he set his back foot in the mud, determined to stay his ground against Limmet. Another sword strike whirled at his stomach then his face, they were both turned aside. Torious made no move to attack.
“Tyr has seen the darkness that sits in you.” Torious guided Limmet’s side slash into a wall and took a step forwards, connecting his gauntleted left fist to the rogues face with a gruesome chime of gauntlet on skin.
“His eyes see through mine” Torious grasped Limmet’s sword hand in his mailed fist.
“His hand guides my own” Torious clenched down on Limmet’s hand. Limmet screamed, a spatter of blood and spit sprayed from his bloodied face onto Torious’ chestplate. Torious let the sword hand drop and the short sword clattered into the mud. Limmet backed away, but the Aasimar was faster.
“I speak his words” Justicar drove quickly upwards in a smooth arc “and wield his justice” the sword slid easily into Limmet’s chest.
Limmet slid from the blade with a soft sigh. His eyes darted everywhere all at once, taking in the bloodied blade, the dark alley way, the bruised body of the woman and the twin glowing scars that gave form to the silhouette standing over him.

An hour later Torious stoked the small fire infront of him, his possessions lay on the ground to his left and to his right lay Justicar. He swept the cloth over the spattered scale mail again, trying to work the blood from underneath the individual plates. After dispensing a final blow to Limmet he had taken the girl to the city temple of Oghma. Father Rellin, a devout man with piercing eyes, had thanked him then suggested he stay away from the city for a number of nights and wait for the next caravan party leading West. Torious did not argue. No doubt Limmet would be found soon after dawn and his body reported to Noristour, the city mage who seemed to be a law enforcement in himself. But this for the moment did not worry Torious, his thoughts lay simply with Tyr and the thanks he would have for the justice dutifully dispensed to Limmet.

With a sigh Torious rolled onto his back and watched the stars sparkle overhead. Counting the different gods and deeds that lay up there for all to read.
Shall I serve Tyr highly enough to grant me a place in the stars? Or am I to wander till my limbs grow tired and I lay on the grass, never to move again?
Torious glided to sleep watching a dim green star move slowly between the constellations of The Great Justice, a secondary constellation of Tyr, and The Furnace, a curled formation granted to Kossuth, the Lord of Flames.
Stars should not move.
Yet sleep was too close and Torious’ eyes closed to await the dawn light.

Last edited:

Thalin Vorspen

THALIN

White. White daggers of wind and ice cut and thrust at the wolf pelt cloak of Thalin Vorspen, the tendrils of the ragged fur lashed and snapped at the unrelenting blizzard of cold on all sides. A grimace played across the face wrapped beneath layers of fur and leather as the wind buffeted his body again, forcing a halt.

He knew Dariel was having no easier a time high above him. Perhaps he had flown on ahead. The higher plains of the Great Glacier lay behind him, leagues beyond that stretched the frozen plateau which housed the castle of Niall Vorspen, Archmage of the Glacier and father to Thalin.

- - - - - - - - - -

At first Thalin believed the weather would hold as it was, the darkness of the night sky and the silver darts of stars shimmered off of ice strewn lakes, bathing the castle in deeper shadows that swayed and broke at every step further from the towering walls. The ice was already melting on the outer defences and by morning his father would be standing on the balcony of Frostpike, the tallest and greatest of the eight towers that thrust towards the sky from the safety of the inner walls.

Strengthening the outer walls and perimeter chasm was of paramount importance to the Archmage and the distraction would help Thalin put a greater distance between him and his father before his plans were discovered.

His father had warned Thalin of the heart lands and the corruption that lay within many times, earlier that night had been one such event, yet its ending had been significantly different to the others.
“Only death and war lies in the south,” said Niall. “It is a fools purchase to travel there”
Niall did not warrant Thalin a glance as he sat at his study desk pouring over a heavy, leather bound book. As dusk began to set outside, the ring of candelabra surrounding his father caused shadows to dance and slide across Thalin and his father alike.

Thalin usually held his tongue in these situations but the longing made him brave and his days were not meant to be lasted out entombed in a castle of ice.
“Foolishness is nothing to do with this. You travelled when you were young, as shall I.” said Thalin, his voice shaky.
“My travels were needed. Once you are needed in the heart lands then you may go.” He went on, his voice elevating to a harsher tone. “There are more than enough heroes wandering these days, your efforts are better spent here.”
“You are wrong father. My days are not meant for this.”

Thalin motioned to the surrounding walls, the sheen of frozen ice that covered the stone work, the rolls of scrolls that littered a nearby table, the books stacked in the corner; somehow immune to the creeping ice. Thalin shook his head slowly. Niall marked his place then looked directly into Thalins eyes as if seeing through him for a deeper truth that hid just beneath the furs and the skin and the bone. If he found it, he did not say.
“You stay.” His voice did not ask for a reply, “That is final”

Thalin turned and walked slowly out, wishing not to show his father the frustration and defeat that now lined his face and guided his walk. I am not yours to command father, I am meant for greater things.
Thalin quickly paced through the cold and labyrinthine tunnels that curled and branched through the castle like hollow veins inside a frozen corpse. Thalin found Dariel perched on the edge of a table in the meat room, his beak ripping slowly at a side of meat. The snow owl familiar turned as Thalin entered, Dariel’s voice echoed into his head. Thalin knew he was concerned, not wanting Thalin to make a rash decision.

Thalin did not respond. Dariel was not one to flinch from the truth and Thalin knew what his companion intoned was indeed true. Thalin carried on through the halls. Dariel followed at a range, swooping from one unlit sconce to the next.

His room was sparse and nothing more than a table and bed of furs covered the space, but nothing more was needed, or so his father said. Thalin picked up his meagre spellbook before heading back out the door. Dariel sat on the sconce nearest the room and said nothing as Thalin passed beneath him. The walk to the storage room took him a level deeper and almost directly beneath his fathers study.

The air was dryer and colder down here. Thalin clasped the wolf skin cloak around his neck and carefully placed a shoulder of dry meat and half broken loaf of black bread into a slim bearskin pack, his eyes fell upon the scabbard of Shard, his fathers scimitar which lay on the storeroom desk. He stepped quietly over and lifted the sword and scabbard in his left hand whilst drawing the blade out with his right.

Dariel silently flew into the room and landed on a stack of boxes, his eyes studying the measured movements of Thalin. A dull light played off the metal and twice flashed into his eyes as the torch light caught the razor edge. A pulse of regret and fear rolled through him. I could still stop this foolishness. But a stronger voice rose within him and Shard was quickly sheathed and tied to his back in a diagonal arc that allowed the right hand to draw it over the shoulder in a swift movement. His training was sparse with the scimitar but Shard was sharp and well balanced, a gilded icicle patterned into the blade and scabbard alike.

Thalin looked once more at the storage and mentally checked through what he needed, the furs that covered him should keep the winds at bay, although nothing could help him if he were caught in a blizzard.

- - - - - - - - - -

The winds ripped past again. Spears of cold lanced through any gaps with unrelenting malice, Thalin pulled the cloak tighter across his chest as another shiver rattled across him. His strides began to slow, the wind seemed to retreat for a second then hammered back with a greater force than before. Thalin felt himself heaved to the left then almost forced backwards as the white pressed into him. His fathers words played through his head, louder and louder. "It is a fools purchase to travel there".

The words added to the chorus of the blizzard, forming a howling, screaming chorus as his progress was once again buffeted to a halt. A fools purchase. He knew Dariel had flown on ahead to escape the worst of the blizzard. He resumed his movement, the blizzard eased for another moment and Thalin readied for another blast. Boots and ice seemed to clasp together to add another ten pounds of weight to each footstep and with a sickening cold rush he realised he would not move further.

Thalin looked ahead desperately, the ice and wind cutting like knives across his frozen features and collecting in the crusted mane of his beard. Through the torrent of white was a series of low slung buildings ahead, and further in a temple steeple that was broken half way up. Palishuk, Thalin knew at once. He tensed again as the wind smashed into him, his guard came down as the ice cut into his exposed flesh and Thalin fell backwards. Fools Purchase. The snow revolved above him, all the warmth was snapped from his body as he collapsed into the drift behind him. He raised a hand to the whirling flakes of ice above him and grasped for the sky.

The sky grasped back. Six huge hands wrapped around his arms and legs and wrenched him free of the snow. Grunts echoed through the white but were quickly carried away by the winds, the three figures around him hauled his body into the frozen streets of Palishuk and stood him against a beaten and abandoned house. Thalin held onto the wall to prevent from falling. The wall acted as a windbreak and the blizzard still howled and screamed behind him but no more knives. Thalin was thankful for that.

He looked up at the faces of his rescuers. Their eyes were close together and noses squashed inwards, green skin hung loosely on their faces, as if the person who made them had no conviction for a serious finish. Half-Orcs grimaced Thalin. One of the half-orcs leant forward and sniffed at Thalins cloak hood, then yanked it back. The half-orc laughed something in a guttural tongue but Thalin did not hear, the blizzard carried it away. The half-orc withdrew a long black dagger and pointed it at him. His green skin broke into a yellow toothed grin as he took a step towards Thalin.

Only death and war lies in the South.

With a grim face, Thalin motioned through the air with his hands, drawing arcane power forth. This would not be pretty, thought Thalin, as the incantation he needed spilled forth from his mouth...

Last edited:

Milo Whittersbane

MILO

Milo Whittersbane pushed the door open easily, the ornate handle came away in his hand in a shower of rust. His eyes quickly adjusted to the half light of the small chamber. On the opposite wall was an ancient portrait of some dwarf, his eyes played over the cracked surface of the picture before landing onto a desk in the centre of the room.

The broken handle clattered to the floor as Milo saw what lay on the desk, without a moments thought he crouched into the room with cat like dexterity and clambered onto the chair that sat near the desk. The chair was built for a dwarf and Milo had no trouble hopping onto it in one bound and then in another he was standing on the desk, in front of him lay a gem the size of his fist.

The surfaces of the gem were beautiful to look at, their colours shifted and twisted with each step that Milo took, on the interior of the gem was what could only be a small phantom image of a hammer. Milo wondered if this was worth a lot. Probably. He edged around the gem with accentuated stealth, knowing the dwarven halls he now prowled in had traps to keep would be trespassers at bay. But Milo knew this and had taken precautions, his lock pick bag lay on the ground by the door, two slender picks still sticking out of the rusted key hole.

The entrance was the hardest and he’d worked there for almost and hour before the door finally sprung loose. But what lay on the desk would be worth his time. He grinned in satisfaction, the dwarves no doubt thought they would be robbed by humans, not by a halfling. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a dirty leather rag and draped it onto the gem. He reached forward with both hands to grasp it.

- - - - - - - - - -

When Milo had explained to his estranged mother about the haunted dwarven mines that contained unheard of treasures she had been sitting in the chicken hutch, pulling eggs from the nests that sat in a semi circle around her.
“But why Milo? You don’t need any treasure”
Mrs. Whittersbane seemed to pause for a moment, as she often did when talking to her carefree son so that she would not say something that would excite him further.
“We are quite happy here, me and your father would like you to take over the farm when we… uh…”
“I know, but there is so much treasure and we could buy so many chickens” Milo continued, almost breathless, “we could make some money from it and get a house outside of the water”

Milo looked around at the reeds that poked between the jetty planks, he shifted his meagre weight to one of his feet, the wood under his feet moaned back in argument. His shoulders fell as he looked further out at the trees that branched up from the murky water and reached for the birds above. I should be up there, flying with the birds and dragons, not kept down here with the chickens. He looked back at his mother as he heard a small crash. He was surprised to see her head in her hands and little sobs bursting out, the egg basket spilled out at her feet.

Quickly hopping over to her, the planks shouting their complaints as he ran over them. He ducked into the hutch, pushing the chickens out the way, they clucked and strutted out onto the jetty. Milo crouched down beside his mother and put his arm around her, she was a little smaller than he was. Milo himself only reached up to the belt line of a human guard, and he was fully grown.

She cried into her hands, Milo had seen his mother cry once or twice before but he was too young and he hadn’t seen her like this for about ten years. He looked down at the fallen basket, all of the eggs, except one, were cracked or broken because of the fall. Nevertheless he put them back in the basket and carefully laid the unbroken one on top. He looked back at his mother and realised she was talking.
“…this would happen but the lord says we must stop it and move”
“ Stop what?” Milo said quickly, attempting to catch up on the missed words.
“The chicken farm” she looked up into Milo’s eyes, “And we must move”
“But I thought you said it was okay, we could stay here until the year of the Walking Ice and then pay it again”
“I know, I know” She sniffed “the lord says we have to move then or we will be thrown out”

Milo didn’t know what to say for once. He had played as a child all his life and quarterway into his adulthood. Never worrying about life was what he did best. He looked down at the crumpled map he had brought of the mines then back at his mother. Something inside him clicked and he jutted out his chin as far as it would go. He held the pose for a few moments before his mother looked up.
“Milo?” she asked
“Mother.” Milo paused for a moment “I will journey to this dwarven mine and find us riches beyond belief. I will return in the year of the Walking Ice and pay this lord his money” he turned his head the other way for dramatic affect “or I shall kill him”
“But Milo…”
“No Mother, I have played to long and dreamt to far. I will make the Whittersbanes the greatest chicken farmers on Toril. I swear by it.”
Milo’s Mother looked up at him with tearful eyes, “May Tymora guide you”
“I will not fail you mother. I’ll bring you back more money, riches and gems than you can dream of…”

- - - - - - - - - -

Milo’s fingers closed around the huge gemstone, he felt a tingle run up his fingers as he touched it. It was warm to the touch. Magic, here after all this time? Milo held the gem in his hands and was staring lovingly at the strange little hammer inside when he heard the first moan echo through the dwarven mines. Milo tried to prick his ears up, just like his pet weasel, Isplit. Where is Isplit?

The second moan was a deal closer and filled with anger. He turned slowly to face the doorway, in the stone frame stood the ragged figure of a dwarven miner, a milky pale pick in hand. Milo could see the shadows of the doorway and retreating tunnel through his body, only shifting wisps created a visible body at all. Milo took a step back and felt his right foot slide over the edge of the desk. No way back, he knew that. Quick, say something.
“Nice, uh, mine you have here” he glanced quickly at the gem in his hands, “Thought I might take a souvenir.”

The ghostly figure stopped as he saw the gem in Milo’s hands. He swayed for a moment as if about to fall sideways then opened his mouth to speak,
“Leave us” a voice like nails drawn across granite, “Leave the keystone”
“Keystone?” interest sparked in Milo’s mind, “Key to what?”
“Leave us!”

The Ghost heaved forwards, the pick scythed slowly through the air towards where Milo should have been. The dwarf and his weapon stumbled into and through the table as the ghost twisted to hit the leaping Milo that sailed overhead. Milo hit the floor with momentum that carried him through the door and into the tunnel he had walked down just minutes before. He glanced right as he began to sprint, looking down the tunnel he had never ventured down and saw three more ghosts stumble from the darkness, transparent heads screaming curses in rasping voices.

Milo didn’t stop. He lunged on ahead, his legs pumping hard towards the main room of the mine. Where is Isplit? The large doors loomed into view and the grey sheen of daylight could be seen clearly on the floor of the main room, the moaning was getting closer. Daring a glance over his shoulder, Milo saw the ghosts not running as they would have but floating towards him, with greater speed than he cared to think about.

Milo burst into the main room, leaping across the old rusted rail tracks that circled the room. From a pile in the corner came a little squeak of recognition and out darted the lithe brown form of Isplit, in his mouth was a small red gem, his small leather coat that strapped round his long waist was dirty with dust. He quickly skidded to a halt as he saw Milo approaching.
“Run Isplit!” screamed Milo, “Ghosts!”

Isplit reared up his head for a better look but got none as Milo yanked the weasel from the floor mid run. Isplit paused to register the situation, then skirted up his arm and onto his shoulder.
“Where were you?” breathed Milo as he leapt another rail track
Isplit looked bored with the question “searching for gems if you must know” the weasel bared his teeth in a vicious smile and produced the small red gem. “You said something of ghosts?”

Behind them the ghosts breezed into the main chamber, their number had increased to ten as far as Milo could count. He kept running, heading for the twisting tunnel ahead that he remembered as the exit. His feet were sure and fast, stepping lightly between cracked flagstones and smashed doorways as if they were not there. Isplit whooped as the exit bobbed ahead of them. Isplit only then noticed the gem clutched in Milo’s hands.

