• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you like Dwarven Forge, check THIS out!

ThomasBJJ

First Post
For those of you who like Dwarven Forge Master Maze pieces, check out the Mystic Blocks site here:

http://home.comcast.net/~drakedavis1/index.htm

These look great, and they seem to be MUCH cheaper than DF stuff.

I ordered a couple of pieces just to check them out. If they are any good, I think I will be getting several more. I'll let you guys know how they look when I get them.

Anyone else buy from them in the past?

Thomas

pogre

Legend
Nope - I have not bought anything from them, but why not go to the source and build some yourself?

edit: whoa, I spoke to soon this guy's prices are pretty dang reasonable! Let me know how his service is.

Last edited:

ThomasBJJ

First Post
I would love to build some myself, but dont have the time to learn to do it right. As is, I barely have time to paint my miniatures.

Actually, my renewed interest in Dwarven Forge type stuff is due to your story hour pogre. It has inspired me to try to use all my DF stuff that has been collecting dust a little more often, and hopefully in the near future, post a picture/story hour campaign thread of my own.

pogre

Legend
ThomasBJJ said:
I would love to build some myself, but dont have the time to learn to do it right. As is, I barely have time to paint my miniatures.

Man, I know the feeling. We started school again and it's like these people expect me to work or something!;)

ThomasBJJ said:
Actually, my renewed interest in Dwarven Forge type stuff is due to your story hour pogre. It has inspired me to try to use all my DF stuff that has been collecting dust a little more often, and hopefully in the near future, post a picture/story hour campaign thread of my own. [/B]

Ho! That would be awesome! I will be watching closely for it!

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I went with the most basic set from each maker.

Dwarven Forge Room Set: 29 room pieces with 2 doors for $60 ($2.06-ea, $1.93-ea if you count the doors)

Mystic Modular Roots Corridors and StairwayRoots and Mushrooms: 25 pieces for $60 ($2.40-ea)

Mystic Modular however will sell single pieces.

Last edited:

ThomasBJJ

First Post
So, does the mystic blocks stuff pretty much fit well with the Dwarven Forge stuff. I guess that's a relative question, cuz the DF stuff doesn't always fit together nicely.

BTW, the "Advanced builder's set" is awesome. It addressed alot of my issues with building with DF. Now, if only they could make some more self contained rooms (like the ogre's den). It's would be nice to have some single piece 10' x 10' rooms with a doorway, some 20' x 20' rooms, 30' x 30' etc. It's still too slow to use it in the middle of the game.

MythosaAkira

Explorer
arcady said:
Mystic Modular however will sell single pieces.

Dwarven Forge does as well.

Mystic has some cool-looking pieces. I'd try a couple (to see how well they complement my existing DF collection), but the shipping cost for a piece or two is too high for me.

pogre

Legend
Yes, the hirstarts molds fit well with the DF I use it all the time. I have made some ready to go rooms for just the reasons you point out.

DF is not too bad to use in game if you have it close at hand and convenient - getting it out of the box everytime is too slow. Try having a card table near your gaming table with the pieces sorted. Describe the room's dimensions quickly and let your players set it up initially.

Example
DM: OK guys give me a 30' North by 20' east room you're coming in on the west.

Reads room description then makes corrections to the room as necessary - usually moving a tile or two.

Places miniatures and you're off and running.

Once you get the routine down it is quicker than drawing on a battle mat.

edit: removed unnecessary teasing at Crothian.

Last edited:

Remove ads