• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you like Dwarven Forge, check THIS out!

pogre

Legend
Mark said:

...unnecessary...?

Yeah, it was more of a snipe. It was good natured but could be read either way. I was teasing him about reading the thread before posting. Upon review I could see his post could have been made even after reading all of the posts.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
MythosaAkira said:

Originally posted by arcady
Mystic Modular however will sell single pieces.
Dwarven Forge does as well.
What I meant by that was that Mystic sells the very basic pieces individually: square floor pieces and plain walls. Dwarven Forge only sells fancy pieces individually. If they sell the basic ones I didn't find the URL to it (and so would appreciate getting it). ;)

Overall Dwarven Forge is actually the cheaper priced company.

blueshade

First Post
Use HA Blocks

Even if you don't have the time now to build anything... I think everyone should buy some molds from HirstArts. My husband and I not only make our own dungeons but we other things for our games as well. Not to forget we also made Christmas presents using the blocks last year and will probably do it again this year cause they were such a hit. This stagecoach is what I recently built for our campaign.

Attachments

• stagecoach 7-31-03 (2).jpg
    stagecoach 7-31-03 (2).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 755

MythosaAkira

Explorer
arcady said:
What I meant by that was that Mystic sells the very basic pieces individually: square floor pieces and plain walls. Dwarven Forge only sells fancy pieces individually. If they sell the basic ones I didn't find the URL to it (and so would appreciate getting it). ;)

Ah. DF does sell some "non-fancy" pieces individually (like the T-intersection), but you're right - the most basic pieces come in small sets (the right-angle corner, for instance, is in sets of 4 each).

Looks like Mystic isn't selling the individual regular floors, walls, or corner anymore, though.

For those interested:

Mystic's individual pieces site: link

DF's individual pieces site: link

Mach2.5

First Post
Using the Hirst Arts molds isn't really all that difficult. Painting in high detail can be a bit tricky, but its not like you need a ton of detail in your designs. Plus, once you buy the molds, you can make dozens and dozens of the kind of blocks that Mystic is selling. Granted, I've done a good amount of work with molds already so perhaps I'm biased, but they're really quite simple. If you can make pancake batter, you can mix your cement for the molds. If you really want to get spiffy spend around 80 u.s. bucks and get a small air compressor and air brush.

So, for around 200 bucks total (a few basic Hirst molds, air compressor and air brush, paints, choice of cement type) you can start to make your own floor plans and dungeon desings, as well as castles, ruins, etc. Or better yet, get all this and start your own business selling the pieces that you design . . . hmmmm . . . *lightbulb begins to flicker*

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Hirst Arts

I've had my molds from Hirst Arts for a while now. I'm finally getting around to using them though. Darn RL.

Anyway I've started designing my own modular dungeon peices. Right now I've built two 20' hallways, two 10' hallways and two archways. I'm working on a decorative corner peice right now. Once I get a few more peices done I'll see about taking some pictures if anyone is interested. None of the peices are painted yet, but that could be good to see how they are put tegether before painting hides some of the details.

I'm by no means a master crafter, but I'm quite pleased with the way they are turning out.

Ahrimon

ThomasBJJ

First Post
Looks like Mystic isn't selling the individual regular floors, walls, or corner anymore, though.

I emailed and asked about getting some of the basic floors, walls, and corners. They said they might be able to do some more. I send him a list of what I want, so we'll see if they will do it.

ALSO....

I just got my first order from Mystic Blocks. They are GREAT! and for the price, man, you can't go wrong.
They are totally compatible with dwarven forge. The slight difference in paint jobs actually is VERY NICE. Makes the new rooms stand out. It seems to me that the pieces fit together very well (some DF stuff you end up with gaps and uneven edges).
My favorite thing about them is that they don't have the "bowtie" connector indentations. They fit together nice and smooth and almost seamlessly.
My only complaint/caution (which is very minor) is that a couple of the pieces - namely the Altar and the Arched doorway - the backside is not stone-looking. It is flat and smooth. The Archway is at least drybrushed to look similar, but the brick-like features are not there on the backside. The Altar's backside is the same as the bottom - black, smooth and unpainted. It would have been nice if these pieces were "done" all the way around, but it does not take away from their usefullness much at all, and I suppose would facilitate a smooth "back-to-back" set up with a second piece.

Overall, this stuff is great! I highly reccomend (did I spell that right?) Mystic Blocks. I will definitely be ordering more from them.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
ThomasBJJ said:
My favorite thing about them is that they don't have the "bowtie" connector indentations. They fit together nice and smooth and almost seamlessly.

That's the biggest thing I hate about the MasterMaze pieces. Well, that and the price ;)

ThomasBJJ said:
My only complaint/caution (which is very minor) is that a couple of the pieces - namely the Altar and the Arched doorway - the backside is not stone-looking. It is flat and smooth. The Archway is at least drybrushed to look similar, but the brick-like features are not there on the backside.

Thanks for letting us know. I was looking at the Archway myself, but if it's "incomplete", I think I'll pass. I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to that sort of thing. Grendel had (has?) some pieces like that; I remember purchasing some ruined cathedral walls and then discovering they were only complete on one side.

Remove ads