D&D 5E If a magocrat is a magical bureaucrat what's a religious advisor?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm working on four new backgrounds, because I love backgrounds. I'm thinking of piling four different advisors together, leaning into the four knowledge skills.

Magocrat - Arcane
Naturcrat - Nature
Bureaucrat - History
YYY - Religion

I'm at a loss for the word to use there.

They'll be similar to my Remarkable Drudge in that they each have a little bit of magic.

Etymologically, a "-crat" is a decision maker, not an advisor. It comes from Greek kratos, "power" or "rulership. A "Bureaucracy" is a system where decisions are made in offices ("bureaus") based on that office's internal rules. "Bureaucrats" are people who participate is the bureaucracy, though their individual decision making power is often quite limited by the system.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Etymologically, a "-crat" is a decision maker, not an advisor. It comes from Greek kratos, "power" or "rulership. A "Bureaucracy" is a system where decisions are made in offices ("bureaus") based on that office's internal rules. "Bureaucrats" are people who participate is the bureaucracy, though their individual decision making power is often quite limited by the system.
Yeah, if we're looking for an advisor or expert position, you'd probably want -ician or -(o)logian.

Magocrat = someone who rules/commands by way of their magical power. Magician = someone who has expertise with magic.
Theocrat = someone who rules/commands by way of their religious power/knowledge. Theologian = someone who has expertise in religious matters.

There's even another real-world term here: "technocrat" vs. "technician." Technicians are the people who do the technical work. Technocrats promote rule by educated elites.

aco175

Legend
Each religion would likely have their own name as well. A war god could have people with the name warmonger or even tactician. It can be as hard as one wants.

jgsugden

Legend
I think this could be several backgrounds. We already have Acolute, Charlatan, Courtier, House Agent, and Noble which all work for certain interpretations.

I'd add:

Theocrat - Religion and Insight would be the skills with an ability that allows them to influence individuals that follow their religion.

Cultist - Deception and Persuasion would be the skills with an ability to access help from members of their cult.

Preacher - Persuasion and History would be the skills with an ability to distract crowds with a speech/prayer session.

Fanatic - Insight and Religion would be the skills with the benefits of being single-minded: When performing downtime activities you can achieve them in half the time it takes others. Drawback: You are required to have meaningful oaths that you intend to follow at all costs. This would not inherently be appropriate for a politican, but many characters designed to be religious politicians could fit the background.

Remove ads