“Oh my gods” Isplit squeaked in delight and threw his gem behind them, the small stone sailed through the bodies of the ghosts that bared down on them, Isplit watched it zip through the mist that should be flesh. Cocking a fur-brow, Isplit greedily circled the huge gem twice before ducking into Milo’s jacket as a ghost leapt at them.

Milo vaulted a last collapsed wall and burst through the mine entrance and into the sunlight. Milo stumbled onto the loose stone slope, his legs went from beneath him and he crashed onto his stomach. Isplit catapulted through the air, screaming in unison with Milo. The ghost behind them failed to stop and fell into the sunlight, its form seemed to dissolve to dust in a whispering sigh. The remnants of the ghost blew over Milo’s face as he propped himself up on his elbows, the swift winds of Vaasa tugged at his clothes as he regained his breath.

Milo then let out a relieved whoop and looked again at the gem sitting on the ground next to him. Isplit jerked his head from underneath Milo’s leg then scurried onto his arm and began to touch the gem with his front paws, licking it once to make sure it was real. Behind them the ghosts stood silent in the darkness of the tunnel, the dead fires of their eyes following Milo and Isplit as they picked themselves up, grinned back at the undead, then walked off down the slope chatting excitedly to each other, Milo’s small hands clutching the Keystone of the Talagbar mines.

Last edited:

cthuluftaghn

First Post
Excellent storytelling! I love your writing style. Your description of what is going on makes it seem real... and you also give wonderful insight into the minds of your characters. I especially like Torious. Your description of his brief battle with Limmet immediately put Torious on my "must follow" list.

My only input has nothing to do with your writing... I wouldn't change a thing about that. I would, however, put more paragraph breaks in... just to make it easier on the eyes. Also, there is NOTHING wrong with lengthy or verbose posts... but I'd allow a day or so in-between each. It gives people a chance to work their way into a new story.

As far as character intros coming first, nothing unorthodox about that. That's exactly the way I started my story hour.

I'll keep my eye out for more. This is going to be a good read.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm typing up the old story accounts (the first is just about finished), they are all pretty much written in the same style and should be a fairly constant flow.

Maybe a new story post every two days up until the point my players are at... hopefully I've pinned down all the details (let me tell you, theres a lot). The first chapter of Ice, Luck and Honour will be posted in nigh upon a few hours...

Ice, Luck and Honour

Chapter One: Fateful Beginnings

Early Winter, Realms Date 1372

Thalin Vorspen pushed his way into the Glacier’s Reach. Strange eyes turned and watched him from the every corner of the tavern. A gust of icy wind ravaged the heavy leather curtains before Thalin heaved the door closed again. Ulutiuns, barbarians who live on the meagre benefits of the glacier, were crowded to each of the walls, and a pair of frostbitten half-orcs huddled next to a raging log fire. The bass rumbles of conversations died down for a moment as Thalin stepped across the floor and placed a hand of copper pieces onto the counter,
“A nights rest” coughed Thalin, not looking up.

The half-orc barkeep stared at the owl sitting motionless on Thalin’s shoulder for a moment, before sizing up the man who stood before him. He was a little taller than the average, though his frame was thin and wiry. A scraggly beard framed his youthful face. Thalin looked up from under his wolfskin hood just long enough to make eye contact with the barkeep. The money was taken and a rag of dirty leather with runes daubed on it in yellow paint was thrust into Thalin's palm. Scrunching the rag up in his hand, and not looking at the other tavern guests, he headed for the stairs.

- - - - - - - - - -

As Thalin disappeared up the stairs, an Ulutiun with a bronzed gorget stood up slowly, leaving his mug half full and made his way after the fledgling mage. But before the Ulutiun had a chance to follow him, two half orcs both dressed in Southern chainmail barred his way, their hands resting on their weapons. The Ulutiun growled something in Glacier-tongue before backing down.

- - - - - - - - - -

The night went uneventfully thanks to the vigilance of the two half-orcs and Thalin rose early the next morning to the sounds of wagons and horses. After a cruel breakfast Thalin decided to find a safe passage southwards. He didn't want to spend any more time than he needed to in Palishuk. The town was the primary trading post between the half-orc traders of Vaasa and the Ulutiuns, yet despite its position of power, the town had never expanded beyond its fifteen houses and large market square.

