Pathfinder 2E Wizard Changes in Pathfinder 2e Remaster

Two blog posts from Paizo detail changes coming to the Wizard class.

Paizo released a preview of the changes coming to the wizard class for the Pathfinder Player Core and GM Core updates to Pathfinder 2nd Edition.

PZO2121_wallofthorns_2000x1333.png

The blog post from Senior Designer James Case discusses the removal of the eight schools of magic. Rather than dividing the wizard class by spell category, the new arcane schools will be based on actual academic study paths in Golarion. Schools previewed in the blog post include the School of Battle Magic, the School of Civic Wizardry, and the School of Mentalism.

A second blog post from Pathfinder Lead Designer Logan Bonner discusses more changes to the wizard class. The term “spell level” is being replaced with “spell rank”, the aforementioned changes to spell schools, and changes to focus spells and the Refocus action.

One of the big changes discussed is the removal of spell components. According to Bonner, the change was made because spell components were highly tied to OGL content, were mostly redundant with traits, had many exceptions for classes (specifically bard, cleric, druid, and sorcerer) to allow those classes to function, and the designers wanted to give more freedom for classes in how they cast spells.

The blog post also goes into detail on changes being made to spell statistics and proficiencies affecting multiclassing, updates to cantrips both for player characters and monsters, and changes to some of the spells.

Full details about changes can be found in the Remaster Core Preview file available in PDF format.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Thanks. Not sure if I should be happy I didn't buy into PF2E or this might be a good place to start, but overall I found PF1E too crunchy for my tastes.
This isn’t a new edition per se, it’s just a revision to remove any dependencies on the OGL. It’s still fully compatible with PF2E.

As for whether you’d like it, I didn’t like PF1 at all, but I love PF2E.

Abstruse

Legend
Thanks. Not sure if I should be happy I didn't buy into PF2E or this might be a good place to start, but overall I found PF1E too crunchy for my tastes.
If you're not sure about Pathfinder 2e, you can always skim over the SRD for free from Archives of Nethys and take a look before you invest in buying the books when they come out. It's still on the crunchy side of things, but a lot of work was done on the action economy and placing it center of the combat. Might be your thing, might not, but worst case you'll know and you might find a few things to steal as house rules for whatever system you like better.

R_J_K75

Legend
If you're not sure about Pathfinder 2e, you can always skim over the SRD for free from Archives of Nethys and take a look before you invest in buying the books when they come out. It's still on the crunchy side of things, but a lot of work was done on the action economy and placing it center of the combat. Might be your thing, might not, but worst case you'll know and you might find a few things to steal as house rules for whatever system you like better.
I'll definitely look into this. As we are starting a new ModernAGE campaign this Sunday, and then a ShadowDark campaign after that, then a Marvel Multiverse game after so PF2E Revised would be well into the future. But it may be long enough to read on the side in the time being. Perhaps they reached a balance in the rules I'll like.

Divine2021

Adventurer
Modern? Presto from the 80s D&D cartoon never used components. He just used the hat as a focus.
People in 2023 are not Gary Gygax drawing on Jack Vance and Fritz Lieber (among others) in their conceptual imagination of what a wizard is. That’s what I meant. Today is more Harry Potter, and no one except for a handful of weirdos like me know who Turjan is. That’s what I meant in my post above: No more, no less.

I'll definitely look into this. As we are starting a new ModernAGE campaign this Sunday, and then a ShadowDark campaign after that, then a Marvel Multiverse game after so PF2E Revised would be well into the future. But it may be long enough to read on the side in the time being. Perhaps they reached a balance in the rules I'll like.
The books are getting streamlined so it's easier to find the relevant rules, but the rules will still basically be the same as they've been. As much as I'd like to recommend it because I enjoy it, it doesn't sound like your type of game if you want a low amount of crunch.

Definitely give the basic rules a skim through on Archives of Nethys and see what you think before buying anything.

Remove ads

Remove ads