Pathfinder Remastered Previews, Starfinder Field Test 2, and More

Catching up on all the Pathfinder Remastered previews, Starfinder Mystic class Field Test, Stream schedule, and Organized Play updates.

Catching up on all the Pathfinder Remastered previews, Starfinder Mystic class Field Test, Stream schedule, and Organized Play updates.

PZO2121_wallofthorns_2000x1333.png

Pathfinder Remastered Previews​

Paizo has been giving us all the previews lately on what's going on with the Pathfinder Remastered project. If you want to go even more in depth, check out the Core Preview File. It will talk more about changing "spell level" to "spell rank," the removal of spell schools, and the new spell format.

Spell components have been removed from spells which will allows the classes more freedom to define how they cast spells. You no longer need to track different proficiencies for each tradition of spells you have, it's just the highest proficiency you already have and lets the attributes do the work. Damaging cantrips will now only use the damage dice rather than adding an attribute modifier. Many focus spells with longer casting times have had their casting times reduced so you can use them in the middle of an encounter.

Pathfinder Player Core will include the following ancestries: dwarf, elf, gnome, goblin, halfling, human, leshy, and orc. In order to reflect the diversity of Golarion, it will introduce versatile heritages: extra options of mixed ancestries and extraplanar origins. Characters can only have one heritage and one lineage feat, but that doesn't mean that other bloodlines don't show up in interesting ways in their DNA.

Ranger's are getting a tweak in their spellcasting. Spellcasting progression is now part of the core components of being a ranger. Their feats will also be streamlined to accrue and recategorize their spells. There will also be some new feats like Warden's Reload, which allows the ranger to reload as a free action once per round if they cast a warden spell. Snares are not going to appear in the Player Core, but will be added in Player Core 2 with the Snarecrafter archetype. Crossbows are now their own weapon group, and a martial crossbow has been added.

There was an entire blog outlining the chapters of the GM Core that took you through running published adventures to making your own game, as well as handing out treasure.

Starfinder Mystic Field Test​

The second field test for Starfinder Second Edition is live and it is the first five levels of the mystic class, along with a few Starfinder 2e spells. The mystic relies on its connections and forming bonds with fellow party members. These connections help customize how they use their vitality network, allowing them to be a powerful healer. There will be more chances for mystics to be more directly connected with deities, but they won't be required to worship deities if they don't chose to.

Stream Schedule​

Paizo announced their Twitch Schedule for the month. This includes a Friday the 13th Lost Omens discussion of the upcoming Pathfinder Lost Omens: Tian Xia World Guide and Pathfinder Lost Omens: Tian Xia Character Guide, as well as Pathfinder and Starfinder Society Foundry Showcases.

Organized Play Updates​

The following adventures will be available on October 25, 2023: Pathfinder Society Scenario #5-05: The Island of the Vibrant Dead, Starfinder Society Scenario #6-08: Lost Revelry, and Starfinder Society Scenario #6-09: Ridgerock Rescue.

Dawn Dalton

Dawn Dalton

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
There’s been some concern similar to what you see in the 5e 2024 discussion but overall it seems less divisive from what I’ve seen. Maybe I just miss those Reddit posts and end up missing most of the objections.
People, really, really, REALLY like the changes-- buffs to the Witch, more focus on making feats POP, dropping alignment while retaining strong expression of Light and Dark Magic, Multiclassing caster is slightly stronger, clarified recall knowledge, a lot of niche spells have been combined (glitterdust and faerie fire are now one spell named revealing light) and many spells are now more flexible. It's basically everyone who likes PF2e's wishlist sans a few bigger changes that would have also been major base-breakers (like dropping Vancian casting, or breaking the game system for the sake of power fantasy.)

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
I think it is telling that the Remastered Bestiary is not coming out until later. That suggests that you should be able to run previous PF2 adventures with Remastered without too much effort.
You can, we're already using many of the changes at my table, its a lot of errata by weight, but it's essentially just errata in the sense of streamlining rules or just reimplementing them into the existing system differently (in the case of alignment) replacing some feats, etc, nothing is changing about monster math (Rage of Elements was already remaster adjusted and they're just normal PF2e creatures, for instance) or even the PCs numbers.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Always look to a company's actions if you do not trust their words. If Pathfinder Second Edition was not doing well, I am fairly certain you would see far more substantial changes in the revision. Those changes would also not be basically doubling down on the changes they already made. From what I'm seeing if you like PF2 as it stands you are going to love Remastered.

Always look to a company's actions if you do not trust their words. If Pathfinder Second Edition was not doing well, I am fairly certain you would see far more substantial changes in the revision. Those changes would also not be basically doubling down on the changes they already made. From what I'm seeing if you like PF2 as it stands you are going to love Remastered.
Yep. They’re doubling down on the system with the Remaster and SF2e. You don’t do that if the system isn’t doing well. Also if Paizo wasn’t doing well, they wouldn’t announce a bunch of projects like replacing their backend financial system and once that’s done, updating their website. They also are moving their warehouse which longterm will be a cost savings, but they need extra money upfront to have both overlap while they move stuff. They also agreed to their first labor union contract with their workers and as a union worker myself, I’ve never seen a labor contract not come with a raise.

The statement they’re doing better than ever is possibly true, but the TTRPG market has never done better as a whole. WotC might have the biggest piece of the market, but that’s a nice gateway into the hobby for folks who end up wanting something different than 5e and look to other another company.

People, really, really, REALLY like the changes-- buffs to the Witch, more focus on making feats POP, dropping alignment while retaining strong expression of Light and Dark Magic, Multiclassing caster is slightly stronger, clarified recall knowledge, a lot of niche spells have been combined (glitterdust and faerie fire are now one spell named revealing light) and many spells are now more flexible. It's basically everyone who likes PF2e's wishlist sans a few bigger changes that would have also been major base-breakers (like dropping Vancian casting, or breaking the game system for the sake of power fantasy.)
I’ve seen minor complaints on Reddit, but mostly people looking forward to the changes and excited for the future. It probably helps Paizo has been pretty good about communicating intent. To be fair, I 100% think WotC has done the same with their updates and some people just need to find something to complain about.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The statement they’re doing better than ever is possibly true, but the TTRPG market has never done better as a whole. WotC might have the biggest piece of the market, but that’s a nice gateway into the hobby for folks who end up wanting something different than 5e and look to other another company.
The OGL fiasco was great for both Paizo and Goodman Games, both companies have said openly.

Staffan

Legend
I’ve seen minor complaints on Reddit, but mostly people looking forward to the changes and excited for the future. It probably helps Paizo has been pretty good about communicating intent. To be fair, I 100% think WotC has done the same with their updates and some people just need to find something to complain about.
There are also a lot more D&D players than Pathfinder players. So even if the complaints come from a small minority, that's still a lot of people complaining.

Reynard

Legend
Have they indicated what AP is going to be the first "Remastered specific" AP? I see that Season of Ghosts just started, which is a month ahead of the new books.

Have they indicated what AP is going to be the first "Remastered specific" AP? I see that Season of Ghosts just started, which is a month ahead of the new books.
I started an AP subscription to get the free PDF for SoG (which discounts a future Foundry module purchase) and it reflects some Remaster changes. Ability scores are gone and it just lists the modifiers. I did notice alignment is still used so that’s not gone yet. I haven’t had time to give it a thorough read yet to see what else is different.

Reynard

Legend
I know this is a couple months old but I just discovered it:

The following is from the official Fantasy Grounds message boards:
I've made statements along these lines elsewhere, but I was waiting for confirmation from Paizo on this being OK. We've now had feedback from Paizo and we can release the following information.

These are the current plans for supporting the upcoming "Core" books (Player Core, GM Core, Player Core 2, Monster Core - "remaster" rulebooks) as well as the existing releases.

We plan to allow Fantasy Grounds users to make the decision to stay on legacy PF2 rules or migrate their campaigns to remaster rules; this applies for existing or new campaigns.

The way we're planning on doing this is as follows, this is all based around information Paizo has previously provided and also to provide the best experience to existing and new FG users:

• The PFRPG2 ruleset will become the main ruleset for the remaster rules. Legacy campaigns will use the PFRPG2-Legacy ruleset (name TBC) which will be a small ruleset layered on top of PFRPG2, similar to the Pathfinder first edition 3.5E/PFRPG relationship.
  • There'll be "switch campaign" (or something similar) functionality when an older PFRPG2 campaign is opened for the first time in the remaster PFRPG2 ruleset - offering the option to remain with legacy (resulting in the campaign ruleset changing to PFRPG2-Legacy) or move to the new rules - which will keep the ruleset as PFRPG2.
  • Campaigns using the PFRPG2 or PFRPG2-Legacy ruleset will be able to open data modules tagged for PFRPG2 or PFRPG2-Legacy; with any limitations programmed around or assumed - e.g. opening a remaster bestiary for a legacy campaign means the creatures won't have alignment traits

Along with
You'll be getting a free upgrade to the FG remaster ruleset.
You'll be getting a free set of all of the FG remaster data records - classes, feats, items, spells, lookup data, etc. that you need to run the game in Fantasy Grounds.
You'll be able to run everything you already have in Fantasy Grounds, using the remaster rules, and you'll get all of the new Core rule books data you need to run remaster in FG for free.
You'll still be able to use the graphics and portraits/tokens from the products you already have.

Personally I think this is a great solution to the FG remaster migration - so much so that I don't think many people are going to buy the new remaster rulebooks in FG (even if they're new to PF2) as they'll have what they need to play available to them. This is a double-edged sword, as it means that the FG work-for-hire devs, who will spend hundreds of hours doing the remaster data and migration code, are going to get hardly any recompense for all of their hard work; but that's the hit we'll take if it means that we're offering a good solution to the users, while keeping within the current license agreements.

I think this pretty much cements my shift from D&D to PF2R.

Remove ads

Remove ads