• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)

DM Howard

Explorer
I'm very excited for 5e.

At this point, my only significant gripe is that I have to wait. B-)

My feelings exactly! I'm still very annoyed (sad?) that they decided to release the core books over such a long period. Yes, it's not really THAT long, but I'm annoyed I have to wait until November to have all three core books. It just feels. . .off.

Talath

Explorer
My feelings exactly! I'm still very annoyed (sad?) that they decided to release the core books over such a long period. Yes, it's not really THAT long, but I'm annoyed I have to wait until November to have all three core books. It just feels. . .off.

Think of it as being given time to absorb each release before the next big one.

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
I think we all know this. :)

I don't know; that bit about "other systems" is something that hasn't been mentioned. Maybe it'll be a part of the book that's OGC, and will include conversion guidelines for Pathfinder and FATE (which are the two other big open systems I'm aware of)?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't know; that bit about "other systems" is something that hasn't been mentioned. Maybe it'll be a part of the book that's OGC, and will include conversion guidelines for Pathfinder and FATE (which are the two other big open systems I'm aware of)?

Oh, I didn't spot that. No, there's been no indication from anyone that conversion guidelines to other game systems will be included. It doesn't sound very likely to me. I'm sure that's just the versions-of-D&D notes. Though PF wouldn't be a million miles from 3.5.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'm super excited! This is the third new edition countdown I've waited for on EricNoah's/ENWorld (3E, 4E, and now 5E), and it's a pretty exciting process; each morning when I refresh the news page, it's a little bit like opening one of the little doors on an advent calendar before Christmas.

I loved 4E, but it took me a few years to really realize that wasn't hitting certain spots for me. I especially loved 4E Essentials, because it felt like "retro-4E"--a step back towards old-school gaming, but with the design wisdom learned from the years and decades passed--but even Essentials didn't go far enough.

I've always had a soft-spot for 1E; the first D&D books I read were 1E AD&D from a public library. 5E looks like it's bringing back all of the flavour I loved, but without all the confusion and ridiculousness that came with early D&D.

I can't wait!

I'm exactly like you. Exactly.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Oh, I didn't spot that. No, there's been no indication from anyone that conversion guidelines to other game systems will be included. It doesn't sound very likely to me. I'm sure that's just the versions-of-D&D notes. Though PF wouldn't be a million miles from 3.5.

I think I read about that from Mike Mearls, or somewhere, I can't remember. But there's supposed to be (what was it, a page or two?) that goes over what optional rules one should pick to make the game feel like a given specific edition.

In other words, if you have a favorite past edition, they've done some of the work for you in what modules replicate it. I think this is great, because I've liked bits of every edition but probably liked 2e best overall. So I'd start there, and then grab the stuff I liked best from other editions, mixed with some of the best new stuff, and theoretically, voila!

BEST D&D EVER.

At least, I hope that's how it goes!

Zatsuku

First Post
It's rather strange how excited I am considering I wasn't the biggest fan of the playtest rules, (though they have grown on me, it's mainly weird things like any alignment paladins and humans getting +1 to every stat that bugged me, not the core rules) there's just something about D&D that brings out the whimsy and adventure in me. I've preordered everything, even the starter set, which I know I don't need, but I want to crack it open with my core game group and feel like we are those little kids again when our older brothers introduced us to 2nd edition AD&D with the starter box.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I read about that from Mike Mearls, or somewhere, I can't remember. But there's supposed to be (what was it, a page or two?) that goes over what optional rules one should pick to make the game feel like a given specific edition.

In other words, if you have a favorite past edition, they've done some of the work for you in what modules replicate it. I think this is great, because I've liked bits of every edition but probably liked 2e best overall. So I'd start there, and then grab the stuff I liked best from other editions, mixed with some of the best new stuff, and theoretically, voila!

BEST D&D EVER.

At least, I hope that's how it goes!

Yeah, I know about the edition guidelines. It's the "entirely different game system" guidelines that seem... let's just say "unlikely".

Verys Arkon

First Post
My excitement is growing too. During the run up to 4e I put together the Pre-Release Rules Compendium with the help of the community (if anyone remembers it!), so a much different launch for me from last time. As fun as hunting for scraps was, having the Playtest was infinitely better. Though there was a bit of a lull in my excitement after the end of the public Playtest, it has come back strong!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads