Level Up (A5E) I'm worried that Create Water will break my party's cleric.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure I see the relevance of the question, since purify food and drink needs to be cast on Supply and create or destroy water doesn't create Supply.
Before I stopped to think about it, the create water felt odd with not being potable, even in smaller amount.

Thinking about it, it makes sense from the standpoint of supply being food AND water, that it wouldn't make supply.

And so, keeping with the simplified accounting of supply it doesn't really do anything to have it either potable or purifiable.

---

I'm imagining the case in the desert where someone sabotages the waterskins (or they decide to eat the camels) or at sea where the water barrels are bad but they can catch fish. Or where the way stop's well had bodies chucked in it and is fouled. (Or do any of the things that get you supply specify if it is only the food part, or only the water part? )

What changes as far as the supply rules if the created water is potable or purify food and water work in them separately (even if not "supply")? Does it make those story ideas doable?

Faolyn

(she/her)
You'd need to read the description of purify food and drink.
I did. It said it purified Supply. Which is why I guessed that it may not work on created water... but it seems kinda weird to me. I can just homebrew it to allow it, though. I mean, two spell slots ain't cheap, especially at lower levels, so it's not like it's something that'll just allow the PCs to breeze through a journey.

Or I can just get rid of create and destroy water in the first place, since it's not really useful, unless you need to water some plants.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Well, this spell is now pretty much cosmetic only. Might as well be a cantrip.
We nerfed a fair number of things in service of the supply system. Take a look at the new text of the bag of holding item, too. No supply, no bodies, no bulky items.

We nerfed a fair number of things in service of the supply system. Take a look at the new text of the bag of holding item, too. No supply, no bodies, no bulky items.
Totally understand that. But this spell becomes so situationally useful that I'd personally never bother preparing it, and even less so spend spell slots for it. How many times can you reasonably expect to extinguish fires or do something that requires very large amounts of unpotable water?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Totally understand that. But this spell becomes so situationally useful that I'd personally never bother preparing it, and even less so spend spell slots for it. How many times can you reasonably expect to extinguish fires or do something that requires very large amounts of unpotable water?
I think it’s OK that in a list of hundreds of spells some are more situational than others.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think it’s OK that in a list of hundreds of spells some are more situational than others.

I'm imagining the case in the desert where someone sabotages the waterskins (or they decide to eat the camels) or at sea where theybrun out of fresh water but can catch fish. Or where the waystops well had bodies chucked in it and is fouled. (Or do any of the things that get you supply specify if it is only the food part, or only the water part? )

What changes as far as the supply rules if the created water is potable or purify food and water work in them separately (even if not "supply")? Does it make those story ideas doable?

Or is part of going with supply not having those things come up?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm imagining the case in the desert where someone sabotages the waterskins (or they decide to eat the camels) or at sea where theybrun out of fresh water but can catch fish. Or where the waystops well had bodies chucked in it and is fouled. (Or do any of the things that get you supply specify if it is only the food part, or only the water part? )

Or is part of going with supply not having those things come up?
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the question.

Remove ads