D&D 5E If a PC had his brain "eaten" by an Intellect Devourer and then goes into an antimagic field...?

Oofta

Legend
What if, after so long pretending to be him, the ID begins to actually THINK it is him? What if that would eventually allow the devoured intellect to reassert control? Then he could be both?
I like it, maybe a intellect devourer with dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities)? Something about being in an anti-magic zone makes the ID think it's really the person it ate. Except of course does it know leaving the zone could be dangerous? Or can the "real" personality take over now and then? :unsure:

jasper

Rotten DM
Well, considering the fact that the Intellect Devourer literally ate his brain and took up residence inside his empty skull... I'd say the character would be in pretty bad shape. :)…..
Yes he has become a Star Wars fan.
beep beep Jasper runs and hides.

NotAYakk

Legend
How the ID works isn't actually described. But let's go for maximum fun.

The ID is like a hermit shell crab. That brain on its back? One it took from someone.

It wears your brain like a hat. This is where your mind, memories and soul live. You are dead, and trapped in your own dead brain. It has complete veto over all of your actions as it is wrapped around all "IO ports" of your brain.

Over time it digests your memories and becomes smarter. But it isn't very good at social intelligence, and devouring your morality and the like would get in the way of eating more brains. So when disguising itself as you, it actually lets your soul and mind do things; it magically knows what you are about to do, and steps in and takes over whenever you do something out of line. Then it edits your mind a bit to make you not do that any more.

In an antimagic field, it is still in there, but it isn't as fast at intercepting your actions, nor can it further digest your memories, nor can it edit your mind to avoid you doing it again.

This means whenever the "trained mind" it has in the skull does something it doesn't want it to do, it is slower at stopping it, and the resulting behavior isn't as smooth.

Not every mind notices this. A well "trained mind" can continue to do what the intellect devourer wants without ever noticing that it has increased control. It may continue to fool its companions because it is broken to the harness. If it did try to say "I'm possessed by an intellect devorerer", it could probably get out the first two words before the devourer could take over, and the devourerer in direct control would be forced to act strange not having full access to its backpack-brains mind.

All you tell the player is "you feel a strange headache" when you walk into the prison. That is the only clue they get. As a player, they get to say if their character is broken to the harness ... or not ... by the player's choice of actions.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
OK, I've run the numbers, and it appears that when you put someone infected by an intellect devourer into an antimagic field, the buildup of thaumaturgons inside the cranial cavity will overcome the negative Δ3-wave pressure from the field resulting in an acute volatile exothermic reaction. (The PC's head will explode.)

Coroc

Hero
I like it, maybe a intellect devourer with dissociative identity disorder (multiple personalities)? Something about being in an anti-magic zone makes the ID think it's really the person it ate. Except of course does it know leaving the zone could be dangerous? Or can the "real" personality take over now and then? :unsure:

The therapy session is over and the shrink thinks he is the hen now :p haha

Coroc

Hero
OK, I've run the numbers, and it appears that when you put someone infected by an intellect devourer into an antimagic field, the buildup of thaumaturgons inside the cranial cavity will overcome the negative Δ3-wave pressure from the field resulting in an acute volatile exothermic reaction. (The PC's head will explode.)
Yea that sounds good. Exploding heads should come up more often. Everybody at the table will have a blast.

Just joking Your post is absolutely great.

We should start a thread explaining magical effects especially unclear side- and counter effects using some pseudoscientific language.

Imagine you sitting on the table telling the player: "Ugh, bad luck pal, you ran into an antimagic field which interacted with the intellect devourer who has been replacing your brain for some time now. Your head explodes."

Player starts to complain : "But, but ahm that's not quite RAW is it ...?"

You: "Ok it is not that detailed in the rule books, but let me give you the full scientific explanation of what just happened:

When you put someone infected by an intellect devourer into an antimagic field, the buildup of thaumaturgons inside the cranial cavity will overcome the negative Δ3-wave pressure from the field resulting in an acute volatile exothermic reaction."

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: I just try to imagine the look on the faces of my players would I come up with something like that

Oofta

Legend

I'm envisioning something like this. NOTE: kind of graphic at the end!

Remove ads