Wagons were herded like horses in the frozen square as half-orcs and Ulutiuns noisily packed their trade goods into the different areas of the cargo train. Negotiating a quick trade with a half-orc wagon master, Thalin ensured himself a place on the wagon train South. As the preparations for the days long journey began, the appearance of humanoids other than half-orcs and Ulutiuns spurred Thalin to attempt conversation. The harsh weather matched the harsh temperaments and nothing was said of any use.

Thalin threw his travel pack onto the fourth cargo wagon, but a scuttle of noise ensued and it was immediately thrown back out as an Ulutiun stepped forwards, towering over Thalin. Dariel beats his wings and dug his talons into Thalin’s shoulder, but the young mage quickly made his apologies and carefully checks the fifth carriage was empty before jumping in. After a few delays, the wagon train left.

An hour later, Thalin was buried deep in his spellbook. His studies had hit almost a standstill. The incantations and musings of the Arch-mage Mellius were thrown together seemingly randomly; deciphering a sentence was a weeks work, let alone a complete verse. Thalin placed the book down, closing it firmly. The steady rocking of the wagon train and the monotony of the terrain outside soon found the better of Thalin, and he fell asleep.

A jarring halt slid Thalin forwards, ripping him out of his sleep. Thalin instinctively called in his mind to Dariel, but he was gliding nearly a mile ahead of the wagon train, searching for tundra-mice. Thalin’s spellbook spilt across the wooden floor, as it did so, a rat nimbly stepped out of the way, then turned and sat up on its haunches, watching Thalin with little onyx eyes. Slowly crawling to retrieve his spellbook, Thalin picked up scattered parchments as he went and moved determinedly towards the crouched rat. But the rat did not move, even as Thalin waved a menacing hand at it.

- - - - - - - - - -

A man sat huddled in the corner of an otherwise empty carriage, around him a tattered brown cloak was drawn tight. He sat crosslegged, a pole shaped bundle of rags balancing delicately on his knees. Blood was dripping from a deep gash in his side. At his feet sat nearly a dozen rats; all lay attentive to their master in a crude semi-circle. The figures eyes glinted open in the darkness of his hood as the carriage lurched to a stop. He looked intensely forwards for a moment, as if searching his mind for something, someone. A shout from outside broke the man’s concentration and he suddenly winced in pain and clutched his side.

- - - - - - - - - -

A faint shout from outside drew Thalin’s attention. The rat suddenly set down onto all fours and almost fell over, turning quickly as if trying to scratch its side with its teeth. After failing in this, it scuttled to the crack in the carriage door and leapt out. Thalin, wondering what the hell all that was about, gathered his possessions and made to open the carriage door. Before he could, a gauntleted hand reached through the gap and thrust the heavy door sideways with considerable ease. A half-orc dressed in platemail and hefting a greatsword over his shoulder stood silhouetted in the doorway. A light snow had fallen outside and the reflection glared over the half-orcs face and armour.

“You there. Ice mage. Your help is needed”, growled the half-orc in surprisingly well-spoken common.
As Thalin went to answer, the carriage jolted into momentum again. A chorus of shouts came from outside accompanied by the sounds of carriage doors being opened and closed. The half-orc dropped away from the door without another word. Thalin considered the consequences of trusting a half-orc’s word, but his curiosity overrode his commonsense. A sudden, high pitched scream from outside pierced his thoughts. Without another moments consideration, Thalin drew his father's scimitar Shard and leapt out of the door and into the snow.

- - - - - - - - - -

Milo Whittersbane vaulted the last collapsed wall and burst through the mine entrance and into the sunlight. Milo stumbles onto the loose stone slope of the Talagbar mines, his legs go from beneath him, crashing him onto his stomach. His weasel companion, Isplit, catapults through the air, screaming in unison with Milo. The ghost behind them, emiting a hoarse scream, fails to stop and falls into the sunlight, its form dissolving to dust in a whispering sigh. The remnants of the ghost blow over Milo’s face as he props himself up on his elbows, the swift winds of Vaasa tugging at his clothes as he regains his breath.

