If You Need a Cane, Buy One of These

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Tactical” is a common marketing phrase that means it is designed with combat (usually melee) in mind. It’s usually appended to otherwise mundane devices that have a primary purpose other than combat. So you have tactical canes and pens, as mentioned, but also flashlights, keychains and even articles of clothing, like gloves, vests, hoodies and coats. I’ve even seen shoelaces that imply they’re combat-capable.

For people in certain lines of work, or who live in fear (for legitimate of irrational reasons), they’re a way to be armed & protected without being immediately obviously so.

R_J_K75

Legend
“Tactical” is a common marketing phrase that means it is designed with combat (usually melee) in mind.
When I saw the term tactical, I took it to mean that these were made to be more durable than the average off the shelf item, didn't give it much more thought until it was mentioned upthread earlier. Seems the term military or tactical can be thrown on just about anything these days. I bought a Levi's denim jacket which was called "Military". It was nothing more than a lightweight denim jacket with a thin lining on the inside and doesn't seem like anything the military would issue. Then again, we used to wear the paper-thin green John Rambo army jackets from the Army Surplus stores. We almost froze to death in the dead of winter trying to find a buyer, but hey we looked cool doing it.

Ryujin

Legend
When I saw the term tactical, I took it to mean that these were made to be more durable than the average off the shelf item, didn't give it much more thought until it was mentioned upthread earlier. Seems the term military or tactical can be thrown on just about anything these days. I bought a Levi's denim jacket which was called "Military". It was nothing more than a lightweight denim jacket with a thin lining on the inside and doesn't seem like anything the military would issue. Then again, we used to wear the paper-thin green John Rambo army jackets from the Army Surplus stores. We almost froze to death in the dead of winter trying to find a buyer, but hey we looked cool doing it.
Back in high school more than half my wardrobe came form a surplus store but it wasn't because I was being fashionable. It was because I was poor. Then people started thinking it was fashionable, prices went up, and I couldn't even afford that anymore ;)

R_J_K75

Legend
Then people started thinking it was fashionable, prices went up, and I couldn't even afford that anymore
Reminds me of an article I read or saw an interview on TV in the early 90s when bands from Seattle started becoming popular. The interviewer asked why people dressed in flannel, long johns, etc and if they were trying to make a fashion statement, the reply was no, its Seattle where its rainy, damp and cold 364 days a year. Next thing you know flannels are selling for $150 at the mall, the same flannels you could buy at K-Mart for $8.

Ryujin

Legend
Reminds me of an article I read or saw an interview on TV in the early 90s when bands from Seattle started becoming popular. The interviewer asked why people dressed in flannel, long johns, etc and if they were trying to make a fashion statement, the reply was no, its Seattle where its rainy, damp and cold 364 days a year. Next thing you know flannels are selling for $150 at the mall, the same flannels you could buy at K-Mart for $8.
Yup, same thing. In my case it was the people who were making fun of me for wearing a Bush Jacket who, the very next year, were pricing me out.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Let's be honest, one of the appeals of these sorts of canes has always been to make elderly folk appear a bit less vulnerable. Old dude's carrying a big metal one...maybe you pick the next geezer to rob.

My dad used to carry one in the 80s in a big city, and he wasn't elderly at the time. (And he was never in a fight.)

R_J_K75

Legend
Had to hit it with some friction tape. I hope I have a -0.0000999 batting ratio this season,,,,
IMG_2867.jpg

R_J_K75

Legend
The last time I had to wrap a handle of ANYTHING was back in the 1990s. Back then, I used adhesives to attach either cloth or suede/leather.

Looked good, felt good.
This is called Friction tape, what hockey pkayers put in the blade and butt of heir stick. Works wonders

Remove ads