D&D 5E I'd really, really like to hear about some fights with Strahd . . !

dave2008

Legend
I don't see anywhere in the monster manual where you can't use the same action twice in a row although I am not sure what you mean by that.
Referring to lair actions. Most creatures cannot take the same Lair Action twice in a row:
1617709937033.png

However, Strahd is an exception:
1617709993631.png

dave2008

Legend
In the above case, teamwork helps. Have one PC grapple him (reducing his speed to zero). He can turn into a mist on his turn the following round, but is otherwise subject to full attacks from every other PC present.
I don't know if this is RAW, but depending on the type of attack I sure wouldn't allow that. Getting a full attack on a human size creature that is grappled by a creature of a similar size? Not an easy thing to attack without injuring your ally. I would probably start with given Strahd 3/4 cover at least.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I had intended to use this version of Strahd:

As it worked out, I only used the "Count Strahd" and "Mist Strahd" forms from that product. It took the party so long to down Count Strahd and his backup that I skipped "Beast Strahd."

My group had eight PCs, so I figured Strahd needed some backup. They fought him at the Overlook. Strahd had captured an NPC who was important to the party, and he was dangling that person over the abyss with the levitate spell (which I also gave him) when they arrived. He announced that he would let the NPC fall if Ireena didn't come forward and marry him immediately--he had a priest (Father Lucian as a vampire spawn) ready to do the ceremony. Meanwhile, Rahadin and four suits of Strahd's Animated Armor were there to make sure the other PCs didn't rush him. I used this version of Rahadin, reworked as a hexblade:

One of the PCs had the dark gift of spider climb and a cape of the mountebank, so while Ireena distracted Strahd, he climbed around the outside of the building, grabbed the floating NPC, and bamfed them both to safety, and then the fight started. Strahd started by casting fog cloud to counteract the disadvantage from the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind, but that then meant that he couldn't see the PCs to target them, so the whole thing turned into a game of chase-the-mist. Rahadin ended up being a bigger threat, nearly dropping a PC a couple of times. Once the PCs finally downed Count Strahd, I went straight to Mist Strahd so they could finish up the fight in the crypt.

I'd be happy to run a mock combat with 5 x 9th level PCs (1 rare and 1 uncommon item each, no specials) in your choice of 'final room' from the Taroka deck to fight him in. You can run him and do all the rolls. I trust you.

I back myself to kill him.
Oh, can I get in on this? What rules does Strahd have to follow? Minion XP Budget?

Last edited:

I don't know if this is RAW, but depending on the type of attack I sure wouldn't allow that. Getting a full attack on a human size creature that is grappled by a creature of a similar size? Not an easy thing to attack without injuring your ally. I would probably start with given Strahd 3/4 cover at least.
It's not RAW or even close to it, and more than shooting into a melee has a chance of hitting an ally.

But if it works for you, rule however you want.

Oh, can I get in on this? What rules does Strahd have to follow? Minion XP Budget?

He has minions now? That affects the XP budget considerably (he's already a CR 15 Legendary, making him a Deadly encounter alone for 5 x 9th level PCs).

What minions are we talking?

dave2008

Legend
It's not RAW or even close to it, and more than shooting into a melee has a chance of hitting an ally.
What is not close to RAW, what I was reacting too or what I would do?

I agree that shooting into melee has a chance to hitting an ally, that is what I said. Well I included melee attack in that too, but basically the same.

Remove ads