• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If I cook it on the reactor, is it fusion cuisine?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting. The fact that it's a major corporation like L-M does make a difference. There have been so many claims about this over the decades.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Of course, but even if it isn't something exotic, if I remember my physics right it's a whole lot easier to harvest a quantity of deuterium than it is of tritium.

It is - generally speaking, we don't harvest tritium. The stuff only has a half life of about 12 years, so we must work with recently created tritium.

It is created naturally in very small amounts by cosmic ray interaction with the upper atmosphere (it eventually falls as rain, and gets to the ocean), but he concentrations are very low.

Most tritium in use today is created by bombarding Lithium with neutrons in a fission reactor, or as a byproduct from reactors that use heavy water as coolant (deuterium bombarded with neutrons can become tritium).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Reality check:

- LM wouldn't straight-up lie about such a discovery, but they WOULD leverage it to gain investor (stock market) interest.

- I highly doubt that fusion would "save" us from problems, because the problems are in human decisions, not capabilities. We already have the technology for a green earth and to end world hunger. We're just not using it until it's profitable.

Remove ads