If Hasbro Pulls the Plug....

TheAuldGrump

First Post
What will folks do if Hasbro pulls the plug on D&D?

The Escapist article describes Hasbro 'marginalizing' properties that generate less than 50-100 million dollars.

If (and hopefully that is a big IF) D&D has fallen below whatever magic number Hasbro has chosen, what will folks do?

And how would it affect the industry?

What games are in the book trade, aside from Pathfinder, will work as a gateway?

I'm okay, I have Pathfinder, Spycraft, and other games. But....

No edition warring, no comments like 'I'll be dancing in the streets!' - a consideration of the impact that the loss of what has for a long time been the flagship and most common gateway to RPGs.

The Auld Grump

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'd continue to play Pathfinder.

As for the industry, it sounds like the death of the retail store carrying RPG products is more of a threat than what WotC does with D&D.

Actually, a rest period for D&D may be the best thing for it.

Wait until Pathfinder has matured a few years then have a relaunch.

Treebore

First Post
I've already left the proverbial building, so it would have no impact on me. Other than if they also stop making the related board games. That may make me a little bit on the sad side.

I'm too busy playing Castles and Crusades, Traveller, Legend of the 5 Rings, Aces and Eights, Swords and Wizardry, and other RPG's whenever the chance arises to really feel any concern over such an event. Gaming will go one as long as we want. Because of that I think the rest of the industry will do just fine. Maybe even better, with such a major competitor out of the way.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
For D&D fans:

1) It will be like the "Death of Superman" story arc- one or more of the better 3.X titles will become dominant or co-dominant among the 3.5philes who feel they need to buy stuff.

2) depending on "when" 4Edphiles of a similar bent will be s.o.l. unless/until another publisher does what Paizo, Green Ronin, etc., have done.

For the rest of the industry:

1) with the marquee name out of the market, there will be room for a successor...but also uncertainty about the market in general. With no single game with anything remotely resembling the broad-based pop-culture name recognition, it may be difficult to bring new blood- and new retailers- into the fold.

2) ...but computer RPGs may fill that gateway role for players, if not retailers.

Still, the DDI model- even though I don't particularly care for it- could go a long way towards returning/keeping D&D in Hasbro's profitability targets...especially if there is electronic support for the other RPG systems comprising WotC's stash of IP.

The same could be said of other products under the D&D banner- TV, movies, merch, etc., if well done, may also keep D&D viable.

AND this all assumes that Hasbro marginalizes and retains ownership of D&D instead of selling it.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games

All they can decide to do is not make money on it and shelve it for a while. (I doubt they'd ever sell it.) There's more than enough D&D stuff out there to explore for generations to come. Plus, there's the OGL. Plus, there are plenty of other games on the market to check out, many of which scratch the various, typical D&D itches that exist. Some might find that one or two of those alternatives actually do it better for them than what they play now.

Incenjucar

Legend
If D&D went under, there would probably be an explosion of 3rd party material. It's not nearly as flexible as with 3rd edition, but you can still make money off it, and 4E leaves plenty of room, and has not only its own structure to work off of, but can easily take stuff from earlier editions.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Honestly, I wouldn't care.

I'd probably find out here on the boards, and I might post on it or read news stories out of interest, but it wouldn't affect me at all. My gaming product needs are fulfilled. The effects on the industry would probably be a significant bump to all the other companies, and various opportunistic businesses trying to find a way to catch all their customers (which, while not enough for Hasbro in this hypothetical scenario, are plenty enough to attract attention). Dragon Age would probably do great, as would PF and a number of other fantasy rpgs.

It might even be good for the hobby to distance itself from the name 'Dungeons and Dragons' which has brand recognition but also many negative connotations.

I suspect I'm not the only one who just doesn't care at this point.

Dice4Hire

First Post
It would be bad for RPGs in general, as for a lot of people, D&D is fantasy roleplaying, and if they read on the news it is dead, they might never find the other games, like Pathfinder, or C&C and more.

Gamers in the know will simply move on to new systems, and new companies will come in to fill in the gaps.

In short, I think it would lead to a decrease in the number of gamers, but more variety in what people play.

Remove ads