Milo lets out a relieved whoop and looks again at the gem sitting on the ground next to him. Isplit’s head emerges from underneath Milo’s leg then scurries onto his arm and begins to touch the gem with his front paws, licking it once to make sure its real. Behind them the ghosts stand silent in the darkness of the tunnel, the dead fires of their eyes following Milo and Isplit as they pick themselves up, grinned back at the undead, then walk off down the slope chatting excitedly to each other, Milo’s small hands clutching the Keystone of the Talagbar mines.

“We did it!” shouts Milo, punching the air, thoughts filled with expectation of what Noristour would give him for it. A light snow had fallen since Milo had entered the recently thawed-out mines and the grand expanse of the Vaasa plains lay below him, an even white spread covering everything he could see. Isplit gazes intently into the gem, his eyes wide with delight at the sheer size of the prize.
“How much will it be?” chimes Isplit, although not daring to look away from the gem.
“I’m not sure. Maybe enough to help mother.” Milo says with a frown, his young halfling face suddenly falling at the thoughts of his mother.
Isplit, feeling Milo’s fall of heart, suddenly taps the gem with a claw, “There’s a little axe inside, I can see it!” his voice squeaking with the chance to prove something to his companion.
“I know,” Milo answers quickly, his mind taken away from his mother momentarily, “Its actually a hammer, although I don’t know why its there. Maybe Noristour does.”

The thoughts of payment and gems the size of kobolds heads suddenly shrink away as a distant scream peels up from the plains below. Milo stops for a moment and pulls himself onto the top of a large boulder. Even before reaching the top, a thick curl of smoke dirties the white landscape, its tail leading to a small patch of trees where the base of the mountain meets the plains. A few hundred meters from the smoke, the thin line of a cargo train inches slowly southwards. Milo places his thumb over the figures milling around the wagons and pretends to squash a horse before another scream shakes him to the present.

“We should go down there,” Isplit looks concernedly at Milo
“Yeah, I guess so. Maybe someone is in trouble.” Answers Milo, craning to see a clearer view of the smoke.
“No. I mean maybe we can jump on the wagons, that way we don’t have to walk.”

Milo gives Isplit a stern look before sliding down the front of the boulder and bounding towards the smoke, but not before safely ensuring the gem is tucked tightly into the side pocket of his pack.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thalin tries again to force himself towards the flames, but the blazing roof once again pushes him back. He looks desperately around for something to quell the blaze.
“Circle round the back and find a way in!” Bellows the half-orc in the platemail, his right hand clutching his holy symbol of Torm for guidance.
The woman screams again, she stands sobbing at Thalin’s side. She reaches a hand towards the burning house and screams once more.

A companion to the platemail half-orc turns sharply, “Shut that blasted woman up! Tell her we’ll get her damn child. Kossuth won’t claim this life.”
He is dressed in chainmail and wears a heavy steel helmet on his head. The halberd at his side is adorned with ropes of animal teeth and tattered remains of a Drow scalp. Thalin turns to the woman and holds her by the shoulders, but she shouts at him in a travelers tongue and pushes him away.

The platemail half-orc bellows another order to the chainmail half-orc in Damaran. His change of language has a recognized effect on the warrior and he roars a battle cry and charges into the burning house, brushing aside a burning timber as if it were not even there. As he disappears into the flames, a small figure skids into the clearing around the house and immediately shouts out,
“What can I do?”
“Stay away! The house might collapse at any moment. We can’t risk any more lives!” barks the platemail half-orc, almost ignoring the halfling frame of Milo Whittersbane.

Milo dashes forwards suddenly and shrugging his traveling pack to the floor, scoops up some snow and hurls it at a window ledge almost entirely caught up in fire. The flames die for a second but leap back within an instant. The halfling doesn’t stop, and packing another snowball, hurls a second with the same effect. Beside him, Isplit begins to pack his own snowballs and hurl them, although with decidedly less effect.

Thalin watches the rescue effort around him, the roar of the chainmail half-orc follows the thunderous snapping of a beam inside the house, and the woman screams again and suddenly, despairingly, sprints for the burning door. Thalin surges forwards, now knowing what he can, and must, do. He catches up to the woman quickly and gripping her by the shoulder, spins her round. As he does so arcane words spill forth and the air around the woman’s head suddenly flashes and pulses with a cold light. She drops to her knees, clutching her head as if dazed.

Another snowball hits the windowsill and Milo screams in fury, but this time the snowball sticks as Thalin steps towards the window and extends his hands in another arcane gesture. His cloak billows forwards and a fine spray of ice coats the windowsill in a glistening frost. Thalin turns and shouts at Milo over the roar of the flames.

The platemail half-orc, seeing Thalin freeze up the window bellows a command at Milo. Looking up, Milo lets the half finished snowball drop from his hands and dashes forwards. His sleek body crouches low and in one graceful arc leaps through the frozen window and into the burning building. Isplit goes to follow, but thinks better of it, and starts to construct the beginning of a snow weasel.

- - - - - - - - - -

Milo lands and slides to a stop, the ceiling above him is aflame and all around the heat beats down with unrelenting ferocity. Wincing through the smoke and heat, Milo pushes on through a burning doorway into the central room of the house.

- - - - - - - - - -

Isplit suddenly coughs and rolls onto his side. He squeals and arches his back in pain, as if he himself were burning.

- - - - - - - - - -

Milo coughs violently again, the room is black with smoke and feeling with his hands, touches a body on the floor. The huge from of the half-orc is pinned under a fallen beam but in his hands he holds a small baby girl, grimacing in pain, he offers the baby girl to Milo.
“Take her. Get her out. Just leave me here”
“Oh no you don’t, you’re both coming with me” wheezes Milo. With an quick swirl of his arms, the halfling conjures a small luminescent green ball in mid-air, which hovers for a moment then zips towards the beam pinning the orc. With a splintering crash, the timber snaps in half, leaving the half-orc free. Milo pulls the half-orc to his feet and pushes him back towards the window, the baby girl in the half-orcs arms clutching to his breastplate. With another hand movement, a second green orb hovers in the center of the room before zipping towards the wall directly under the window.

- - - - - - - - - -

Thalin ducks instinctively as the green orb explodes through the wall with a hiss and dissolves into nothingness, moments later the half-orc stumbles out with the girl in his arms. A sudden cascade of fire falls from the ceiling of the building, threatening to close off the blasted wall. But Milo slides underneath the falling ceiling moments before it crashes to the ground. Scampering to a safe distance before standing upright, the halfling beams proudly as the baby girl is delivered safely back to her mother.

Seconds later, the house collapses entirely in a shower of sparks. Thalin looks in amazement from the flaming ruins back to the mother then to the half-orc and finally to Milo. The chainmail half-orc drops to his knees, wheezing heavily. The platemail half-orc looks at Thalin and Milo and nods, acknowledging their help before turning back to his companion.

“Will he be okay?” asks Thalin as the half-orc removes his friend’s helmet to check his wounds.
“He should live.”

A black-feathered bolt shatters through the back of the wounded half-orcs head, instantly killing him. The platemail half-orc looks in disbelief for a moment before three crude arrows zip from the shadowy woods, lodging themselves into his breastplate. The half-orc lumbers to his feet, but only in time to receive a single black-feathered bolt through the neck. He gargles something, spinning slowly around to look at Thalin and Milo before dropping face down into the snow. Another hail of arrows shower into the mother and daughter, their entwined bodies collapse to the ground in silence.

The remaining half-orcs turn and flee back towards the cargo train as a tide of dark green skinned humanoids pour from the woods towards Milo and Thalin, their snarling faces gleeful in the shifting reds and yellows of the burning building…

To be continued in…

Ice, Luck and Honour
Chapter 2: Three’s Company

As Milo and Thalin race away from the goblin raid, they take shelter in a city under the command of a tyrannical mage, where they join forces with a mysterious man claiming to be a descendant of the gods and attempt to uncover the truth behind the goblin raids.

Last edited:

Just thought I'd mention this now. Each arc contains roughly 24 chapters (as each gaming session is split into two chapters... mainly due to the amount to be read in a chapter would be slightly overkill).

Just so you guys know what your going to be reading.

Hope you guys like it so far. I know its a bit cliche with the goblins and caravans and all but it is first level characters and the next session sees the introduction of some major villains... one or two are still massive thorns in the sides of the characters in the latest sessions.

Remove ads