D&D 5E If 5e does maneuvers right, it will add authentic medieval maneuvers

Balesir

Adventurer
"If 5e does maneuvers right, it will add authentic medieval maneuvers"

...to go with the authentic medieval hit points, character classes and levels, no doubt.

This is not the game you're looking for; D&D is so far removed from "authentic" anything that trying to add "authenticity" is just daft, as far as I can see.

I don't see that as a bad thing, though. There is definitely a place for a trope-rich fantasy game, and D&D has been the "poster child" for that game for years.

There's room for "authentic" games, too - and they already exist. Try The Riddle of Steel, GURPS (to an extent) and the like.

Serendipity

Explorer
I'd be okay with a rules module that broke the combat round down into one or two second segments to allow for that kind of granularity, but as a core system I just don't think it would fit what we know of the next D&D edition.
As an aside, in general when I want that kind of granularity, I play Runequest. :)

Halivar

First Post
"If 5e does maneuvers right, it will add authentic medieval maneuvers"

...to go with the authentic medieval hit points, character classes and levels, no doubt.

This is not the game you're looking for; D&D is so far removed from "authentic" anything that trying to add "authenticity" is just daft, as far as I can see.
If the authenticity is question is fun and/or awesome, then I don't see it as daft. Put this on a dial and let people choose.

P1NBACK

Banned
Banned

Nah. There is plenty of room for authenticity in D&D. We use it all the time for our wilderness travel, ecology, economic models, etc.

Just because D&D has hit points as an abstract concept doesn't mean there shouldn't be rules for portraying authentic styles of fighting or even stuff based on Appendix N fiction that is "authentically Conan" or something.

Then, we can layer the wondrous and magical over that. It provides context and makes that stuff really exciting.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I'm not too interested in seeing D&D try to turn itself into a simulator of "authentic" medieval combat. It's a fantasy game defined by wizards and, well, dungeons and dragons, not 15th Century Europe: The Game. It would have to have guns in the core rules to be authentic in that way, anyways, yet no one seems to want that (even though it would be fun).

I'd much rather have crazy fantasy combat that, you know, factors in the idea that the PCs are great heroes with mythic abilities that use magic and pretty much super-human physical power to defeat terrible monsters that couldn't exist in the real world. It's pretty much impossible to do that if the combat system is designed to be a simulation of how real-world humans crudely hacked away at other real-world humans. Real world battle is nothing but suffering, brutality, misery, and gore. I see no reason to even attempt to bring that into a game of all things.

SageMinerve

Explorer
I'm not too interested in seeing D&D try to turn itself into a simulator of "authentic" medieval combat. It's a fantasy game defined by wizards and, well, dungeons and dragons, not 15th Century Europe: The Game. It would have to have guns in the core rules to be authentic in that way, anyways, yet no one seems to want that (even though it would be fun).

I'd much rather have crazy fantasy combat that, you know, factors in the idea that the PCs are great heroes with mythic abilities that use magic and pretty much super-human physical power to defeat terrible monsters that couldn't exist in the real world. It's pretty much impossible to do that if the combat system is designed to be a simulation of how real-world humans crudely hacked away at other real-world humans. Real world battle is nothing but suffering, brutality, misery, and gore. I see no reason to even attempt to bring that into a game of all things.
There ARE guns in the core rules: they're called magic.

"Realistically" speaking (and I use the term VERY loosely), a fantasy world in which access to magic is so easy (as most D&D worlds are) would see most everyone ditch heavy armor for essentially the same reasons it was ditched in Europe's Renaissance: heavy armor doesn't protect you against magic AND it impedes on your mobility and agility.

But then again, when you have a system in which the heavier the armor, the better the defense, the point is rather moot...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases