• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General If you could be any D&D species in real life…

Starfox

Hero
When we suffered a TPK back in the early eighties, our DM let us reincarnate our characters as basically any creature we want. The other players chose Titan and Kirin, I choose Doppelganger (and got to keep my class features). The combination of reading minds and taking any humanoid form is simply amazing to my mind, so I guess this is what I'd chose here too. Or Changeling, if I need to pick a PC race.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hard to narrow it down... Here are a few and why
  • Warforged no need to eat breathe or sleep and likely live for tens of thousands of years if not longer. Why yes I'd like to go for a stroll on Mars and watch or even help the meatbag colony get off the ground.
  • Humanoids and PC races are for chumps... Frickin dragon.. probably a blue dragon because lightning on demand can be captured and converted to useful energy for income. Don't forget flight and an incredible lifespan.
  • Doppelganger because I can choose any species with no other qualifiers. Under those conditions there isn't much reason to go for an imitation like changeling.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
…what would you be, and why?

Me? I’d be a halfling. I like their approach to family and community, their appreciation of creature comforts and sharing them, their nimbleness physically and mentally, and their rather peaceful outlook. Maybe it’s the Southerner in me, but it just resonates with me unlike any other D&D species or culture. Though I tend to play martial characters (fighters, barbarians, or rogues), in my real life, I’m a guy who tries to avoid conflict and make peace with people (see the history of my online handle). Halflings don’t seek conflict, but are resolute when it comes. They don’t build empires, either.
Also halfling. Little longer lifespan, good food, peace and comfort. And as Tolkien once said in "Concerning Hobbits", we both enjoy books full of things we already know.

If I could retire to the Shire, I would.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Let’s see…so many options.

Tarrasque. Go full Godzilla. It has its appeal. Check.

Dwarf. Bearded grumbly grump. Check.

Halfling. Hufflepuff who loves baked goods and cooking. Check.

Djinn. “Phenomenal cosmic power, itty bitty living space.” Granting wishes sounds fun. Check.

Dragon. Curl up around my hoard and sleep away a century. Check.

Dryad. Step into a tree and stay there, just hanging out. In a tree. Check.

Archfey. Bop out to the feywild for some Grimms’ Fairy Tales and Alice in Wonderland nonsense. Yes, please. Check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads