• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If Hasbro Pulls the Plug....

Pour

First Post
Honestly not completely sure what offended you.
But whatever.

It did seem to me you were trying to have it both ways a bit by defending *continued support of 4E* but avoiding actually defending 4E itself. I don't believe it can work that way and if I called you on it a bit to directly, then I apologize.

My apologies as well. Yesterday wasn't the best day, and I've since been told to grow a thicker skin. I guess the way I read the post seemed really aggressively directed against something I care for and on my person for caring about it, but I'm not always able to glean the exact tone or intentions of posts. I let it get too personal.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
If Hasbro pulls the plug, can't we just switch to Auxiliary Power? Or redirect the Plasma Flow?

It always works in Star Trek...

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
If Hasbro pulls the plug, can't we just switch to Auxiliary Power? Or redirect the Plasma Flow?

It always works in Star Trek...
Hmm...
If we could decouple the moderators and phase shift the p frequency on the Buzzard collectors, we could power the whole thing off nerd rage.

caudor

Adventurer
One idea...Hasbro could buy Paizo and run it along with WotC. Together, they may hit the magic 50 million mark.

I know some people would...

*ducks*

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
If Hasbro pulls the plug on D&D (especially 4e D&D), 3e'ers will always have the OGL and OGC with which can be added to with new material.

4e'ers will have . . . i dunno. Doesn't the GSL let Hasbro pull it all down? It becomes stagnant with the books that were published. The 4e character builder can have its plug pulled.

Stormonu

Legend
The OGL was enacted a year after Hasbro acquired TSR. Pretty sure they were aware of it before it went into effect and could have stopped if they so chose.

Damn, my memory is messed up. I could have sworn 3E came out before Hasbro bought WotC, but reading up it looks like it was after. The first of the OGL products I see are Death in Freeport (Nov 2000) and Creature Collection (Oct 2000). From what I've been reading, Hasbro bought WotC in 1999.

GreyLord

Legend
If Hasbro pulls the plug on D&D (especially 4e D&D), 3e'ers will always have the OGL and OGC with which can be added to with new material.

4e'ers will have . . . i dunno. Doesn't the GSL let Hasbro pull it all down? It becomes stagnant with the books that were published. The 4e character builder can have its plug pulled.

I've already stated 4e is close enough to 3e that it probably can be recreated or some form similar to it with the OGL, probably easier and more legally than creating some of the retroclones.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As stated before and elsewhere, you cannot copyright game mechanics, so making a mechanical clone of 3Ed, 4Ed and any other game is perfectly legal. What gets people in trouble are the copyrightable elements- unique terminology, visual elements, descriptions, etc., that give a game its character.

Remove ads