• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it)

Elf Witch

First Post
I am not excited exactly but I am very interested and am looking forward to getting my hands on the PHB. By this time for 4E all I was feeling was a lot of dread that it would not be the edition for me and I was right. It was a very sad time because for the first time I was no longer playing DnD. But I don't feel that way about this new edition and while it might not become the main rule set I play I don't think I am going to dislike like I dd 4E.

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
I am not violating the NDA since the designers are talking about it.

In summary, the Starter Set is a box of basic rules used to teach people new to Dungeons and Dragons.

The Dungeon Master's Guide will not only be a tomb of modular optional rules.. (think of the modular way we have all been rolling ability scores ), but it will suggest ways we can convert not only other editions of Dungeons and Dragons, but other Role Playing Systems into a 5th edition multi-modular format!

I didn't know that! Cool.

Yes, I'm very excited. Will be running back-to-back demos of the starter set July 17th. Also, I switched the con game I'm running in November to 5e instead of S&W. D&D is where it's at.

But I probably won't be buying or running the other adventures (besides the starter one). We'll see... really want to do my own thing with 5e. Vengerize it.

VS

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, I know about the edition guidelines. It's the "entirely different game system" guidelines that seem... let's just say "unlikely".

Oh! I see what you mean. Like using D&D to play Vampire or Rifts. That WOULD be weird.

(I didn't think it was likely that I knew something that you didn't...)

samursus

Explorer
I too am very excited. Of course I have been with each new edition. Unfortunately the last edition change split the group (hall loved 4e, half hated it). This time I have a whole tribe of tweens to introduce D&D to, so even more excited!

mechascorpio

First Post
Never played the early editions, I was a Melee and Wizard fan. 3.x was too bloated and 4 wasn't for me.

5 however, looks like the perfect (fantasy) RPG :)

Same here, though I did actually play pre-2E. We even mixed and mashed alot of The Fantasy Trip rules with D&D back in the day.

I've been optimistic about 5E, like what I've read and seen. But after actually playing 5E and playing with Morningstar at Origins this week, I am now crazy excited. Going to my FLGS tomorrow to pre-order the Starter Set and the PHB with money I didn't spend at Origins, and may even leave my Amazon pre-orders in place.

Dahak

Explorer
The Pointer Sisters reference really gives me a chuckle, as my Mom bought their album "Break Out" the same day she bought me my second D&D product "Blizzard Pass". I heard that album multiple times through as I played the solo module. And yes, can't wait for July 3rd!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I'm very excited too, moreso for reading this thread and everyone else's excitement, hahahah! I really like what I've heard about optional rules for 5e, and am genuinely hopeful groups will be able to tailor it to make it their best DnD yet. Release the starter set already!!!

PS - I've played 2e, 3e, 4e, 13th AGe, shadowrun 2e, 3e, 4e and dabbled a touch in some other systems over the years

Mercurius

Legend
I'll give these a shot - although this is just from what I gathered with a bit of speculation mixed in.

A few things are preventing me from getting excited:

- are they planning edition 5.5 already? I hate half editions.

As I see it, the online document--Basic D&D--will be the core rules of the game, always free and updated with any rules tweaks and additions. The Starter Set will be simple enough to essentially be an evergreen product, so coupled with Basic D&D you can play 5E indefinitely for very little (or nothing if you go by Basic D&D alone).

As for the PHB, DMG, and MM, my guess is that they will revise and reprint them every few years to reflect rules additions, tweaks, etc. Or maybe only the PHB. My guess is that it won't be "5.5" but more like "5.2" in 2-3 years, "5.4" in another 2-3 years, etc.

So rather than saying they're "planning 5.5 already," my sense is that they are trying to make room for inevitable rules tweaks and adjustments, which will always be reflected in the free Basic D&D document. I mean, we want them to continue to improve the game, right? I think they may have stumbled upon the best way to do that without pissing people off with a major revision every few years - they're offering a high quality PDF for free that will always be up-to-date.

- is this digital toolset thing going to discourage homebrew content, even a little bit?

I don't know how it would, especially when one of the key design goals fo 5E was to make it customizable for individual DMs and groups. If anything they may err on the side of too much homebrew encouragement and leave newbies and RAWists out in the cold a bit. But even that it seems like they're trying accommodate.

Remember also that the DMG is going to be essentially a toolbox for customization, so homebrewing is considered the norm.

Now how this dovetails with the digital toolset, I'm not sure. I'd hope that they have an option to add homebrew options. Given what we've seen so far I'd be surprised if they didn't.

- how is this community marketplace thing going to work? it would be awesome if everything were free to access but WotC gave micropayments to the authors based on views/downloads. That would be a nice compromise between the OGL vanity publishing glut and the slave labor of videogame modding communities.

- why did Monte Cook leave?

No idea on either one.

Remove ads