• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you find someone violating the Open Game License . . .

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
If someone found a Section 15 volation in one of our products I would very much appreciate a quick e-mail letting me know about it so we could rectify the situation immediately.

Paradigm

First Post
Depends upon what one means by "violation."

If it was a failure to properly cite another title, that is most likely an error, and if brought to the attention of the company in question, they can put out an acknowledgement.

If it were a PI violation, that would be a much bigger issue.

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Let me throw in with the "send an email" camp. I would certainly appreciate it if the mistake was found in one of our products, even if it was something that turns out not to be a mistake (say in the case of special permission).

I fully believe that the health of the OGL is the responsibility of both publishers and customers, and even if I am tired of being ignored and even sometimes getting polite (or not so polite) notes telling me to mind my own business, I will continue to do my part to ensure the OGL is followed. It has nothing to do with feeling maganimous, I just want the source that allows me to engage in my hobby/business to be respected.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Paradigm said:
Depends upon what one means by "violation."

If it was a failure to properly cite another title, that is most likely an error, and if brought to the attention of the company in question, they can put out an acknowledgement.

If it were a PI violation, that would be a much bigger issue.
A violation is a violation, even if it is an error. How you proceed to take action toward the violator is your own prerogative.

BrotherD

First Post
Thanks for the input; I appreciate it.

The violation I stumbled across is that the publisher is using the d20 logo on a product that basically reprints spells from the SRD without including the actual Open Game License anywhere in the product. As I understood the OGL, a publisher MUST include the License itself in the product somewhere. Am I off-base on that?

Ranger REG

Explorer
BrotherD said:
Thanks for the input; I appreciate it.

The violation I stumbled across is that the publisher is using the d20 logo on a product that basically reprints spells from the SRD without including the actual Open Game License anywhere in the product. As I understood the OGL, a publisher MUST include the License itself in the product somewhere. Am I off-base on that?
You're spot on. Any OGC from the SRD being reprinted in a third-party game product must include an OGL. Failure to do so and WotC could sue them under standard copyright law violation (infringement).

It is also a common mistake on the part of the publisher. Once he's notified by WotC of a violation he or she has 30 days to correct it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Just be sure you check the entire book before you conclude there's no OGL. While most companies put the OGL on the back page, sometimes (such as in Goodman's DCCs) the OGL is on an interior page - sometimes even 1/2 an interior page near the book's center.

Bardsandsages

First Post
I would want someone to alert me if they noticed an issue with our Section 15. Though we really don't use a lot of stuff from other publishers, on the rare occassion that we do I try to insure we give credit where credit is due.

I firmly agree with those who think it should be everyone's business to pay attention to violations. Yes, they are widespread. But they are widespread because the majority of people don't argue it. Most people unfortunately go with the "as long as it isn't my stuff being pirated it's not my business" mentality.

It's like SPAM, folks. Everybody complains about it, but how many people actually report it to the ISPs and the FTC? I'm not saying I go through my junk folder and report all 100 spam e-mails I get every day, but the phishing ones that try to mimic PayPal and Ebay and such I do, and I have actually been contacted for further information by several agencies in the past for more information. Sure, I can say "It's PayPal's problem" not mine. But it is my problem as a concerned citizen, because the next person to have their identity stolen from the scam could be a friend or family member.

So yes, I think that if you notice a violation, it is a good practice to alert the publisher. I think most publishers are honest and will make the correction if they are alerted to it.And if you come across a publisher who consistently and deliberately disregards the OGL, then alerting the affected parties would be a good practice as well. You have no legal obligation to do so, but if someone stole your stuff you would want someone to alert you to it, I suspect.

Remove ads