D&D 5E Ideas for a magical whip used as part of a duel-wielding combo

RoiC.

Explorer
In my current campaign, the Two-Weapon Fighting Style gives you the option of using the second weapon attack as part of your Attack Action (think of it as another Extra Attack), instead of using your Bonus Action. One of my players plays an Aarakocra Ranger, and I know that the guy is kind of interested in using a whip. I'm trrying to think of a cool magical whip I can give him to go with his fighting style (other than giving it the light property, which is pretty much a must in this case), that either come as part of a set with some other (light, finesse) weapon, or something that he can mix & match with other weapons. Problem is, I don't have any ideas going on, both fluff- & mechanics-wise. If you folks have any ideas, concepts and suggestions you'd like to share, I'd be really happy to hear.

Last edited:

Audiomancer

Adventurer
A magic whip that could entangle an opponent (like a Rope of Entanglement) could be fun. Unless they already do that in 5E -- I've never used a whip in this edition.

Or maybe the whip gives the wielder a chance to disarm his opponent on a hit (or snatch away a similar item held in the hand).

Richards

Legend
I have a player in my 3.5 campaign with a dual-wielder ranger who uses a whip of thorns as her off-hand weapon. The thorns are retractable at the user's desire.

Johnathan

neogod22

Explorer
In my current campaign, the Two-Weapon Fighting Style gives you the option of using the second weapon attack as part of your Attack Action (think of it as another Extra Attack), instead of using your Bonus Action. One of my players plays an Aarakocra Ranger, and I know that the guy is kind of interested in using a whip. I'm trrying to think of a cool magical whip I can give him to go with his fighting style (other than giving it the light property, which is pretty much a must in this case), that either come as part of a set with some other (light, finesse) weapon, or something that he can mix & match with other weapons. Problem is, I don't have any ideas going on, both fluff- & mechanics-wise. If you folks have any ideas, concepts and suggestions you'd like to share, I'd be really happy to hear.
No, what 2 weapon fighting does, is allow you to ad your STR or DEX bonus to damage on your offhand weapon. Your off-hand attack still uses your bonus action.

RoiC.

Explorer
No, what 2 weapon fighting does, is allow you to ad your STR or DEX bonus to damage on your offhand weapon. Your off-hand attack still uses your bonus action.
Yeah, but I did say "in my current campaign" - that's a house rule that I'm using.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
If he wasn't Aarakocra I'd say have the whip give the wielder a "brachiation" like effect, climb speed equal to half walking speed when in forested conditions or something.

Since they are though...

Maybe the whip does an extra 1d4 thundering damage even on a miss?

Last edited:

Remove ads