Ideas for adventuring in a temple of Good?

Lizard Lips

First Post
My party is going to be exploring a long lost temple to a good god to pick up a few clues to the plot they're involved in. I don't want this to be a simple "walk through the temple and look at the frescoes", but I'm getting stumped for ideas. I can't really throw monsters at them, as they'd be good and aligned with the party's goals. I was thinking of a whole mess of traps, but a bunch of pit and arrow traps are a bit boring. Any thoughts?

handforged

First Post
well,

tests of faith
tests of knowledge
traps keyed to the religious precepts of the deity
puzzles
frescoes that change and must be visited multiple times

Don21584

First Post
There could be a (small) evil party adventuring in there to do some damage to the temple that the adventurers could come across.

Jezrael

First Post
Well, since it's a long-lost temple of good, perhaps some baddies have desecrated it and taken up residence. They now have the double goal of looking for clues and re-consecrating the temple/driving off the baddies who've taken up residence.

Good time to introduce some Yuan-ti (nice dark nest for 'em) or maybe some Troglodytes (Trogs are fun).

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: The usual grammar and spelling

Last edited:

StalkingBlue

First Post
Well, are you sure those PCs of yours all all that good? Never done anything to sit heavy on their consciences? All ready for paladin school, through and through?

If not, I don't see why they shouldn't run into a few problems with the surviving "good" elements of the temple, which could be inanimate (protective magic, taps) or animate ("guardians", certain undead).
For example, what if no one but a person with "clean hands" (whatever you want that to mean) can enter some very holy areas in the temple. Old blood stains could start showing up on PCs when they get closer to a certain door / walk beneath a skylight letting in rays of morning sun filtered by the leaves of whatever has overgrown the temple ...

If you want, all that can serve simply to keep the PCs on their toes, uncertain whether they are actually "good" enough to move around in that temple - or it could get nastier for some or all of them.

Shallown

First Post
I had a Dwarven temple of Moradin that I used a few times. It was a good temple but had been taken over by Duegar and they still operated the mines and such. The only bastion of good left was the actual temple/worship room. The alter and pews were safe. teh characters often retreated to there and healed up or camped. They had to clean out the infidels and seal it. So it stayed lost this time. Allowed me to drop in some neat treasure and things the felt the had to return to the dwarves. Relgious artifacts/items and such are not always easy to transport but the various groups who have gone through it seldom wanted to leave anything behind and not out of greed but to turn them over to the other dwarves.

This could work lots of ways also Good temples can have zealots and such or spirits of priest past protecting it and not understanding the characters motives.

theres a lot to do with this location.

Dieter

First Post
Dust off your copy of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade."

The temple of the Holy Grail is a prime example of what you should expect in a place of good mojo.

Remove ads