D&D 5E Ideas For a World of Islands? (+thread)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf what is the largest island you are considering? England, Ireland, Honshu (Japan), Taiwan, Sumatra, Borneo, Madagascar - these are all pretty large islands, wherein most of the time, you don't actually feel like you are on an island. Comparitively, Shikoku, Guam, Hong Kong are small enough that you can walk their perimeter in a week or less, in some cases a day. Have you considered an upper bound on island size? (Heck, some may say that Australia or Antarctica are "islands", since they are not connected to another landmass).
In the OP I used Indonesia as the largest island. Most are smaller, though there is probably a chain somewhere of “huge” mountainous islands that have a mountain rain shadow and look a bit like a drowned California Central Valley.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Cool idea, though for it to work either the islands would need to be pretty close together or that syndicate is gonna have to have an awful lot of boats. :)

(I'm assuming "boat-bridge" to mean the boats are rafted together such that the army or caravan walks across from one island to another)

Yeah, I had in mind a ridiculously long bridge made of boats or rafted. No really possible in real life, but with the help of the goo'old ''because magic'', I think it would be cool. But yeah, its more to move from one island to the one next to it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah, I had in mind a ridiculously long bridge made of boats or rafted. No really possible in real life, but with the help of the goo'old ''because magic'', I think it would be cool. But yeah, its more to move from one island to the one next to it.
Would be cool to have a super long bridge supported by some sort of magic (that is now starting to fail), such that the two island people have had very friendly and profitable relations over the years. Now that the bridge is failing, how will they continue to work together? (I'm thinking of the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, although there are no doubt many other bridges of similar span).

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hey - how many moons will your world have? Depending on the answer, maybe you can play with Tides in some way? Perhaps when the moons all align, there are terrible tsunamis planet wide, and this is something that only happens once every 1000 years. The longer lived folk (elves for example) remember, vaguely, the last time this happened. But the more rapid lived folk pooh pooh such a thing...

Undersea cities (like just below the surface). Or super deep cities, but populated by modified surface folk. I'm thinking of the novel Starfish by Peter Watts. It's an SF novel, but anything technological can be hand waved with Magic...

Magic rituals to switch between water and air can be routine.

Some water species have an alternate form. A particular species might have three, humanoid, aquatic beast, and living water. It resembles reallife folklore.

Aldarc

Legend
In the OP I used Indonesia as the largest island. Most are smaller, though there is probably a chain somewhere of “huge” mountainous islands that have a mountain rain shadow and look a bit like a drowned California Central Valley.
So New Guinea or Borneo sized? Keep in mind that New Guinea is almost twice the size of California, and Borneo is slightly bigger than Texas.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So New Guinea or Borneo sized? Keep in mind that New Guinea is almost twice the size of California, and Borneo is slightly bigger than Texas.
Sure. Again, we’re talking about the largest land masses in the world. I suspect that to have recognizable ocean currents and the like, you’re gonna want a couple archipelagos made up of larger islands, and having islands that big helps have room for stuff like larger stretches of desert, plains, massive jungles, etc, but you still have those peoples immediate neighbors in a coastal region.

Remove ads