How Do You Decide What RPGs to Buy?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Just repeat what folks have already said;
  • Like the genre, setting, flavor, etc...
  • Seen a quick start freebie
  • Talk to folks online in places like EN World
  • Check out some yourtube vids

Kickstarters often get me the most. I see a nice starter package and im just in. I have Blade Runner to get to the table yet and just received Cowboy Bebop. I'll probably only get these to the table a few times (if any) but I dont regret buying them. Another reason I have been pulling the trigger more is that my disposable income is pretty nice these days. Dont have that penny pinching hold back anymore.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
If it is a pdf, the seats are cheap because I usually use account credit on dtrpg, there is a joke that we designers are simply passing around the same $5 to each other. Often the ones that I am buying are because I know the author and want to support them, or are a big deal and I want to read it to see what it is about.

Sparkle_cz

Explorer
I already have all the gaming supplements that I need for my own games, so I don't need to buy new RPG stuff. So, when I decide to support a RPG project, it is because I feel it needs my money. That means for example small and very niche authors from small countries that are talented and struggle with budget.
Or games that are meaningful and can help someone but they are not very marketable.
Or an author that was harassed or wronged by someone, just to show him support and give him courage to create more stuff.

Retreater

Legend
That's awesome when people don't feel the need to buy new RPG stuff. I'd certainly save a lot of money, space (for storage), and time (spent researching) if I were in the same boat.
I feel compelled to keep searching for the right system. Of course, there's not a perfect system for every situation, but I'm trying to find a "good enough" system for what my group wants to play and I want to run. It's certainly a goldilocks situation. I've wasted a lot of resources in this pursuit.
For dungeon crawler board games I found it (HeroQuest). After going through probably a dozen similar board games, I'm good. That's it. It's the end. No more editions of Gloomhaven, Descent, Doom, Zombicide, Altar Quest, Massive Darkness, D&D Boardgames, etc. So I know that conceptionally the right RPG exists out there.

aramis erak

Legend
I realized a long time ago that there is no one singular "right system"... every one is limited in its applicability.

So what I'm looking for is that it has a clear vision, is reputed to have rules supporting that vision, and the preview material is consistent with both.

Further, that vision needs to be appealing to me.

The One RIng 1E was a game that had a clear vision, and rules that supported it. 2E claims the same vision, and I can see why Cubical 7 said "Hell No!" I liked 1E, and it was a bit late to get a refund once I realized how much I disliked the 2nd ed.

Retreater

Legend
I never buy an RPG unless I know I have a group interested in playing it.
That's a great idea, but I don't know if the approach would work for me.
What if a group becomes interested in playing a game that I later discover I don't like?
How do I teach a group how to play it without first studying it and bringing it to them?
How do I prepare a first session without knowledge of the rules?

Is this the chain of events?
1) Get the group interested
2) Buy the book(s)
3) Read and study the system
4) Design the first session
5) Teach the players
6) Hope the players haven't lost interest since Event 1

mamba

Legend
Is this the chain of events?
1) Get the group interested
2) Buy the book(s)
3) Read and study the system
4) Design the first session
5) Teach the players
6) Hope the players haven't lost interest since Event 1
I’d reverse 1 and 2, I need to like the game and be interested in running it first, otherwise I just made everyone curious for nothing, or worse have to run it without wanting to

A free quickstart makes the whole thing easier

Retreater

Legend
A free quickstart makes the whole thing easier
Yes, but it doesn't usually have character creation or show how to design encounters, which are two big issues for many groups.
I've seen excellent quickstarts (and starter sets) that go along with games that are incredibly convoluted (RuneQuest), are streamlined to the point of not showing you the actual system (Starfinder).

Typically I don't do a lot of research before I buy something - either I have stumbled upon it before (reviews, videos, people mentioning the game in conversations) or the pitch is good (crowdfunding stuff).
And then purchases mainly fall into four buckets:
1) I kind of wanted it for a while, it's cheap (mostly bundles on BoH/HB) and I think I might get some use out of it for hacking my own stuff
2) I like it and it's a small publisher/individual creator and I want to support them (mostly Kickstarter)
3) It's supplementary material or part of an ongoing campaign for a system I like (mostly crowdfundings or pre-orders)
4) It sounds exciting, I don't have too many games for the respective genre, and at the time of purchasing, I feel like playing or at least reading it (this is the only category where I sometimes also buy stuff from a store)

Remove ads