Pathfinder 2E ideas for caster runes (homebrew)

Uni, our dear Cap'n has stated (after "the many, so very many, detailed attempts at analyzing and fixing various parts of PF2 that does not work well") that he no longer wants to fix issues with PF2. He would have liked it to work exactly right, straight out of the box, and since (in his opinion) it doesn't, the game is hot trash.

Cap'n, I hope I haven't mischaracterized your position.

Personally, I still maintain that low-level spellcasters in PF2 are fine as-is. They just have to realize that when they are facing really tough foes (more than a level above theirs), they can't expect to touch them with save spells or targeted spells. At those times, they need to either (1) buff their party members, (2) do something that affects the environment favorably, or (3) use magic missile or force bolt, which always hits. Or do any number of other things to help the party win the day (aid, maneuver, etc).
OK, I only skimmed the thread - I though @CapnZapp was looking for suggestions / feedback. But they didn't reply to my thread - so maybe your correct!

EDIT: I see the Cap replied to your post defensively, but didn't address mine. Not sure what that means?

@CapnZapp, If the reason your having this issue is low level casters having poor save DCs and attack bonus, wouldn’t the easy solution be to adjust the targets? Just give level 3 and below monsters a -3 to their defenses / saves versus magic. This drops down to -2 at lvl 5 and -1 at lvl 7 and 0 at lvl 9. Isn’t that a super simple way for people to ply low level wizards and fix the issue as you have stated it? Or am I missing something. I think it even makes fictional sense as stronger monsters should be stronger against magic.

This is a great idea and trivial to implement. I think I may try it out myself, as I agree that lower level casters need a boost (although I don't think the sky is falling, especially when you can do something as easy as this).

MarkTatsu

First Post
I generally find that casters are fine except for a few snags here or there. Biggest one is levels 5-6 when martials get a boost. In reality though it's a small difference and there is a ton more to the game than combat. Scooching the proficiency increases earlier would be a simple fix for it. Really, though it's not a huge thing and I never found my casters feeling weak other than when I get some bad rolls. But I also had that on my martials when the dice are against me haha.

I really think the issue is paizo's adventure paths are not built with casters in mind. I only play custom campaigns and my gm is experienced. So, we always seem to get just enough rests so that our casters are stressed a bit but never feel without options. However, for new players or people that like to play premade campeigns the casters will feel super weak.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases