• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E If "Extra Attack" Was A Feat, What Would Its Prerequisites Be?

JasonZZ

Explorer
Supporter
10th level, martial proficiency and at least two maneuvers, only usable (proficiency bonus) times per long rest.

When you make an attack action, you may use a bonus action to make a second attack.

Yes, it's far slower and far inferior to the real thing; that's the point. I wouldn't give the fighter's core abilities to a caster for just a feat any more than I'd give full spellcasting to a fighter for just a feat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I will always push back against caster supremacy, and doubly so against proposals that EXACERBATE that problem. The disrespect was 100% intentional. Cope.
Mod Note:

It is 100% possible to disagree with someone without being disagreeable. We like to encourage healthy but polite discourse here at ENWorld.

This fails.

Don’t post like this again.

mellored

Legend
I'm pretty sure a number of 5e feats have a very stupid ability score gate.
I feel those are mainly to guide new players.

Defensive Dualist requiring 13 Dex is a way to reinforce using it with a Finesse weapons.

So you don't have a 20 Str paladin with a great axe picking it up and switching to a dagger.

I would allow any of my players to ignore that.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
10th level, martial proficiency and at least two maneuvers, only usable (proficiency bonus) times per long rest.

When you make an attack action, you may use a bonus action to make a second attack.

Yes, it's far slower and far inferior to the real thing; that's the point. I wouldn't give the fighter's core abilities to a caster for just a feat any more than I'd give full spellcasting to a fighter for just a feat.
Well, a few things come to mind:
  • It's not a core ability of the Fighter. Extra Attack is a feature that is available to Barbarians, certain Bards and Clerics, Fighters, Monks, Paladins, Rangers, certain Warlocks, certain Artificers...
  • I wouldn't give full spellcasting to a fighter for just a feat either. That's why this feat does nothing of the sort.
  • Setting the prerequisites as high as you are doing here would guarantee that players would just dip a few levels of (Insert Class Here) instead, which is what I'm trying to dissuade them from doing.
  • I thought you could already make an off-hand attack as a Bonus action if the off-hand weapon was light. Have I been doing it wrong?

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I thought you could already make an off-hand attack as a Bonus action if the off-hand weapon was light. Have I been doing it wrong?
Being able to make a 2nd weapon attack with your main weapon, one that is more likely to be magical and also to benefit from stacking damage feats like Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter, is a MUCH bigger boon that the light weapon attack from dual-wielding.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Being able to make a 2nd weapon attack with your main weapon, one that is more likely to be magical and also to benefit from stacking damage feats like Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter, is a MUCH bigger boon that the light weapon attack from dual-wielding.
I agree it's a boon, but I think we disagree on how much of a boon it is. I think it's approximately equal to a feat.

Remove ads