D&D 5E If the DM forgets something about a boss, should the player remind him

ECMO3

Hero
It depends. Would the DM remind the player of an ability they missed or forgot to use?

If so, then absolutely, the players should be good sports and remind them.

If not, then you are playing by rougher rules and it's every side for itself.
For a new player yes. For an experienced player like me probably not, because frankly I know a lot more about my character's abilities than he does.

As a DM one problem I have found is playing monsters to the best you can, particularly when they are complicated monsters with lots of options. I find I forget things often, I gameplan and it turns out my plans are not that good a way to fight them because of something I did not think about.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The example I have is the DM forgot about the Vampire's legendary resistance and failed a save, severely gimping him for the rest of the combat.

As a player should I have reminded him about legendary resistance?
If this is a monster you've used before as a DM so you're familiar with the mechanics, then yes. It's one way how you show that you're an honest player. If the DM changed the monster somehow, that's a different story.

Bolares

Hero
Well... do you want the other players to hate you? :p

I think it's cool to help the DM remember stuff. They already have a lot on their plate during combat

If you think the DM has genuinely forgotten something advantageous to the enemy you should generally remind the DM of that thing, just as when a DM thinks a player has forgotten something advantageous to their character they should remind them of it. Remember that compared to a player controlling their PC a DM is usually a newbie in the mechanics of any particular enemy. Victories won in a complicated game because someone else is shaky on rules or having a forgetful day are hollow.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For a new player yes. For an experienced player like me probably not, because frankly I know a lot more about my character's abilities than he does.

The question is asking not about your acumen, but about the relationship. However unlikely it may be, assume you did miss something - is the relationship with the DM such that they'd remind you?

Retreater

Legend
As a DM I'd appreciate it (though sometimes I choose to not use all a monster's abilities to give the party a fighting chance). I also remind my players of their abilities if I can think of it.

jgsugden

Legend
When I am a player, I remind the DM of things they may be forgetting based upon my knowledge of monsters, rules, etc... I forget things as a DM, and when I do and a player reminds me, I appreciate it. Reminders help us keep the game running as intended, and maintain the fiction better as a vampire is unlikely to forget they're resistant to magics....

I think this does go back to etiquette and how close you all are. Is it an advantage to not tell the DM? Yes. But if that were the case, especially if it was brought up post-session, I may shrug it off or get miffed, depending on the group or how things turned out.

I think a possible side question is: If you've ended your turn and forgot to take an action/do the damage from your Spirit Guardians etc, should the DM let you go back to get that action in? Obviously, if the DM lets you go back and take that action, it hurts the monsters just based on simple action economy most of the time.

Remove ads