Illithid Psionics Conversion Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krishnath

First Post
Neothelids are fun, especially after a trip to the far realm, where they have picked up the Psudonatural template :D

Gish Makai

First Post
BOZ said:
i do have the psionics handbook. i keep it mostly as a reference work. i never have, and possibly never, actually psionics it in a game. i've never fully grasped the concept (which is why i'm having problems), but i keep trying all the same. :)

ok, here's what i'm going to do. when i get home, i'm going to try to do some cross-over conversions of the psionic powers, and post them if i get far enough along. those of you who are more familiar with psionics than myself can compare my conversions to the information above and tell me if it's too powerful, not enough, or whatnot. :)

along with elder brains and urophions, neothelids were in The Illithiad. of course, since neothelids were in the psionics handbook, i'm not going to be converting them. ;)
We'll do what we can Boz-man

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
ELDER BRAIN
At will - adapt body, astral projection, awe*, banishment, body equilibrium, catapsi, clairaudience/clairvoyance, control body, control light, create sound, detect thoughts, dimensional anchor, domination, energy barrier, fabricate, false sensory input, know location, levitate, mass domination, matter rearrangement, metamorphosis, mind probe, mindwipe, probability travel, psychic chirurgery, psychic vampire, sense link, suggestion, suspend life, telekinesis, teleport, ubiquitous vision, and ultrablast. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 20-th level psion. *This psionic power is unique to illithids, and appears in The Illithiad.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will - ego whip, id insinuation, mind blast/all.

These powers are also listed for the elder brain, and I'm not sure what their 3rd edition equivalents are, if any:
ballistic attack
complete healing
teleport other, time shift
ejection, mind blast, id insinuation, mind thrust, psychic crush
empower, cannibalize, magnify, prolong

UROPHION
At will - awe*, body equilibrium, control body, detect thoughts, domination, levitate, sense link, and suggestion. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 9-th level psion. *This psionic power is unique to illithids, and appears in The Illithiad.

ULITHARID
At will - astral projection, awe*, body equilibrium, control body, detect thoughts, domination, intrusive sense link, levitate, probability travel, suggestion, and teleport. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 10-th level psion. *This psionic power is unique to illithids, and appears in The Illithiad.

The following creatures were converted from 1st edition sources. I know that the attack and defense modes correspond to 2nd/3rd edition modes, but I don't remember where to look to find this correlation.

CESSIRID
At will - body equilibrium, detect thoughts, and dimension door. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 6-th level psion.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will - B,E/F,G

EMBRAC
At will - detect thoughts, empathy, invisibility, and mind blank. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 5-th level psion.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will - A/F

KIGRID
At will - body equilibrium, detect thoughts, invisibility, and levitate. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a ?-th level psion.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will - A,E/F,G,H

SALTOR
At will - body equilibrium, detect thoughts, and levitate. These abilities are as the powes manifested by a 5-th level psion. Saltors of exceptional intelligence will also have 1-3 of the following powers: astral projection, dimension door, dimension walk*, domination, hypnosis*, and mind blank.
Attack/Defense Modes (Sp): At will - A/F,G

* (These powers are 1st edition powers.)

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
also, here are the spell-like power version of psionics. since ulitharids are ready-made, they are the only ones i have for now. ;)

ULITHARID
At will - astral projection, charm monster, charm person, detect thoughts, eyebite, legend lore, levitate, plane shift, suggestion, telekinesis, and true seeing. These abilities are as the spells cast by a 10th-level sorcerer (save DC + spell level).

Ulitharids also had the forget spell.

