D&D General If I streamed myself opening a case of D&D miniatures, would you watch?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I plan on transferring the VoDs over to YouTube after I am done streaming. Some streams I save, some I don't. I feel unboxing a mini brick is one to save, just to help my growth.
Yeah, If nothing else, you'd get good practice for whatever future streaming projects you might take on.

Slit518

Adventurer
For those you folks whom may be interested -

Come, watch my birthday stream at 12:30pm EST, as I open a brick of Dungeons and Dragons miniatures!

Attachments

• Icdwind Dale brick Time.png
    Icdwind Dale brick Time.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

jgsugden

Legend
Live streaming - no. Not for a brick (8 boxes - which si different than a case - 32 boxes). That would b a lot of wasted time, and without editing you won't get to see the minis in detail/

There are already reviewers that do this with professional level camera work, close ups of the minis, etc... They do not do it live, and when they open it they don't do it live so that they can edit and improve quality.

Gallant Goblin, for example. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGallantGoblin

MinisGallery

Villager
Live streaming - no. Not for a brick (8 boxes - which si different than a case - 32 boxes). That would b a lot of wasted time, and without editing you won't get to see the minis in detail/

My first answer to whether you should take on the project is: if you would have fun doing it -- then why not.

However, if you want to attract a regular audience and may want to consider making it an income stream, then try to determine who your audience is and what they would be interested in (which is sort of the reason I think you made this post in the first place).

While I am uncertain if there is an audience for live streaming this sort of activity, if there is a way you can find to make it interesting (i.e. making it entertaining) then you might be able to attract a regular audience. As jgsugden mentioned, the majority of the people that do this (including myself) would not do it live as there is too much dead time in opening up packages.

I think it all depends on what your focus is. If your focus is to entertain, then spend more time preparing some material and researching the minis that you might be pulling so that you know how to pronounce most of them correctly and might be able to provide a little bit of info on the creature itself. If you are naturally charismatic and entertaining, you will likely pull people into the channel regardless of what your subject is.

On behalf of miniature aficionados, we greatly dislike people trying to hold up minis to a camera which is either so far away from the camera that you can't see the mini, or so close that you are mostly distracted with the shaking of their hand and their fingers concealing most of the details on the mini. Most of us that do mini previews use turntables to place the mini on so that people can see it. So at bare minimum what I would do with a live feed is use 2 cameras: 1 to show the unboxing, and 1 to show the close-up of a mini (on a split screen or smaller window in the corner) either in a well lit spot and/or on a turntable. (And of course use OBS to mesh the two screens together).

Regardless, do whatever you think you would have fun with -- if there is an audience for your format, you will find out in time.

For inspiration on unboxing videos, check out Gallant Goblin unboxing videos in the link above in the prior post -- however they do set a high production quality standard.

aco175

Legend
While not my cup of tea, I find myself watching some silly stuff. Heck, I watched some guy pill a nail out of a cow hoof. Not sure why or how that popped up, so while not that exciting someone will watch.

Dioltach

Legend
While not my cup of tea, I find myself watching some silly stuff. Heck, I watched some guy pill a nail out of a cow hoof. Not sure why or how that popped up, so while not that exciting someone will watch.
About six months ago my Youtube feed started recommending videos of cows hooves. Out of the blue. For weeks, every time I went on Youtube there they were, videos of cows hooves being trimmed or de-nailed or treated for other ailments.

Remove ads