IG's "Those Left Behind" [OOC-2]

Leif

Adventurer
I had not considered the Rapier. Is that a superior weapon? I guess I'm really just trying to make the 4e version as true to the 3.5 version as possible. I'm willing to take a suboptimal build to keep him true. I think with that Tunnel Stalker feat and a weapon feat I can use the axe and be happy.

How's the Cleric coming? I'm playing a 4e cleric in Voda Vosa's game. They kick ass.
Yeah, it's a superior weapon at the bottom of p. 218.

Speaking of the cleric, AHEM, I have a question for IG: I know that the idea is to make these characters 4E versions of our 3.5 characters, but is there even a chance that I could make Uulark as a Deva (PH2), since we didn't have that racial option in 3.5? I'm thinking a Deva Devoted Cleric.

jkason

First Post
So, I took the plunge and got the month of DDI. The compendium is far from the ideal way to learn the game, but since I managed to get the builder installed at work (I'd thought it was a webapp. Sadly, no, and doesn't run on macs, so I can't use it at home :( ) I think I have at least a rudimentary understanding.

Anyway, I'm sure it's probably a mess, but here's my first shot at Shai and Dys. Animal companions seem a whole lot tougher in 4e, though I suppose that's because they come at the expense of combat style for Rangers.

I tried to keep a basic concept in mind: Shai's an instinctive fighter influenced by the touch of nature--primarily through his bond with Dyspeer, though of late he's discovered the beast within himself, as well.

So, mostly focused on beast and beast form powers, almost all melee-oriented, with a few nature tricks thrown in. Summoning seemed in keeping with his past and his beasty leanings, and the current lightning storm made picking at least one elemental power seem right. Rather than keep stepping on Talashia's toes, though, I let the Frostwolf pelt item inspire me to go for a cold attack rather than electricity.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I still only have the vaguest idea what I'm doing, and I've never been especially good at not managing to work at cross-purposes with my build choices. ;)

jason

View attachment ShaiFirstPass.pdf

industrygothica

Adventurer
Yeah, it's a superior weapon at the bottom of p. 218.

Speaking of the cleric, AHEM, I have a question for IG: I know that the idea is to make these characters 4E versions of our 3.5 characters, but is there even a chance that I could make Uulark as a Deva (PH2), since we didn't have that racial option in 3.5? I'm thinking a Deva Devoted Cleric.

Umm, no.

So, I took the plunge and got the month of DDI. The compendium is far from the ideal way to learn the game, but since I managed to get the builder installed at work (I'd thought it was a webapp. Sadly, no, and doesn't run on macs, so I can't use it at home :( ) I think I have at least a rudimentary understanding.

Anyway, I'm sure it's probably a mess, but here's my first shot at Shai and Dys. Animal companions seem a whole lot tougher in 4e, though I suppose that's because they come at the expense of combat style for Rangers.

I tried to keep a basic concept in mind: Shai's an instinctive fighter influenced by the touch of nature--primarily through his bond with Dyspeer, though of late he's discovered the beast within himself, as well.

So, mostly focused on beast and beast form powers, almost all melee-oriented, with a few nature tricks thrown in. Summoning seemed in keeping with his past and his beasty leanings, and the current lightning storm made picking at least one elemental power seem right. Rather than keep stepping on Talashia's toes, though, I let the Frostwolf pelt item inspire me to go for a cold attack rather than electricity.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. I still only have the vaguest idea what I'm doing, and I've never been especially good at not managing to work at cross-purposes with my build choices. ;)

jason

View attachment 42704

After only a cursory glance, Shai looks god to me. You've got the wild shape, and you've got Dyspeer... those are pretty much the key elements that make Shai Shai.

Honestly, I probably won't give it too thorough of a look. As long as it says "legal" in the builder and you haven't obtained too much equipment, I'm happy.

-IG

Leif

Adventurer
Leif said:

So does that mean that I'm limited to human?

renau1g

First Post

jason

View attachment 42704

One thing I noticed is your magic items are too low (you're short-changing yourself). At level 11 you get a level 12 item, a level 11 item and a level 10 plus gold = to a level 10 item.

You could grab a +3 weapon a +3 armor and still have a level 10 item + level 10 gold

Leif

Adventurer
You're limited to whatever race Uulark is now. I've always assumed that to be human, but granted, I don't recall ever looking specifically. At least not recently.

So, in a nutshell, yes. ;)
-IG
He is, indeed, human. Ok, well, I had a hankering to try something different with the plethora of new options available in 4E, but, if 'tis not to be then 'tis not to be. *sigh* I still intend to re-make Uulark somewhat to take advantage of 4E options, though, if that will be ok? Like for instance, one of the tricks that I have learned is to use a feat to take Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword). Will that be permissible?

jkason

First Post
One thing I noticed is your magic items are too low (you're short-changing yourself). At level 11 you get a level 12 item, a level 11 item and a level 10 plus gold = to a level 10 item.

You could grab a +3 weapon a +3 armor and still have a level 10 item + level 10 gold

The only thing I saw in the CB for figuring out equipment was the 'make level appropriate' button for my money, which came out to 5000gp. So, In addition to that I could get three upper level magic items? Am I then limited on buying magic items other than those three with the money?

Actually, while I'm expressing confusion, I still haven't figured out why Shai's STR attacks are so much higher than his WIS attacks. STR is +5 and WIS is +4; He currently has a +2 Warhammer and a +1 Totem. So the difference in those bonuses is only 2, but the actual attacks are 14 for STR and 10 for WIS. There's another +2 bonus coming from ... 'prop'?

thanks,

jason

renau1g

First Post
The only thing I saw in the CB for figuring out equipment was the 'make level appropriate' button for my money, which came out to 5000gp. So, In addition to that I could get three upper level magic items? Am I then limited on buying magic items other than those three with the money?

Actually, while I'm expressing confusion, I still haven't figured out why Shai's STR attacks are so much higher than his WIS attacks. STR is +5 and WIS is +4; He currently has a +2 Warhammer and a +1 Totem. So the difference in those bonuses is only 2, but the actual attacks are 14 for STR and 10 for WIS. There's another +2 bonus coming from ... 'prop'?

thanks,

jason

Magic items - yes, you get 5k gold + the three higher level magic items. So you get the three magic items and can spend the 5k on other items

Re: Wis/Str - the Str based attacks benefit from the +2 prof. bonus from your weapon. Weapons target AC, which is typically higher than non-AC defenses, which Wis attacks target.

All Weapons have a proficiency bonus (+2 or +3 depending on the weapon). Implements don't.

Shayuri

First Post
I have answers!

The PHB outlines the guidelines for starting above 1st level. You get 3 magic items which are not purchased with money in the character builder. You use the Add button to select them. These items are limited by relative level, not by cash. Specifically you get an item that's one level over your character's...an item of the same level...and item one level lower.

Then you get cash in gold pieces equal to the purchase price of an item one level lower than yours. You can use that money on lower level items...on rituals and alchemical formulae...on whatever you want.

The reason your weapon attacks have a higher bonus is because weapons have a Proficiency bonus (it says 'prof' I suspect, not 'prop') that mathematically "corrects" the fact that weapons typically target AC, which is a few points higher, in general, than the defenses targeted by your Wisdom attacks. In short:

Weapon attack bonus = 1/2 level + relevant attribute + proficiency + enhancement + any relevant item/feat/circmstance mods.

Your wisdom attacks are Implement-based and the formula goes like this:

Implement attack bonus = 1/2 level + relevant attribute + enhancement (from magic implement) + any relevant item/feat/circumstance mods.

Remove ads