Devon

First Post
converting powers to 3e

Here's a list of the power conversions:

all-round vision - Ubiquitous vision
create object - Fabricate
molecular rearrangement - Matter Rearrangement
ballistic attack - no real analogue - might just use Telekinesis
complete healing - True Healing (very powerful)
energy containment - Energy Barrier
body control - Adapt Body
suspend animation - Suspend Life
teleport other - no real analogue - perhaps Teleport Circle or Baleful Teleport?
time shift - Temporal Accelleration, Temporal Velocity and/or Time Regression?
time/space anchor - Dimensional Anchor
domination - there are several powers which replace this: Domination, True Domination, and Thrall
ejection - no real analogue
probe - Mind Probe
empower - this has been replaced with item creation feats (primarily, Craft Crystal Capacitor) - psionicists don't need any other power to charge a psionic capacitor
psychic surgery - Psychic Chirurgery
cannibalize - replaced with the feat Body Fuel
magnify - replaced by the feat Enlarge Power
prolong - replaced by the feat Extend Power
psionic inflation - Catapsi
psychic drain - Psychic Vampire

some others:
awe - Demoralize?
post-hypnotic suggestion - Suggestion?
mind bar - Mind Blank

These are in the Attack/Defense Modes section of the PsHB:
mind blast, id insinuation, mind thrust, psychic crush

Notes:
- taste link can be replaced with Sense Link
- the Forget spell-like ability can probably be replaced by the psion power Tailor Memory or Mindwipe (probably Mindwipe)

[edited for updates to powers list]

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Re: converting powers to 3e

ok, took a look at your list, and made some adjustments to my previous post.

Devon said:
Here's a list of the power conversions:

ballistic attack - no real analogue - might just use Telekinesis
complete healing - True Healing (very powerful)
teleport other - no real analogue - perhaps Teleport Circle or Baleful Teleport?
time shift - Temporal Accelleration, Temporal Velocity and/or Time Regression?
domination - there are several powers which replace this: Domination, True Domination, and Thrall
ejection - no real analogue
empower - this has been replaced with item creation feats (primarily, Craft Crystal Capacitor) - psionicists don't need any other power to charge a psionic capacitor
cannibalize - replaced with the feat Body Fuel
magnify - replaced by the feat Enlarge Power
prolong - replaced by the feat Extend Power
awe - Demoralize?

i'm going to wait a bit before i change any of these. as for the psionics that become feats, i guess i'll do some substitution. :) the other suggestions sounded good, so i implemented them.

These are in the Attack/Defense Modes section of the PsHB:
mind blast, id insinuation, mind thrust, psychic crush

i knew that. but, they are also listed among the powers as well as the attack/defense modes for the elder brain. any idea why this is? some things are listed twice, as it were.

- the Forget spell-like ability can probably be replaced by the psion power Tailor Memory or Mindwipe (probably Mindwipe)

this one was supposed to be a spell-like ability, so i'd need a spell of similar effect/power.

Devon

First Post
this one was supposed to be a spell-like ability, so i'd need a spell of similar effect/power.

Would it not be possible to (as necessary) give a creature two sets of spell-like abilities: psionic and spell powers? I don't see why we need to keep them all in one grouping or the other, especially if the special effect is that they are psionic abilities.

Granted, none of the psionic creatures have both (except the Cerebrilith, but that is a demon). I can understand trying to keep it into one set for simplicity's sake, but we have the powers--why not use them?

Incidentally, for the Ulitharid (since it has the tricky "Forget" spell), all of the powers except for Eyebite and Legend Lore have psionic counterparts--and even Legend Lore could be replaced with Object Reading.

- Devon

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Devon said:
Would it not be possible to (as necessary) give a creature two sets of spell-like abilities: psionic and spell powers? I don't see why we need to keep them all in one grouping or the other, especially if the special effect is that they are psionic abilities.

it is fully my intention to present the powers as
1. psionic powers as presented in the PsiHB, and;
2. spell-like ability "psionics" - i.e. like the powers the mind flayers have in the MM.

several individulas have stated that they would like the choice, so i'm going to list them both ways, and individual DMs will decide which they would rather use. i think that sounds fair. :)

as for the forget spell (and everything else, ultimately) as spell-like ability, yes i'm looking for a 3E analog for both spell-like ability and psionic power.

Devon

First Post
several individulas have stated that they would like the choice, so i'm going to list them both ways

I see--that makes sense. I will bend my efforts to that end.

- Devon

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads