Imperial Age Magick

Nowhere

First Post
In short, I downloaded the Imperial Age Magick supplement, and I love everything I've read about it. There's just one thing I'm not certain of: I'm thinking about running a high-magic campaign with the First Practice and a mix of the Third and First Price, and I'm thinking about having spells up for sale on the open market. My question is this: how should I guage the purchase DCs for spells? I already plan to have a +1 Liscens to most spells, a military restriction to most Evocation spells, and a Restricted liscense to Necromancy spells, but other than that, I don't know how to faily set the DCs. Also, should I handle wizards researching and creating their own spells?

Walt C

Explorer
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words! Scott takes the lion's share of the credit on this.

Nowhere said:
My question is this: how should I guage the purchase DCs for spells? I already plan to have a +1 Liscens to most spells, a military restriction to most Evocation spells, and a Restricted liscense to Necromancy spells, but other than that, I don't know how to faily set the DCs. ?

OGL Steampunk has a conversion chart between gps and wealth levels. Using that as a guide, scroll prices would roughly be:

0-level: DC 13
1st level: DC 18
2nd level: DC 22
3rd level: DC 24
4th level: DC 27
5th level: DC 29

I think that's about right for a "high magick" campaign (I'd probably add another 3-5 points to each level). In a low magick campaign, I'd jack the price up by at least 10 points (even 20 wouldn't be outrageous).

If you think it's too cheap or too expensive, just add or subtract the same number of points to each level.

Feel free to vary the price if you think a particular spell should be more expensive than other spells of its level.

Nowhere said:
Also, should I handle wizards researching and creating their own spells?

I'd use the mage's scribe scroll class feature in the SRD. Just make it a feat that requires Magick Mastery.

Walt

Nowhere

First Post
Thank you very much! I think I'll just add 2-3 to the base Purchase DC. As for the spell making, I followed your advice and made a rip off feat of Scribe Scroll.

Weavery [Magick, General]
Your mastery of magick has advanced to the level where you may create your own, unique spells with rigorous research and no small amount of effort
Prerequisite: Magick Mastery, Knowledge (arcane lore, for the First Practice) or Magick (for the Second and Third Practice) 9 ranks
Benefit: You may create a spell of any level you have access to. Creating a spell takes a number of days equal to the spell’s level. The purchase DC for the raw materials to scribe a scroll is 15 + the spell level.
You must also spend experience points to create a spell. The XP cost is equal to the spell level x the purchase DC of the raw materials.
Finally, the Mage makes a skill check (Knowledge [arcane lore] for the First Practice or a Magick check for the Second and Third Practices). The DC for the check is 20 + the spell level. If the check fails, the raw materials are used up and time wasted, but the XP is not spent. You can try creating the spell again as soon as you purchase more raw materials.
Special: Consult your GM when using Weavery.

Again, thanks for you input; it helps out a lot!

Walt C

Explorer
Nowhere said:
Again, thanks for you input; it helps out a lot!

I'm happy to be of assistance!

I sheepishly must admit that I misread your original post as it pertains to spell creation (for some reason, I thought you were looking for a way to scribe scrolls), but your Weavery feat looks solid, although I'd change the skill check DC to 20 + 2 times the spell level.

Also remember that some spells, especially new ones, require components with specific costs. You may want to do this initially as an in-game way to maintain control over untested spells (a rare component suddenly becomes rarer).

Walt

Nowhere

First Post
M'kay. One last thing: I'm thinking about importing some 3.5 psionic powers and spells as aviable spells (I've already made a lot of the normal Modern psionic powers as spells; I decided to combine arcane, divine, and psionic powers into one pure force labled Thaumaturgic magic until I can think of a better name), and was wondering should the following spells/powers be rated as 2nd or 3rd level spells in Modern terms: Energy Missile, Lion's Charge, Control Air, and Scorching Ray.

Last edited:

Walt C

Explorer
Nowhere said:
M'kay. One last thing: I'm thinking about importing some 3.5 psionic powers and spells as aviable spells (I've already made a lot of the normal Modern psionic powers as spells; I decided to combine arcane, divine, and psionic powers into one pure force labled Thaumaturgic magic until I can think of a better name), and was wondering should the following spells/powers be rated as 2nd or 3rd level spells in Modern terms: Energy Missile, Lion's Charge, Control Air, and Scorching Ray.

Energy Missile is similar in strength to Call Lightning, so I'd rate it as a 3rd level spell.

Control Air is pretty much the same as Control Winds, which makes it a 5th level spell.

I don't have Lion's Charge or Scorching Ray in the SRD, so I can't comment on them.

Hope that helps,

Walt

Remove ads