• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WotC decided to revitalize and support AD&D, would you play/buy it?

Would you support and/or play an new WotC AD&D?

• Yes! I would purchase it and play it.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Sort of ! I would definitely buy it, but may or may not play it.

Votes: 27 13.1%
  • Sort of, redux! I wouldn't buy it, but I'd play it.

Votes: 22 10.7%
  • No! I would neither buy it nor play it.

Votes: 131 63.6%

Remathilis

Legend
I voted, but in all honesty the scenarios that could bring AD&D back into play are so varied, its hard to say...

If WotC released some form of collector's edition (a 1e or 2e complete set like the TSR Silver Collection) sure, I'd buy them because I'm a sucker collector.

If WotC put them on some electronic format (PDF, Kindle, iPad) I might consider it. I have all the books I need on PDF for now though, so some new release would have to "Wow" me.

Now, assuming the OSR movement is big enough to warrant diverting time, money and manpower from 4e (not likely, but lets say for argument it is). First, we'd have to establish what "base" we're aiming for. Purists don't need (or want) anything new. Retro gamers have a wealth of options already (BFRPG, LL, S&W, C&C) that only lack the D&D name. 3e players have Pathfinder and a million d20 variants. Anything like this project would have to compete with all of these.

Even if there was a niche among all these D&D variants, what would look like? Would it be based off 1e, 2e, OD&D, Basic, or some amalgam of each? Would it include new rules or merely a cleaned up presentation of older rules? Is compatibility with 1e/2e/4e an issue? Do we include post 2000 revisions (upwards AC, for example) or is that too "3e"? I bet the edition war on such a project would rage for years...

Ultimately, if WotC wants to jump into the "retro" market, do a collectors print run of one of the older editions (1e would be logical, as would Basic/Expert or OD&D 3-book) with WotC's logo covering TSRs and a new copyright date, and sell it as a collector's item. (WotC could probably do the same damn thing with a limited run of Unlimited or Revised M:TG). However, sinking resources in following the retro market is a fool's errand, let the small companies and PDF makers chase that market, WotC has D&D and thats worth more than enough, even in 4th edition...

Steel_Wind

Legend
No. Been there, done that.

For nostalgia factor, I might play or DM a one shot. But I have no interest in playing a whole campaign under those rules.

I was one of those large number of players who left 1st edition for other RPG systems for ... 16 or so years until 3.0 brought us back into the fold.

While it was great to come back - the reasons we left remain true to this day.

Hereticus

First Post
Editions AD&D through 3.Pathfinder are a completely different game from 4.0.

WotC had its chance to continue with 3.x, but abandoned it.

As I see it Pathfinder owns one game, and WotC the other. I will play both.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Between my current AD&D books plus what is out there in the form of Hackmaster, plus all the gaming developments & changes in personal taste...

I can't see myself buying much in the way of new AD&D product. It would have to be damn good or otherwise innovative & game changing...which would probably not be really AD&D product, then.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Been there done that. No matter what WoTC did internet haters would still be like, "WotC shot my dog! I will never buy another product from them again! Except map tiles. And dice. And... and... and..."

No, seroiusly. I can see it now. "Man, I don't like all this dungeon punk stuff."

"But it's Larry Elmore. Original art just for the series."

"He sold out man. He sold out."

Or other such similiar stylings.

Seriously, there are probably a dozen or more old school variants out there now... not to mention it's not that hard to find the 1st edition books anyway. If people want to play the old games, play away amigos. As long as you're enjoying the game and don't expect everyone else to suddenly realize that Thaco and % strength are for everyone.

Ourph

First Post
I own AD&D. I play AD&D. I have a whole slew of OSRIC products to choose from if I want new AD&D stuff.

As far as AD&D is concerned, I don't care what WotC does (but I do loves me some 4e, so, you know, keep going with that!).

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
No, I'm no longer interested in FRP stuff from Wizards.

Besides, the OSR crowd is producing some good stuff for those who want an AD&D fix....

Fight on!

grodog

Hero
Absolutely yes: while I wouldn't need to buy the products to run a 1e game at all, I'd certainly do so to show my support for the product line.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads