D&D 5E Idea for a garotte as a weapon

ECMO3

Hero
So I am trying to make some stats for a garotte - here is an idea I have, what do you think:

Garotte - simple weapon: damage 1, finesse, two-handed, special

Special: As an action you can make a special attack against a target in reach. The target can be up to one size larger or smaller than you and must have a defined head and neck. If the attack hits you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target. While grappled this way future attacks with the garotte automatically hit the grappled target until the grapple is broken.

What do you think?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I'd make it:

Garotte - simple weapon: damage 1, finesse, two-handed, special

Special: If you make an attack roll against a target who has a defined neck and is within 1 size category of you with a Garrote which benefits from Advantage you may use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target. While you maintain this grapple your opponent has disadvantage to any checks made to escape the grapple, and must hold their breath. The target can hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to 1+Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). After which point they must make Constitution Saving throws at the end of each round. The DC of these saving throws is 10 plus 1 for each successful saving throw to hold their breath. On a failure they fall unconscious and begin dying, but become stable if the grapple ends.

It better mimics the benefit of a garrote in choking someone, rather than just doing 1 point of damage every round. Especially as targets gain additional HP. For example a Large Character could garrote a Dragon who just -lets- it happen for 250 rounds (25 minutes) and the dragon would STILL have more rounds before hitting 0.

Or the dragon has 8 rounds to try and kill you in that grapple, break the grapple, or break the garrote before they start making con saves. And even if they fail a con save on, say, round 10, you can loose the garrote and capture the unconscious dragon, or continue to throttle it to death.

Odds are not high that you'll survive those 8 rounds, though... At least not without friends helping a LOT.

Of course it also requires you to have -advantage- to initiate the grapple, and Garrotes are very much weapons of Surprise, not really something you pull out and charge into the fray with.

Khozma

Villager
There are enemies in the MM with garrotes to look at for inspiration, which I believe use the suffocation rules (immediately start choking; drop to 0 HP after a number of rounds equal to a creature's Con modifier with a minimum of 1. IIRC). Requiring something such as surprise to initiate the grapple seems sensible. I would recommend against making them finesse, because garrotes, more than most weapons in D&D, are pure strength to use, and strength could definitely use more options while dexterity already has plenty.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Depends on how realistic you want it.

Garrote in my game

WeaponTypeCostDamageProperties
garroteflail2cp-finesse, two-handed, special

Garrote: You may attempt to grapple while weilding a garrote with both hands. A Large or smaller creature with a defined throat hit by a garrote while grappled by the weilder takes 1d12 bludeoning damage and is silenced until the start of the attacker's next turn.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
Depends on how realistic you want it.

Garrote in my game

WeaponTypeCostDamageProperties
garroteflail2cp-finesse, two-handed, special

Garrote: You make attempt to grapple while weilding a garrote with both hands. A Large or smaller creature with a defined throat hit by a garrote while grappled by the weilder takes 1d12 bludeoning damage and is silenced until the start of the attacker's next turn.
Why bludgeoning? I would think this is slicing damage to cut through arteries and your neck. I like this idea though.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Why bludgeoning? I would think this is slicing damage to cut through arteries and your neck. I like this idea though.
A Garrote doesn't slice the arteries of the neck, it crushes the Windpipe. Or, at least, -severely- impinges on it's ability to function, causing strangulation.

Remove ads