• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)

Mercurius

Legend
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it. (If you know the reference then I'm guessing you're 35+ and remember the halcyon days of MTV in the early 80s, and AD&D of course)

Anyhow, I'm 40-years old and very excited about the newest edition of Dungeons & Dragons coming (does that sound like a confession? It is). This thread is meant for official (and unofficial) gushing excitement, a kind of countdown - for those, like me, who cannot contain their childish exuberance behind a mask of hipster apathy and existential ennui. To quote Elsa in my daughters' favorite movie Frozen, "Let it go!"

I'm especially excited about the PHB and DMG, but the Starter Set and Basic will do...and they're still a month away! I'm a teacher so the early days of summer - late June and early July - tend to be precious and I don't want to rush them too much, but it is hard not to wish it was mid-July.

Anyhow, I thought you'd all want to know (that's a dash of sarcasm brought in to leaven the levity).

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I've already got a couple of groups of new bloods lined up for when the starter set releases.

I forced the LGS to take my money today for a book tomorrow, even when they were sure they'd ordered enough.

Yeah. I'm excited.

Thaumaturge.

Olfan

First Post
Me too me too! I am buying the starter set for my seven year old son and my brother is going to DM with my wife and I as supportive characters. We're hoping the game helps the little guy with his confidence. Then in August I'm starting a game of Tyranny of Dragons for my regular group. I'm on about three forums every day like an addict excited for every scrap of info!

Yeah... count me in this wave of pure excitement. Can't wait to play the final game, I started to feel this way back in March or April, and the feeling grows as we get near the release.

But I must confess: the FIFA World Cup stole some of D&D's thunder. They'll have to agree to share my sheer excitement until 7/13. :lol:

the Jester

Legend
I'm very excited for 5e.

I am much more excited for the PH, MM and DMG than I am for the Starter Set, and am very hopeful that each of my players will be able to make a pc that suits his or her playstyle for use at the same table. The guy who loves 4e (I hope) will be able to make a character that satisfies the itch he scratches in a 4e game that other versions don't reach, while the guy who favors 1e and 2e fighters will (hopefully) be able to make a simple, straightforward, yet balanced and compatible pc to go alongside him. Meanwhile, our (relative) newbie will get to stretch her wings, so to speak, and try a bunch of different playstyles.

5e also looks to be the first edition this century to support mixed-level parties and "everyone starts at first level" style play.

At this point, my only significant gripe is that I have to wait. B-)

ren1999

First Post
I am not violating the NDA since the designers are talking about it.

In summary, the Starter Set is a box of basic rules used to teach people new to Dungeons and Dragons.

The Dungeon Master's Guide will not only be a tomb of modular optional rules.. (think of the modular way we have all been rolling ability scores ), but it will suggest ways we can convert not only other editions of Dungeons and Dragons, but other Role Playing Systems into a 5th edition multi-modular format!

Remove ads