Idea for DC Based Arcane Casting

I'd like to share the alternative to Vancian spell casting I am developing for my homebrew campaign based on these personal preferences.

- All players should expect to roll a d20 when attempting to do something challenging.
- Spell casting is chaotic by nature and success is not guaranteed. Flawed spell casting can go horribly wrong....
- Spell casters should not 'run out' of spells, but they should become increasingly difficult to cast.

This is what I have come up with.

-Remove the spell level mechanic from the game. Assign a base casting DC for all spells. You can use the old spell levels as a rough formula for figuring DCs. I was thinking 10 + (spell level x3), so what was once a 1st level spell is now a DC 13 spell.
- Arcane casters have a pool of Focus that grows as you level, similar to HP. Perhaps start with INT score +4/level. This pool is recharged by an appropriate rest mechanic (daily/long rest).
-To cast a spell, Make the DC check. Bonuses for Int and level progression apply (base casting bonus in essence). Specialized casters get a bonus for spells of their school. Damage taken since your last turn and other factors can boost the DC (or give a penalty to the roll, or grant disadvantage, et cetera)
- If you fail, you can use Focus to boost your roll.

Casting can go awry when.....
--Option 1- When a casting check results in a 1- that is; the caster rolls a 1 and cannot or chooses not to spend Focus to boost it to a 2.
--Option 2- When a caster fails to meet at least 1/2 of the attempted DC.
DMs can dust off those classic Wild Magic tables, or use your own judgement to inject whatever you deem is needed.

Game play wise, this makes it so that casting is never guaranteed, and eliminates 'Out of Spells' without granting at will spells. It unlocks the door for 'spell crits' as well, but I am keeping that door closed at the moment.

I am also considering removing the level dependent effects of spells and replacing them with DC modifications. To cast Magic Missile with a single missile- DC 13. To cast it with 2 missiles- DC 16, and so forth. You could even reduce the DCs for spell such as fireball for reduced effect. For instance, a 5d6 Fireball would have a DC of 19 to cast. Maybe a 4d6 fireball would be only DC 17 or a 3d6 Fireball DC 15. It may be wise to have minimum DCs for some spells if I go this route. This may be a little to fiddly, though. May end up on the chopping block.

I strongly considering the idea of letting any character attempt to cast arcane spells. Characters without arcane training get -10 to casting DCs and no Focus pool. They can take feats/backgrounds/themes to mitigate this penalty. This allows for characters who 'dabble' in magic, or have received specialized or limited training without forcing players to multiclass.

As for spell acquisition, I have always taken an active hand and worked with my players to develop spellbooks that are suitable. Not sure if hard rules are required here. I like the idea of letting characters have access to spells that may be difficult for them to cast, especially if using the option that if they do no meet 1/2 the required DC, the DM can toss some failed/wild magic into the mix.

Thanks for reading, and I'd love some feedback.
-Drex

This is very similar to the DCC RPG and thus full of goodness (you should check it out). I have my own pot on the stove in this regard and the fundamental ideas of yours and mine are similar. Good stuff.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Melhaic

First Post
I have always thought that spellcasting should be difficult and require some sort of check/roll...and have consequences for failure. I just never gotten off my bum to design a system (or had a good idea for one, for that matter). You, sir have inspired me.

As an aside, this is the best part of this forum to me: reading a post or reply and sitting back with a new idea or angle on an old idea. Its why I come here. People lose this in the constant poopslinging.

As an aside, this is the best part of this forum to me: reading a post or reply and sitting back with a new idea or angle on an old idea. Its why I come here. People lose this in the constant poopslinging.

I think overall things are improving though. :) It's nice when people can appreciate and respect others preferences without feeling threatened. There's a lot of supportive and knowledgeable posters on here and it's great when they share their ideas and concepts. Sometimes it seems such a waste to argue with someone about the "best" way or edition to do something when instead you can bounce off of their passion and enthusiasm, reveling in their ideas and using this to motivate your own.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

-Remove the spell level mechanic from the game. Assign a base casting DC for all spells. You can use the old spell levels as a rough formula for figuring DCs. I was thinking 10 + (spell level x3), so what was once a 1st level spell is now a DC 13 spell.

Thanks for reading, and I'd love some feedback.
-Drex

I like it. It's pretty Runequest-y in feel (which is no bad thing - RQ magic from the old Chaosium days rocked).

