Idea for a 1989 Top Secret S.I. throwback campaign

JPL

Adventurer
For a couple years in the late 1980s, Top Secret S.I. was my jam. Just got to looking at the three-part "Web Wars" campaign, where a team of agents gets involved in espionage shenanigans on a fictional Caribbean island.

Now that would be a hell of a campaign to try in the year 2020 if you kept it set in 1989, and did it like Cannon Films producing a Larry Hama screenplay with a John Carpenter soundtrack.

JPL

Adventurer
Just keep it feeling like a B-movie on a videotape, y'know? With some ninjas, and Uzis, and maybe some of the co-stars from "Predator."

And Cory Everson from ESPN's "Bodyshaping."

I have fond memories of Top Secret/S.I. For a proper Predator/80s action movie feel, I'd think the Commando supplement would be required.

I picked up Top Secret: New World Order and have been thinking about running my group through a one-shot with that. it's so easy to pick up the new rules set. That being said, I couldn't see setting it at any other time than the 80s, when I was originally playing the game. I want to run a Roger Moore-era Bond game mixed with yes, cheap Cannon films action, not a bunch of people committing cyberwarfare.

JPL

Adventurer
Oh, "Commando" was the greatest.

In fact, the other great campaign idea is to just play the "Brushfire Wars" supplement front to back, keeping it all in the late 1980s.

I would allow era-appropriate cyberwarfare if someone wanted to play Mainframe from "G.I. Joe" --- Vietnam vet lugging around a 20-pound briefcase computer who has to explain the word "hack."

JPL

Adventurer
I'm increasingly liking the "Brushfire Wars" idea, and that the cast has to be cheap.

So I'm thinking Carl Weathers, Martin Kove, Tia Carrere, Michael Dudikoff, Christopher Lambert . . . that tier of action hero.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The movie version has to include the clip from whichever Bond movie where Q (the original actor) tells Bond "and try not to break these, 007..." and the PC's boss turns around from the TV to say, "What he said."

Remove ads