If you're a WOIN Kickstarter backer, check your email....

AG

First Post
Will the core rules contain the section (from the playtest) on building your own systems from scratch? I noticed that the Construction Guide only has the pre-built samples listed.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Will the core rules contain the section (from the playtest) on building your own systems from scratch? I noticed that the Construction Guide only has the pre-built samples listed.

That'll probably be a separate web enhancement. Space is at a premium!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Are the systems significantly different from the earlier playtest versions? If not, I can always use that.

Tweaks. Off the top of my head, weapon ranges are much lower. And I I have a bunch of Star Wars and Star Trek converted stuff I probably can't share, but were useful inspiration.

As a rough guide, halve the weapon ranges. And ... did the earlier ones have CPU requirements in them? I don't recall!

The important thing is that they are GM world building tools, so you don't have to do what it tells you. If you need a special weapon that does tons of damage at long range, less damage at short range, and has no CPU usage, then just write it.

Last edited:

AG

First Post
It seems like the most efficient way to transport colonists to a new world is to load a transport with lots of (reusable) cryogenic pods (wt 500). How many can you fit per CU? Working on a starship design and I'm trying to be realistic about how many colonists I can transport per trip.

My reason for asking is that I don't see a CU to tonnage conversion anywhere; CU equates to bulk (10x10x10) rather than weight (which makes sense in space), but without dimensions for the cargo you might be carrying, it's hard to know what will fit in the available CU.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It seems like the most efficient way to transport colonists to a new world is to load a transport with lots of (reusable) cryogenic pods (wt 500). How many can you fit per CU? Working on a starship design and I'm trying to be realistic about how many colonists I can transport per trip.

My reason for asking is that I don't see a CU to tonnage conversion anywhere; CU equates to bulk (10x10x10) rather than weight (which makes sense in space), but without dimensions for the cargo you might be carrying, it's hard to know what will fit in the available CU.

There isn't a direct CU to weight conversion, for the reasons you mention. The system does use 50 tons per CU to determine overall cargo capacity, but that does not accommodate bulk and shouldn't be used to assume the weight of any 1 CU object.

So, realistically, looking at the various facilities, I'd say that 1 CU per cyro unit seems fair. It won't weigh 50 tons of course, but it'll take up about 10' along with supporting infrastructure, power, medical monitoring equipment etc. (which won't necessarily be right next to the cryo unit, but still counts). You could easily outfit a mid-sized cargo ship to carry a few thousand cryo chambers.

I'll get those added to the Starship Builder, I think.

The one on the general equipment list isn't intended for long term travel. It's more a temporary medical item for emergencies - say if you need to cure a disease, but need to out the patient into stasis so he doesn't die before you can. Ones for travel would be larger and heavier.

Last edited:

Remove ads