• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If WotC Released D&D 3.75 Tomorrow....

Gilladian

Adventurer
I play 3.5 (not pathfinder; E6 variant of 3.5). I would NOT buy a 3.75 from WOTC for the same reason I wouldn't switch to Pathfinder - I don't NEED it. I have a rule-set I like. I buy some Paizo adventures, and tweak them for my game. I subscribe to Dungeon A Day (great dungeon and fine smaller adventures, by the way), and while I'd love to have an online character creator/monster builder I don't REALLY need it. The web-based fan resources out there work well enough...

I'd buy it, read it over, and take it on a test drive.

I actually thought I was fully converted to pathfinder, but I'm actually on the cusp of restarting my Midnight Campaign in it's glorious 3e variant rules.

I think it might not fragment the base as much as people might think. If anything, I'd consider (assuming it was close enough to 3e and to pathfinder) buying and using supplements for any of these (3.0, 3.5, pathfinder, WotC 3.75).

I don't think it's necessarily a good idea based upon your original point (the sales of the 3.5 phb), though whether it may or may not be a good idea is not what I'm discussing right here. I think that the sales of 3.5 are due to people who are happy with it, want to use the materials they already own, and see no need to convert to, say, pathfinder.

So, in my opinion, while 3.75 from Wizards might not be a bad idea, I'd be surprised if the people who are currently buying the 3.5 books would be the primary market for it.

No, I wouldn't be, unless new material for this putative 3.75 were highly backwards compatible with 3.5.

One thing that the release of 4e reiterate to me very strongly, and cemented to me personally, was that new editions serve the needs of the supplier of D&D, not me as a customer of D&D. I realised that I do not have any appreciable demand for a new edition. This is especially true of a new edition like 4e, that went a number of directions from 3.5 that I didn't like. This was also true for Pathfinder, which already is, for all intents and purposes, a 3.75 which is fairly close to 3.5 in structure. I don't really have any need for either of them.

I could potentially buy a new edition if it just so happens to fix all my problems with 3.5 without introducing more problems (for me) as both Pathfinder and 4e have done. Given that WotC catering to me personally seems unlikely, like I said, this reiterated to me once again that I prefer to be a player of D&D, not a customer of D&D. I simply have no need for another edition. Ever, really.

Although, like I said also, if backwards compatibility is high, I could see myself buying cherry-picked supplements for it on topics that I'm interested in.

JeffB

Legend
In fact, I'd rather have a 5E, a mix of the good stuff from earlier editions.

This.

It's time for WOTC to stick a fork in it (both the 3.5 "legacy, as well as 4E), and move on to bigger and better things.

I'd have absolutely no interest whatsoever in yet another overly complex 3.x derivative game. However, a re-vamped streamlined "lighter" 3.x version without the need of software to make prep/character creation go smoothly would likely get me to buy in (ala PF's Beginner Box say with a "expert" level expansion product, and wealth of GOOD non railroad/adventure path style adventures).

IronWolf

blank
I am pretty solidly entrenched with Pathfinder for my 3.75 itch. So I don't think WotC releasing something for this niche would draw me away from Pathfinder. Paizo has set the bar pretty high for that niche in my opinion.

I have more interest in seeing what results from the work Monte is doing with WotC at the moment and seeing what they come up with from that effort.

Walking Dad

First Post

If WotC were to announce a revised version of the D&D 3.X architecture would you be interested?

Depends on the system. There were some pretty good fan stuff using Star Wars Saga as base for a fantasy game...

Not if they just try to re-do Pathfinder in making tweaks and changes but constrict themselves with backwards compatibility. That niche is already filled.

delericho

Legend
If WotC released 3.75e tomorrow (or ever, really), I would take this as a sign that they'd gone completely mad.

I would check it out, both in the reviews and (probably) by browsing through a copy at my FLGS, but I certainly wouldn't buy sight-unseen. Indeed, it would have to be spectacular for me to make that investment. The days of me buying new editions sight-unseen are now gone.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I'm already deeply invested in Pathfinder which actually allows me to (with some minor conversion work) use my 3.5 resources with minimal fuss.

A WOTC 3.75 can offer me NOTHING that I dont already have from available resources (Unearthed Arcana, Trailblazer, etc..). Online character monster builder? I have HeroLab, WOTC can keep their DDI rentware. They have nothing I want. PDF's of older material? I have the PDF's of all the older material that I want as well as some of the hard copies.

Outside of picking up Wrath of Ashardolon and the Castle Ravenloft Boardgames I havent given WOTC any money in quite some time and have no intentions on doing so anytime in the near future for anything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads