D&D General IF D&D were for sale ...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Being a good steward of a property means trying to engage all the fans of that property, not just the ones who like your most recent version of it and are paying you the most money. A lot of older fans would be happy if the all the settings were released on the DMs Guild, folks were allowed to make products on the Guild for previous editions of the game, and the 3e SRD were put into the Commons, as they heavily intimated they would do and are dragging on without explanation. None of these actions are particularly onorous on their part.

Zardnaar

Legend
Being a good steward of a property means trying to engage all the fans of that property, not just the ones who like your most recent version of it and are paying you the most money. A lot of older fans would be happy if the all the settings were released on the DMs Guild, folks were allowed to make products on the Guild for previous editions of the game, and the 3e SRD were put into the Commons, as they heavily intimated they would do and are dragging on without explanation. None of these actions are particularly onorous on their part.

Not really. Fans sometimes want opposed things.

And eventually things become obsolete.

Micah Sweet

Not really. Fans sometimes want opposed things.

And eventually things become obsolete.
Again, not a lot of effort on their part, great goodwill move. I'd love it if they demonstrated any interest in their fans beyond their pocketbooks. Even just a little bit.

Stormonu

Legend
I would like to at least see them open the old settings for use on DM’s Guild. If, for example, WotC’s not going to touch Dark Sun with a 10-foot doozer stick, let someone who has the gumption give a go.

Putting old editions into a public SRD or CC I could agree with as well - its unlikely WotC’s ever going to do anything for those old rules versions, and even if they do a one-off release (like they did with L3), that wouldn’t require exclusivisity.

Micah Sweet

I would like to at least see them open the old settings for use on DM’s Guild. If, for example, WotC’s not going to touch Dark Sun with a 10-foot doozer stick, let someone who has the gumption give a go.

Putting old editions into a public SRD or CC I could agree with as well - its unlikely WotC’s ever going to do anything for those old rules versions, and even if they do a one-off release (like they did with L3), that wouldn’t require exclusivisity.
This is what I'm saying.

Vaalingrade

Legend
The issue with letting Dark Sun into the Dm's Guild is that the DM's Guild is still connected to WotC and they clearly don't want that connection. For pretty obvious reasons considering that thread a while ago about what people think is 'essential' to the setting.

Remove ads