Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

Hey guys! :)

I don't want any nastiness in this thread, so keep things civil everyone.

dante58701 said:
The most powerful creatures in my campaigns are gods. Albeit they run anywhere from divine rank 0 to divine rank 100, but they do walk the face of the earth in my campaigns. As they once did in ancient times in other campaign worlds. They talk about that a lot in other campaigns...how the gods walked the earth and taught man this and taught man that. Blah blah blah. But in my campaigns it isnt just talk...its actually occuring. The gods each rule a section of the earth. Mortals battle for their amusement or for honor. Abominations trample nations. Resurrections are common. Angels and fiends fight in the heavens and on earth for dominance. Elemental forces wreak havok when their anger is aroused. Essentially, its a very powerful world. Any why do these cosmic forces fight over this planet and its creations. Simple..each cosmic being has it's own reasons. For the most part cosmic beings cancel each other out, but mortals are the ones who can tip the scales...since being considered insignificant, they are often times overlooked. Most battle between cosmic entities occur in vast deserts and wastelands. The planet itself is large enough to be a galaxy and is in itself a cosmic entity. As for the item, there is but one item that creates abominations. It is secretly a cosmic entity that loves to meddle. Epic scale wars rock the world in some places...while in other places there is peace for eons. It really depends. I call the world...Ovaterra. From the latin words for egg and earth. For a new world shall one day be born from the old. And that world will become earth.

I actually think it sounds cool, if a tad over the top (planet large enough to be a galaxy!).

You might want to check out a comicbook miniseries called Godwheel, which (if I remember correctly) had a slightly similar setting and premise, a resurrected Overgod was getting weaker and needed to find some ancient artifacts to maintain his power. The Godwheel was this massive flat 'world' as big as a solar system with a sun at the centre. I always thought the idea had a lot of potential.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/godwheeleventuv.htm

Theres also the story of the Octessence, which you could find interesting and useful.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/exemplar.htm

Personally, I'd shy away from having Divine Rank 100 (ie. Time Lords) involved in a mere galactic matter. I probably would go much beyond an Old One (Divine Rank 32) as the 'planet' itself.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Here's a quick step by step, U_K. It's really not hard, but this should either explain it all, or at least make clear where your problems are.

First, type the FTP address into the address bar. This should start with "ftp://". Now there may be a popup that says you're not logged in (picture #1), but if that is the case just click "OK" and choose "Logon" from the File menu (picture #2).

Now you should be at the login screen (picture #3). Type in the username and password. These should have been given to you already; contact the appropriate people if you don't have them.

After logging in, you should see a screen like in picture #4. Drag files from My Computer, Windows Explorer, your Desktop, or something similar. These should upload automatically, warning you if they're overwriting an existing file.

Attachments

• ftp1.jpg
    ftp1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 88
  • ftp2.jpg
    ftp2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 82
  • ftp3.jpg
    ftp3.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 79
  • ftp4.jpg
    ftp4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 78

Hey all! :)

Okay, just wanted to say I got the ftp thing sorted. I now feel ashamed because it was SOOOO easy, I was kicking myself after I did it. :eek:

Thanks very much CRGreathouse dude (and I appreciate the offer Rulemaster matey). ;)

On other matters, the cover should be finished sometime tomorrow (and as soon as thats ready I'll start the pre-ordering). I just noticed (and I know no one will believe me but I swear its the truth) that I must have subconsciously been channeling the original D&D Immortals box cover (even though I don't own it and haven't seen that cover in over a decade) when I created my own. :uhoh:

Anyway, you'll all get to see it tomorrow. :cool:

Fieari

Explorer
Hey Krust. With the pre-order thing, I've scheduled with my a group a playtesting session for a little later this week. The current plan is to basically do an almost pure combat playtest thing, running them through Alabaster's tournament, starting at Hero-Deity level, and moving up in power after every round, and each round will use your CR ver5 document, for equal EL (sometimes multiple weaker monsters, sometimes single stronger ones).

We'll then record our experiences and send them your way. I'm pretty sure that the balance will be perfect, as usual, but this way, we should have a chance to test out just about every rule in the book, and we'll catch anything difficult to understand or whatever.

Kavon

Explorer
Hey U_K :)

Glad to hear things are developing steadily now :D

Of course I'll also be one of the people who'll want to get their hands on that beta release of Ascension ;)

Now that my finals are over, I can finally focus on some other things for a bit, such as developing my campaign world a bit more again :B

I love the tournament idea.
My group doesn't meet until friday/saturday, so I'd just do editing/proofreading until then. I think I would roll up a variety of Immortals to see if there is anything overpowered (in context), and later give them to my group to testplay later that week.

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

On other matters, the cover should be finished sometime tomorrow (and as soon as thats ready I'll start the pre-ordering). I just noticed (and I know no one will believe me but I swear its the truth) that I must have subconsciously been channeling the original D&D Immortals box cover (even though I don't own it and haven't seen that cover in over a decade) when I created my own.

Anyway, you'll all get to see it tomorrow.

Excellent, please put me on the list! :D

GQuail

Explorer
Upper_Krust said:
On other matters, the cover should be finished sometime tomorrow (and as soon as thats ready I'll start the pre-ordering). I just noticed (and I know no one will believe me but I swear its the truth) that I must have subconsciously been channeling the original D&D Immortals box cover (even though I don't own it and haven't seen that cover in over a decade) when I created my own. :uhoh:

Anyway, you'll all get to see it tomorrow. :cool:

I#m more than a little excited by this. I was pondering an epic sub-game in my current setting, with players playing ancient heroes whose events reveal certain parts of the backstory: but I'd rather do it with your own fine system. Even though I've only reached ECL 10 after almost two years of weekly games, I'm gonna jump all over Ascension. :)

I appreciate that a properly formatted book may takea little longer, but despite the great board wipe of the whole affair I'm kinda curious to see what will come of the whole discussion re: the font of the Immortals Handbook. Your own website notes the polls that took place, but of course the polls themselves were washed away. I'm curious to see how the books look, though of course my primary concern remaiuns with how they play. :)

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I like civility...it makes things less barbaric. :D As for ascension, Im just dying to get my hands on that archive. :cool: As for the galaxy sized world...it's actually smack dead center in the multiverse. It's essentially where timelord equivalent gods go to relax and experiment. In fact...the whole of the world is their experiment. Not that anyone less powerful than an old one is even aware of this...those uber powers more or less just sit back and watch the world like its a big tv show. Then when they see something they dont like...they fire the cast (the old ones) and hire new ones. All the while, all lesser beings are essentially left in the dark about the truth. When these uber timelord types finally make a creature they like, they recreate it on another more mundane world. Of course fitting it in with that worlds evolution. As for the old ones...they suspect something greater than them is meddling with things on a subtle level...but they cant quite figure it out. The world isnt flat though, its actually egg shaped. More out of the uber being's twisted sens of humor than for any other reason. There are six massive moons and 6 massive stars...all of which float around the world. The moons are the repositories for failed experiments that could be learned from. The stars are the incinerators that get fed the crap experiments that have no potential. The world is also hollow and has similar moons and stars inside. Although these serve to maintain the worlds gravity and internal temperature. Of course you have to travel through crust and mantle that could in themselves serve as minor dimensions. The whole of this campaign world is kinda like a mini multiverse of sorts. Adventures ranging from common to epic can occur here. Souls from this place are simply reincarnated...or if unlucky...eaten by fiends.

Remove ads