D&D 5E If the DM forgets something about a boss, should the player remind him

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
OP, I would say yes you should remind the DM. As a DM when a player forgets an important detail that his character would not have forgotten, I remind that player. Fair is fair.

Yes. If you botice an obvious oversight, remind them. I do the same for my players.
But you need to be careful, only doing it for important things, otgerwise it could get annoying.

Personally having worked as a substitute teacher I associate the "I don't want to point out that the authority figure is not applying the rules right because we are benefiting" motive with immaturity, and it is not the behavior of people I want to run games for.

I appreciate when the other people at the table are supportive of me doing my job. Helping me catch mistakes, even when doing so goes against their immediate in-game interests, is one form that supportiveness can take. It also establishes that players credibility as something more than a weaselly rules lawyer when they point out a rule I missed that does happen to be to their benefit.

But, know your DM. Some will just get stressed out or irritated by being corrected. And even many who appreciate actual errors they make being pointed out will likely tire of having all the times they intentionally change something questioned as "mistakes".

fba827

Adventurer
I’d probably say something like ‘does this guy have legendary resistance? If so it might apply to that save you just rolled…’

that type of statement makes no assumptions on rules that may have been specific to the situation but gives a nonagressive reminder if the DM simply forgot amongst the myriad of things he/she had to remember in that moment

I mean at my table it goes both ways: the DM often reminds ‘hey did you want to take that reaction you usually take in these situations ….’

we are working together to play a game even if that game we’re playing is from opposite sides of a screen on the table.

all that said, my table social contract might be different than yours. You know your own dm and table, and so what would they want?
Better yet, now that the session is over, ASK YOUR DM what he/she would like in the future should such a situation come up again.

Remove ads