• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea for DC Based Arcane Casting

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I like the idea. In fact this is roughly how casting works in my homebrew system. However once you take out Vancian casting, an RPG moves to the "not D&D" side of the world for me. So I wouldn't make this the base system, but as a system for an optional class it could work.

Elf Witch

First Post
These are some interesting ideas. I would like something like this for a more gritty style non DnD campaign.

I have a question do the other classes face any kind of penalty for rolling say a 1?

If magic can go awry then it would make sense that shooting an arrow or swinging a weapon could mess up as well.

Sure, I'd have wild effects for a spell 'fumble' for non wizard characters. I think effects should scale as the DC for the spell goes up. I think those types of effects can be great tools for DMs to balance or add flavor.

BobTheNob

First Post
I do like this approach. I especially like the way that DCC has you lose the spell if you fail (thus complying with the old school reason for re-memorizing spells at end of day) and more dire consequence for a colossal failure, with a particular LOVE of permanent cosmetic mutation (oops, just grew a tail!).

For what its worth, there is alot of potential here.

Remove ads