I'm not sufficiently well versed in 3e maths to go into the DC formula. My comment, though, would be that it would be neat if it also incorporated the resistance of any target(s).

I don't know what would work as a general formula though. Some multiple (x5?) of the targets attribute mod?

I like the idea of adding resistances to the DC in principle because it gives the "spell failure on a roll of 1/2 DC" idea more bite.

Herremann, thanks for the tip about DCC RPG. I am surprised that I have not heard of it before. Wish I could preview it before taking the $25 plunge, but I do love sending money to the little guys.

I am intrigued by the idea of integrating monster resistances into the DC roll. I tend to prefer mechanics where the outcome is based on what the player rolls, not what I roll- which is what happens with monster saving throws.

I am really looking forward to implementing this DC based system. My 8 year son plays an illusionist in my campaign. When cooking up these rules I had him in mind. Vancian casting was stifling him. I was running into situations where he'd come up with brilliant ideas for illusions, they just would not work inside the Vancian Box.

This is how I plan on handling his illusionary casting.

He is a specialized caster, so he gains +4 to dc checks from his school. (I see no need for a penalty or prohibited school here. I think all wizards should be able specialize for +4 to DCs from their school, or be well rounded and get +2 to casting from all schools.)

To cast an illusion that affects any 1 of the senses (sight, smell, touch, taste, hearing), the DC is 13. The area of effect is 10' radius.

To affect an additional sense, add 3 to the DC. Add 3 to the DC to increase the effect radius by 5'.

I can mental tally this DC on the fly, and PRESTO- jubilant 8 year old boy!

For instance-
His illusionist, Fieor, wants to create an illusion to lure a band of goblins in an ambush. He decides that a roasting pig would do the trick. He attempts to conjure an illusion that affects sight and smell- the image of a roasting pig on a spit and the scent of fyring bacon (irresistable!). I would set the DC at 16 for this illusion. Fieor has +4 INT mod, +4 for casting from his specialzed school, but no base caster bonus because he in only 1st level (flatter math is the way to go). He rolls a 5, adds 8 for his bonus for a total of 13. He decides to drain 3 points from his pool of focus to reach the DC of 16. Success! The goblins are lured into the ambush, giving the party surprise to start off the combat.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
I've always been bothered that spell casting in D&D is automatic. Short of being jostled (either by a blow or bouncing horse), you can't flub a D&D spell under the normal rules (opponents can resist or dodge a spell, but that's another matter).

I'm not sure this is the answer I'd want, but its a step in the right direction.

I like this idea.. and would love to see it merged with the Elements of Magic Revised...

With regard to monster resistance, I think the attack roll should be used both to determine success at casting the spell and vs the targets defenses. Failure to hit either result in a miss.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

slobster

Hero
Sounds fun.

Assuming you are using the 3.x/PF chassis for this system, you should think about using a skill roll (arcana, spellcraft, or something you make up) to determine whether you succeed or flub your spell. It grows at the right pace, doesn't require you to make up a new "base caster bonus" stat, and allows for other character classes to dabble in it while restricting their ability since it is a cross-class skill for them.

The DC growth seems steep. If you unlock a new spell every 2 levels but they increase in DC by 3 each time, the DCs will eventually run away from your character's capabilities. Unless you have something to make up the difference. Adding magical bonuses from wands and such (and relying on the periodic boosts to your casting stat) seem like they might fit the bill, though, so the progression might be about right after all. Something to think about.

Just spitballing about your other proposed mechanics, but rolling a crit (natural 20) on a spellcasting roll could regenerate one focus for the character, thus providing a benefit for when you roll high (always fun) that doesn't reward only the blaster-types.

All that stuff aside, does this really belong in the 5E discussion area? Maybe it should be moved?

I like the system, because it combines automatic success with a DC roll (as long as you have mana, you can´t really fail on lower level spells.

The way you set it up, it is increasingly easy to cast low level spells, but high level spells will always be hard to cast.

Maybe I would prefer DC of 10+1/level, and no natural base caster bonus. So higher level spells are more difficult to cast and usually cost more mana. I would assume, that you start with 10 mana or so. (One spell guaranteed, even if you don´t have any int modifiers)
Maybe you should be allowed (or even be forced) to spend HP to compensate for missing mana.

Remove ads