If you were to play a card-based RPG, would you want it to also have dice?

Dice in a card-based RPG?

• Yes

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Depends on the specifics

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Poll closed .

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I selected no, thinking of games like GRIM. But Mongoose's Paranoia works some neat card mechanics into the game, in which most of the game is resolved using dice, in the release they Kickstarted a few years back. I enjoyed it. But apparently many fans didn't, which Mongoose specifically pointed out in the new version they are now running on Kickstarter, which removes the cards. So, apparently, many players don't like to mike card chocolate in their dice peanut butter.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I prefer one tool or the other. Not because using them both is evil or anything, I’m just more comfortable not having to change gears in play.

Staffan

Legend
But even better are cards that do other things. Sure, those might be able to be put on a chart and determined with randomizers, but cards quicken that at the least, and enhance it when used in card-type ways.
TORG Eternity uses three different decks of cards in three different ways.

The first and easiest to discuss is the Drama deck, which handles encounter flow. When in combat or other encounter mode, the GM draws and reveals a card from the Drama deck at the start of each round. This card determines whether the Heroes or Villains have initiative this round as well as any effects on either side. An encounter scene can be either Standard or Dramatic – in a Standard scene these things are weighted to favor the Heroes and in a Dramatic scene the Villains. Each card also has a section for Dramatic Skill Resolution, which is a mechanic used to handle multi-stage problems as well as chases. There's also one or more Approved Actions, which determine which actions will let a player draw more Destiny cards (see below). Finally, each card of course has an appropriate title like "We got them on the run!" or "I have you now!"

The second is the Cosm deck – or technically, cosm decks. TORG is a multigenre game where each genre has its own cosm deck that reinforces that genre. When played, they generally have some moderate positive effect or a negative effect which also gives players Possibilities (a metacurrency which can be used to improve rolls or reduce damage). For example, in the Living Land (stone age tech, dense jungles and other difficult environments, high levels of spirituality, covered in dense mist) you might have The Law of Life which lets you find a place to rest and recover, or The Deep Mist which makes the party get lost and take much longer to reach their destination but gives them 1-3 possibilities each depending on how much trouble that causes. In each act, each player gets one Cosm card, which can be played at any time. Should you switch Cosms during play, any unplayed Cosm cards are swapped for cards from the new Cosm.

The third and final is the Destiny Deck. Destiny cards are generally unequivocal bonuses. Some give a general bonus to doing things, some give a bonus to doing certain types of things, some give you rerolls, etc. There are also some that are more "special" like Idea which gets you a hint from the GM, or Nemesis which turns an NPC into a nemesis who has it out for you in particular. There are also a bunch that deal with the deck itself like Rally which lets the PCs discard as many cards as they want and refill, or Seize Initiative which either lets you keep the current initiative card for one more round or lets you flip over a new one if you're not happy with the one that's been drawn. Out of combat/encounter mode these can be played freely from your hand, but in combat you must put them in your "pool" in front of you first, and you can only put one card into your pool per round. The effect of this is that a fight often seems to have the odds arrayed against the Heroes, but with some bravery and derring-do (read: clever card-play once there are enough cards to do fun things with) the Heroes can turn the tide and win the day.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
TORG Eternity uses three different decks of cards in three different ways.
Nifty. I remember TORG from it's first incarnation back in 1990, and it's card use was one of the inspirations. I haven't taken a look at TORG Eternity, it seems they have built out the idea even more.

Staffan

Legend
Nifty. I remember TORG from it's first incarnation back in 1990, and it's card use was one of the inspirations. I haven't taken a look at TORG Eternity, it seems they have built out the idea even more.
They sure did. The main thing was that in OG TORG, there was no Destiny or Cosm deck, only the Drama deck which served both as initiative randomizer and metacurrency.

Original Drama card:
1674508769023.png

TORG Eternity Drama and Destiny cards:
1674508927452.png
1674508985537.png

And many of the things the Cosm deck does were additional procedures for playing in those cosms or left as GMing advice. For example, in the Living Land there were rules both for navigating through the mist and for the rapid decay of "dead things". In TORG: Eternity, those things are controlled by the players via Cosm Cards.

aramis erak

Legend
Are the cards a randomizing agent, or do they represent meta-currency to be managed?
Torg 1E. the drama deck is both.
I can't speak to 2E, since I haven't read it yet.

In 1E, each card has 3 sections: initiative, skill challenge, and special benefit.
Good RP, or certain other actions, you get a card to hand, to use later.
Combat initiative lists who has initiative (players or NPCs), and some have a specific action for which you get to draw from the deck if you use that action.
The skill challenge section has one or more of 4 letters. If a step you can do is on the card, you may do it that round. Whether A has to come before B, before C, and D or not is a GM call in most cases...
The special benefits have bonuses to a specific action type. ISTR being able to use them in place of possibilities, too, but I can't get to my set to check.

The same card deck, but with extra wilds, was used for Masterbook and for Shatterzone.

Action success/failure is 1d20 on a result table, which gives a modifier to the skill's value. 10 or 20 are open end. Shatterzone and Masterbook use 2d10 instead. each die showing a 10 open ends...

The Drama Deck is quite fun in these games. The skill challenge line is particularly interesting in terms of texturing skill challenges. That is, unless you need an A and the deck flips nothing but B....

Remove ads